You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sharkscope - What a joke

Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
Never really put much faith in sharkscope but i tend to look at it once a week or so at my own stats to see how i'm progressing.

I looked monday and it showed a nice ROI of 12% with the graphs showing my strongest games were 4/5 dollar (or pounds, not sure) sng's.

Now since then I have virtually only been playing 3.30's /2.25's and my bankroll has increased by the huge amount of £12.00!(not great but an increase on my week) but upon checking it today all my stats have gone down and the total profit/loss has also gone down.

My rating has dropped 7 points and my ROI on this type of game has gone from +15% to -5%!
At the same time my one dollar and less ROI has gone up from -9% to +10%. (this is encouraging even though i have only played 3 micro games this week!)

Anyone out there got the foggiest idea on how sharkscope works? Or is it just random????

Comments

• Options
    razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited September 2009

Hi

two weeks ago i logged onto sharkscope my roi was 64%,so was happy, since then ive played twice got in cash both times and yest it said my roi was 51%, so answer 2 ur question is i dont take any notice of it now m8,

• Options
    MRDICKIEMRDICKIE Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2009
    Hale - I hope you were not playing late into the night and drunk. Results are easily forgotten that way and have an adverse effect on ROI :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Sharkscope - What a joke:
    Hale - I hope you were not playing late into the night and drunk. Results are easily forgotten that way and have an adverse effect on ROI :-)
    Posted by MRDICKIE
    No, rarely play evenings. Did have one drunken game over the weekend but that was before i checked my stats monday.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited September 2009
    Dunno why the total P/L would go down, but the ROI can easily go down because Sharkscope averages it all out so if you say play 10 2.20 and 5 3.30 then ofc the entire stats will change.

Just looked and I'm on super tilt which is kinda funny.  Haven't cashed in like my past 15 tournies lol.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573
    edited September 2009

I've been saying this for years - please NEVER trust Sharkscope stats.

They are often inaccurate. I get mocked frequently by players believing Sharkscope Stats, & it's a little irksome, to say the least.

The only things in life that can be trusted are Policeman - they alway know the time. My Dad told me that.
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited September 2009

Tikay, are you saying Sharkscope stats are just plain wrong?

Or that Sharkscope should not be used as the ONLY indicator of how good/bad/indifferent a player is.

I would hope you meant the latter, however I'm not entirely sure from your post above.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Both, Jingle.

They ARE often wrong, & I have proof of that.

They should be used, as you imply, as an indicator to who plays what, at which lebels, &, in broad terms, as a rough guide to ability.

They are not the be all & end all though, & they do not measure Cash games.

'Stars, by the way, no longer supports Sharkscope, because they were very unhappy with the level of inaccurate info being displayed.
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited September 2009

Interesting.

I've found my own stats there to be pretty accurate, but did not know they had an accuracy issue overall.

I'll certainly bear that in mind, thanks Tikay.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Interesting. I've found my own stats there to be pretty accurate, but did not know they had an accuracy issue overall. I'll certainly bear that in mind, thanks Tikay.
    Posted by JingleMa
    I have checked mine again and if the total profit is correct then the exchange rate must be terrible at the moment. I know withdrawls can affect this but to date I only withdrawn a small amount.
    Nor have I made any further deposits since my initial deposit.
    I am keeping a more accurate record of what it says and re-post an update in a week.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Sharkscope - What a joke : I have checked mine again and if the total profit is correct then the exchange rate must be terrible at the moment. I know withdrawls can affect this but to date I only withdrawn a small amount. Nor have I made any further deposits since my initial deposit. I am keeping a more accurate record of what it says and re-post an update in a week.
    Posted by Hale72
    Do you have just sit and go selected or do you have all games?
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited September 2009
    Interesting. I've found my own stats there to be pretty accurate, but did not know they had an accuracy issue overall. I'll certainly bear that in mind, thanks Tikay.
    Posted by JingleMa
     DITTO!

