You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

November Nine - who's your money on?

Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
After having a mini-rant on how James Akenhead is definitely winning the WSOP Main Event come November, I had a little wander over to SkyBet.com to see if they had a market on it. Deep joy - they do!

Moon D (58,930,000) 3/1   
Buchman E (34,800,000) 7/2   
Begleiter S (29,885,000) 6/1   
Shulman J (19,580,000) 6/1   
Ivey P (9,765,000) 6/1
Schaffel K (12,390,000) 10/1
Cada J (13,215,000) 12/1
Akenhead J (6,800,000) 12/1
Saout A (9,500,000) 16/1

So, who is your money on? I think I will have a couple of quid on Akenhead, with Buchman as my insurance bet, Ivey at 6/1 has got to be considered decent value though, or not?

Comments

• Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2009
    In Response to November Nine - who's your money on?:
    After having a mini-rant on how James Akenhead is definitely winning the WSOP Main Event come November, I had a little wander over to SkyBet.com to see if they had a market on it. Deep joy - they do! Moon D (58,930,000) 3/1    Buchman E (34,800,000) 7/2    Begleiter S (29,885,000) 6/1    Shulman J (19,580,000) 6/1    Ivey P (9,765,000) 6/1 Schaffel K (12,390,000) 10/1 Cada J (13,215,000) 12/1 Akenhead J (6,800,000) 12/1 Saout A (9,500,000) 16/1 So, who is your money on? I think I will have a couple of quid on Akenhead, with Buchman as my insurance bet, Ivey at 6/1 has got to be considered decent value though, or not?
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Ivey to win IMO. I don't think that Darvin Moon will be able to keep running like God come November.

If not Ivey then it will be one of the two big stacks - Buchman or Begleiter.

Akenhead just doesn't have enough chips.

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You say that but one double up and our man is in contention. Ivey went so far to say he found Akenhead the trickiest player at the table in an interview. That's as close as you're ever going to get of Phil Ivey saying "that dude is good". 

Gotta believe in the dream, Grim! :)
  • Options
    Taller_GuyTaller_Guy Member Posts: 289
    edited September 2009
    I like the idea of Akenhead winning it, if only because he's a Brit and we haven't won the thing for twenty years.  I have a sneaking feeling that Shulman will take it, though.  As the rank outsider, Saout could be worth a flutter.  He has that Gallic coolness about him that will serve him well.

Anyway, they'd be my top three.  They'll probably now lose their chips quicker than a drunk outside a fish shop!
  • Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: November Nine - who's your money on?:
    You say that but one double up and our man is in contention. Ivey went so far to say he found Akenhead the trickiest player at the table in an interview. That's as close as you're ever going to get of Phil Ivey saying "that dude is good".  Gotta believe in the dream, Grim! :)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Yeah thought about the double up point after I wrote my entry lol
    OK ok how about Ivey v. Akenhead HU now that would be titanic.
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited September 2009
    hi  grimstar  my  money  on  phil  ivey  like to see akenhead  win  it  think  ivry  skill and   experience   win him it
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    How about Ivey vs. Moon HU, Moon with a 9:1 chip lead? That would get the whole 'is poker a game of skill' debate right back out of the bag.

Provided he had over 50BBs, my money would be on Ivey. If he's there long enough to make the last three, his read will be so good he'll be able to tell them what they'll have for breakfast the next morning.

Dave - pedaling yet more controversial poker views ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    hi  grimstar  my  money  on  phil  ivey  like to see akenhead  win  it  think  ivry  skill and   experience   win him it
    Posted by scrumdown
    Good shout on the experience, and for that reason I think Jeff Shulman is worth a bit of consideration. I personally hope he doesn't win it, just because I'd hate to see him back-pedal on that 'I'll dump the bracelet in the bin' spiel he came out with.
  • Options
    PiAnOpLaYaPiAnOpLaYa Member Posts: 554
    edited September 2009
    what are hte blinds and antes wen they start again?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    what are hte blinds and antes wen they start again?
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    I think they're 120k/240k with an ante of 30k, but don't quote me on that... am 90% sure.
  • Options
    RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited September 2009

Ivey is overpriced at 6/1 imo great value.

What are the blind levels when they resume?

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, 6/1 looks interesting - it's better value than Betfair, and that's rare for a fixed-odds firm. Then again, he has got to get all of the chips and a lot of those are elsewhere right now. While 6/1 is longer, is it *actually* value? Hmm...
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, 6/1 looks interesting - it's better value than Betfair, and that's rare for a fixed-odds firm. Then again, he has got to get all of the chips and a lot of those are elsewhere right now. While 6/1 is longer, is it *actually* value? Hmm...
    Posted by Sky_Dave

I know he doesn't have many chips right now but he is never a 6/1 shot imo. According to Neil Channing he should be no better than a 6/4 shot in this field.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Although to be fair Dave its pretty hard to determine what odds Ivey should be with the amount of luck involved in winning.
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited September 2009

P H I L  I V E Y .

And at 6/1, yes please!

He'll prob go busto 1st hand now.
  • Options
    Chompy_imoChompy_imo Member Posts: 75
    edited September 2009
    6-1 Phil Ivey is NOT value. Please stop over-estimating the amount of skill involved at a final table imo.
    I can't have Darvin Moon winning it from what I've heard but it's far more likely to fall to the second or third stack.
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited September 2009

That's the thing chompy, if its all luck then the person with the most skill is still the most likely, no?

That's not saying Ivey is guaranteed by any means, just the most likely.

His skill might mean that he only has 10% more chance than the others, but that's still a slight edge the others don't have.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited September 2009
    If it's "all luck", then the relative chances are directly proportional to the stack sizes so Ivey has very little chance.
    If he has a 10% edge (which may be a reasonable assessment) then the stack sizes are still the most important factor because there is such a difference in the stack sizes.
  • Options
    daveydaveydaveydavey Member Posts: 217
    edited September 2009
    Have to think all the coaching players will have had/done will have been on busting Phil Ivey, might be a good thing for Phil.
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited September 2009
    i would never back against phil ivey, the guy is a genius and will take some beating imo

webby
  • Options
    J-HartiganJ-Hartigan Member Posts: 2,756
    edited September 2009
    6-1 Phil Ivey is NOT value. Please stop over-estimating the amount of skill involved at a final table imo. I can't have Darvin Moon winning it from what I've heard but it's far more likely to fall to the second or third stack.
    Posted by Chompy_imo
    I'm with Chompy.  I've stopped betting on final tables of major tournaments.  Too much variance!