You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Betting into dry side pot.

razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
OK what do we think about betting into a dry side pot?
On a personal level the poker etiquete scenario is some what over stated,, yes i agree that there is absoultly no need to bluff on a dry side pot but im no way checking it down to the river if say the pot is well worth having ie 4 an example if i have Q 8 clubs and it flops Q 8 2 with say two hearts on board im never CHECKING this down im gonna bet, am i right to do this especially if its late on in tournament?
I love the fact its right to check down if u say you have bottom pair , but i h8 the idea of letting someone in for cheap.

So am i mean or just keen 2 win ?

Cheers all

B LUKKY

Comments

• Options
    Huck_NallHuck_Nall Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2009
    As far as I'm concerned, in the instance quoted, I would be trying to get some more chips out of the hand!

I think the 'etiquette' issue only applies when no-one has hit big and you are looking to increase the chances of knocking out the short stack.

I think it would be wrong to bluff a dry side pot.
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited September 2009
    Had couple of occassions recently where the villain bet in to the side pot with air. Most annoying on cash bubble of DYM. There is no need to do it here, even with the nuts. You are not going to earn another penny.
    Recent case I had was micro stack all in and we all called. Nice I thought, 3 against one. I'm in the money here!!! Flop comes 4 5 9 rainbow and i'm up n down for the straight. Lovely was my first impression nice and safe. Surely the small stack has gone in with high cards?
    The chip leader promptly goes all in causing all of us to fold and turns over his middle pair against queen 10 suited. Turn comes 8 (making my straight) and river hits the queen slap bang in the face to quadruple up! Needless to say the small stack thanked him for his considerate all in which protected his hand.
    Small stack did eventually go out so the end result was the same but why the fuss or agony over it? Between us all we would have had him out without any fuss as the other player who also folded would have ended up with 2 pair.

Utter madness.

Although there is nothing wrong with betting strong hands into a dry side, if you think your hand is good enough to get rid of the all in then why risk having that taken away. Same principle as re-raising to isolate.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited September 2009
    Yes.
    The bubble of a DYM or satellite is a special case.
    There is never any point in betting the side pot (unless you're worried about the SkyPoker league points in a DYM!).
    It doesn't matter if the side pot is dry or not.
    It's not a question of etiquette, it's common sense and self-interest.

In a MTT where the chips are important, it's perfectable reasonable to protect a strong hand and two pair is certainly strong enough to bet.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited September 2009

Mere Novice gets it right. Sigh.
  • Options
    razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Betting into dry side pot.:
    Mere Novice gets it right. Sigh.
    Posted by Tikay10

As always tk , he is the vorderman of poker..