You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The phrase, "You got your chips in ahead"

bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
edited October 2009 in The Sky Poker Tour
Over the years i often hear someone   say, 'Well at least you got your chips in with the best hand" !! "As long as you keep doing that, in the end you'll be a winner "..Hello ???   What's that all about ?..
Off course you wont be a winner long term pushing All-in. OK i grant you if after the flop   you have the 'Nuts' (made hand) your going to be unlucky to get out-drawn, this is where variance comes into the statistics of the game .
However so often players get all their chips/cash in pre-flop based on the fact they have a premium starting hand, and scream when they get a caller who out drew them ..!!
Abuse and name calling follows in the chat box but the thing is this, "If you didn't want a caller, don't put all your chips into play pre-flop
The thing about the modern 'hold-em game' is it's tactics are being based on aggression pre- flop and post flop, However I'm sure if some players realised that if they played small pot poker in some situations and occasionally looking to get the "TURN" card, then this is when you can access the way the hand has been played and then make the move 'all-in, based on the betting pattern and the fact that there is only the river card to come and save them if they want to call.
A good   friend once told me, "Poker is a game about confusion, it's not about being predictable" So don't knock it till you try it, sometimes 67 can be a good raising hand, as can KK   be a good passing hand.
Ultimately we are all learning this game no matter if we have been playing 6 months or 30 years and anything that gives you an edge on what your opponents think you are doing is "Confusing" and that's poker my friends ..
Glk and may the poker fairy sit on your shoulder tonight ..Bennydip2

Comments

• Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited June 2009
    Well said Benny! Hold-em seems to have evolved into a "shove fest" where everyone competes to get their chips in first.
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited June 2009
    Well said Benny! Hold-em seems to have evolved into a "shove fest" where everyone competes to get their chips in first.
  • Options
    dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited June 2009

The phrase is mainly used when someone gets hit by a bad beat - you flop trips, end up all in and someone outdraws you on a runner runner full house on a non paired board like happened me yesterday for example. In this situation there is nothing more you could have done - you went in well ahead and the poker Gods decided it wasnt your night.

If you made the same play 100 times you would win x% more than you would lose making you a winning player over time so I dont see any issue with the saying or the idealogy behind it when used appropriately.

• Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited June 2009
    Often it is not the best hand which benefits from subsequent bets, it is the best draw. Getting your chips in when you are ahead is all too often, paradoxically, not the best play.
  • Options
    dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: The phrase, "You got your chips in ahead":
    Often it is not the best hand which benefits from subsequent bets, it is the best draw. Getting your chips in when you are ahead is all too often, paradoxically, not the best play.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Of course its the best play - you cant predict the cards so all you can do is work with what you know. If you then get outdrawn so be it but it doesnt then make your original move a bad play.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The phrase is mainly used when someone gets hit by a bad beat - you flop trips, end up all in and someone outdraws you on a runner runner full house on a non paired board like happened me yesterday for example. In this situation there is nothing more you could have done - you went in well ahead and the poker Gods decided it wasnt your night. If you made the same play 100 times you would win x% more than you would lose making you a winning player over time so I dont see any issue with the saying or the idealogy behind it when used appropriately.
    Posted by dowzer
    OK, without any knowledge of the game you were in IE: cash/ sit and go/ tournament/ late or early stage, or whether you were first to act ? Or what the chip stacks were !! I'm not saying you did anything wrong BUT 
    What if it was You  first to act after the flop and you made a bet of 2and1/2 big blinds ?
     Would he have called that bet  ?  Possibly but most  likely by what you have said, so you can then move Allin with trips AFTER the TURN still way in front but your opponent has only the river to hit !!!!!! Does he then call ?? The thing is the game is all about opinions and players having to make decisions, would he have been so brave with only the river to come ?
    You were very unlucky to get hit by runner runner, but you did have other ways of playing the hand, it's something i have done myself, getting caught like you did but if i have time on the clock to think the situation through,   then i prefer to trap witha small bet to see the TURN and then make the play from there..... Granted with a  7 min blind structure in these tournaments you don't get chance to make all decision's but it is another option to play a big hand !!

glk beenydip2
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: The phrase, "You got your chips in ahead" : Of course its the best play - you cant predict the cards so all you can do is work with what you know. If you then get outdrawn so be it but it doesnt then make your original move a bad play.
    Posted by dowzer
    Type 'Morton's theorem' into a search engine. It can be a bit heavy on the mathematics though!
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,396
    edited June 2009
    You want them to call with the worst hand tho. If you get your trips in on the turn and they fold their flush draw, your losing more money than if you get your trips in on the flop and they call with their FD.
  • Options
    paddytrinipaddytrini Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2009
    Look, the best players  like to keep pots small  for two reasons. Firstly,  the more streets they have to play on, the more chances they have to outplay their opponent. Secondly, if you get outdrawn you get away cheap. That's just two reasons to avoid shovefests. There are probably alot of mathematically correct reasons for doing so but that's for other people to discuss as i'm no mathematician
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Look, the best players  like to keep pots small  for two reasons. Firstly,  the more streets they have to play on, the more chances they have to outplay their opponent. Secondly, if you get outdrawn you get away cheap. That's just two reasons to avoid shovefests. There are probably alot of mathematically correct reasons for doing so but that's for other people to discuss as i'm no mathematician
    Posted by paddytrini
    :)  + 10/10
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited October 2009
    Posted by paddytrini
    lol
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited October 2009
    The thing about the modern 'hold-em game' is it's tactics are being based on aggression pre- flop and post flop,

A good   friend once told me, "Poker is a game about confusion, it's not about being predictable" So don't knock it till you try it, sometimes 67 can be a good raising hand, as can KK   be a good passing hand.

opening and 3betting light with hands like 67 is something that has only become widely popular in the past 5 years or so.

i know when I first started learning the pokerz that it was considered to be an advanced tactic to open C/O and BTN light, now tho it is super-standard and on certain sites it is even standard to defend 3bet light from the blinds to positional raises.