The main thing that causes inaccuracy i find is if you satelite into a tournament then any cash is not counted. So people including myself find a deep finish in the open for example is not shown... In general though i find my stats accurate and the graphs update as soon as the tournament finishes
  • Options
    razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Sharkscope - What a joke :  DITTO!  The main thing that causes inaccuracy i find is if you satelite into a tournament then any cash is not counted. So people including myself find a deep finish in the open for example is not shown... In general though i find my stats accurate and the graphs update as soon as the tournament finishes
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Charles if its accurate your ROI is 3%?
  • Options
    SolidStan1SolidStan1 Member Posts: 235
    edited September 2009
    Posted by JingleMa
    Sharkescope does say what there coverage for each site, and sky poker has about one of the highest coverage at 99%, Although im sure it does miss more than 1 out of 100 games on sky. It seems to especially miss my wins. My stats do paint a good picture of my play, and I regularly pay the £6 for 200 searches, which I think is good value!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Sharkscope - What a joke : I have checked mine again and if the total profit is correct then the exchange rate must be terrible at the moment. I know withdrawls can affect this but to date I only withdrawn a small amount. Nor have I made any further deposits since my initial deposit. I am keeping a more accurate record of what it says and re-post an update in a week.
    Posted by Hale72
     You can change the currency under settings, By default its dollars, but mine is now in pounds.. Much better!
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Guys, please - never Post Sharkcope Stats on here.

It breaches Sharkscope's T & C's, & the Mods will get uppity. And you know how uppity they can get.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Sharkscope - What a joke : Sharkescope does say what there coverage for each site, and sky poker has about one of the highest coverage at 99%, Although im sure it does miss more than 1 out of 100 games on sky. It seems to especially miss my wins. My stats do paint a good picture of my play, and I regularly pay the £6 for 200 searches, which I think is good value!
    Posted by SolidStan1
    It IS excellent value Stan, as long as folks don't think it's 100% accurate. It's best deemed as "indicative" only.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Guys, please - never Post Sharkcope Stats on here. It breaches Sharkscope's T & C's, & the Mods will get uppity. And you know how uppity they can get.
    Posted by Tikay10
    oops, i didn't realize that!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If Sharkscope was that inaccurate they would not be in business.

The core client base for their product is 20 tabling SnG grinders on US sites who post on 2p2.  That demographic would not stand for constant inaccuracies in the data.  They will also be using HEM/PT and can cross reference their own mined data based on their SnG history against Sharkscopes.

I realise that it isn't perfect but I would say in 99% of cases it is a very good tool for indicating the level of a random villians play.

The big poker sites don't like it being used because they realise if a total fish stumbled upon it and realised that they was down 20$k on 5$ SnGs then that could be the wake up call they need to stop playing poker.
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited September 2009
    If Sharkscope was that inaccurate they would not be in business. The core client base for their product is 20 tabling SnG grinders on US sites who post on 2p2.  That demographic would not stand for constant inaccuracies in the data.  They will also be using HEM/PT and can cross reference their own mined data based on their SnG history against Sharkscopes. I realise that it isn't perfect but I would say in 99% of cases it is a very good tool for indicating the level of a random villians play. The big poker sites don't like it being used because they realise if a total fish stumbled upon it and realised that they was down 20$k on 5$ SnGs then that could be the wake up call they need to stop playing poker.
    Posted by scotty77
    Never thought about it that way, but it does make sense, more a fish plays the more money they get.
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Sharkscope - What a joke : Charles if its accurate your ROI is 3%?
    Posted by razorkev
     Yeh probably is but thats STT.... Iv been an MTT player on here mainly for 2.5yrs... I am generally break even on STT and historicly down on cash.. although saying that the past week iv changed my cash style while on a break from MTT and have been making a steady profit... As for MTT which i consider to be my strength I have a 65% ROI over 700 games which is where my profit is!