You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

My Broadband Sucks.

splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
edited May 2011 in Community Help & Advice

Having constant problems with my sky broadband connection. I have had a few people confirm to me that the problem is 90% likely to be the router, but after numerous calls sky refuse to believe me. It's come to the point where I will be switching provider. As I need a reliable connection to play poker.

Any recommendations for a good provider with free router etc? Please PM as i think it is against forum rules to post competitors names on here.

Thanks

Martyn.

Comments

• scouse_redscouse_red Member Posts: 5,968
    edited May 2011
    on sky broadband here too and getting disconn / freezing every single hand
  • splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: My Broadband Sucks.:
    on sky broadband here too and getting disconn / freezing every single hand
    Posted by scouse_red
    Mine has happened everyday for the last month. Internet loses connections for 2-3 mins at a time at random times. Happens every 20-30 mins or so.

I have made 5 phone calls to sky over the last week telling them it's the router...but they don't believe me and refuse to send one out.

Just had it with them!

Il hopefully be around railing soon! Gl mate
  • shipdchipsshipdchips Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2011
    Linksys E4000 N router will sort any connection out GL

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited May 2011
    Splashies, can you post up the DSL stats from your router, Bandwidth, Line Attenuation, SNR/Margin etc.etc.
    edited May 2011
    Splashies, can you post up the DSL stats from your router, Bandwidth, Line Attenuation, SNR/Margin etc.etc.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    I haven't clue where to get all this info......

I have now changed provider and getting much more than i used to for less money, so il be happy when it arrives early next week.

Thank you for replying, much appreciated.
  • The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,814
    edited May 2011
    splashies i had the same problem with BT they did send me 2 new hubs, now differance. Changed all wires, no differance, changed ADSL link, now differance. It turned out to be the little box on my wall,

I Have opened the box and the ADSL is now connected to the inside of that. I will by a new face plate at somepoint. If you try that see if it helps.
  • NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: My Broadband Sucks. : I haven't clue where to get all this info...... I have now changed provider and getting much more than i used to for less money, so il be happy when it arrives early next week. Thank you for replying, much appreciated.
    Posted by splashies
    Not to worry. It later occurred to me that you're probably locked out of the router anyway (I don't think Sky allow you in).

Those stats are useful when troubleshooting connections. DSL can be a bit temperamental, and like most things in IT there are lots of different factors that can influence things :( 
    For instance DSL often suffers a decrease in quality at night (many things affect the quality at different times of day even such things as street lights coming on!). This decrease may be enough to cause loss of SYNC / disconnections / poor throughput. The stats would tell a story.

I switched provider on Monday this week and have since been tweaking the DSL profile to achieve optimum speed with reliability.
    edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: My Broadband Sucks. : Not to worry. It later occurred to me that you're probably locked out of the router anyway (I don't think Sky allow you in). Those stats are useful when troubleshooting connections. DSL can be a bit temperamental, and like most things in IT there are lots of different factors that can influence things :(  For instance DSL often suffers a decrease in quality at night (many things affect the quality at different times of day even such things as street lights coming on!). This decrease may be enough to cause loss of SYNC / disconnections / poor throughput. The stats would tell a story. I switched provider on Monday this week and have since been tweaking the DSL profile to achieve optimum speed with reliability.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Very interesting. Thank you.

I will be activated with my new provider next wednesday, so hopefully all will be ok.

Il give you a shout if i have any problems.

Thanks again.