You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Who was the greatest boxer ever?

bandinibandini Member Posts: 1,802
edited July 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat
It's hard to argue against Muhammad.

And I guess a few of the old timers will have some other erstwhile favourites.

Naseem was something else when I was growing up but was found out. Lennox was pretty solid. Pac-man's something incredible.

But this guy in his prime was just about unbeatable IMO;

Tyson

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    FLASHJONNYFLASHJONNY Member Posts: 2,537
    edited June 2011
    you want to extend it to different weights eg midleweight marveloous marvin and so on
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited June 2011
    Amir Kahn 
  • Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited June 2011

Muhammad Ali i have a vast amount of respect for. I even read his auto biography. Recommended read btw, i dnt read and i was hooked to this.

Joe Calzage is also a good shout. imo the greatest Pound for Pound fighter of all time.

Rocky Marchano for a shout too. Although ive not seen much of him therefore either two of the above.

Lol @ Amir Khan,

• Options
    tallboytallboy Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2011

All the names mentioned are more modern day fighters but for me Sugar Ray Leonard was by far the best ive seen.

• Options
    NorbitNorbit Member Posts: 490
    edited June 2011

I'm too young to have really known the proper legends of boxing but Manny 'pac-man' Pacquiao  is amazing!
  • Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Who was the greatest boxer ever?:
    All the names mentioned are more modern day fighters but for me Sugar Ray Leonard was by far the best ive seen.
    Posted by tallboy[/QUOTe

Leonard was a legend. just got old enough to apreciate boxing around the time when him,marvolous Marvin Hagler,Tommy "the hitman Hearns and Roberto Duran where fighting each other regurlarly all at the top of there games.
    Any younger boxing fans i would definatly recomend searching out a dvd of these fights absolutly amazing stuff.
    just loved watching Duran
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    best british boxer would be interesting eg joe calzaghe jim watt john conteh just a few to get going
  • Options
    wynne1938wynne1938 Member Posts: 20,534
    edited June 2011
    best british boxer would be interesting eg joe calzaghe jim watt john conteh just a few to get going
    Posted by FLASHJONNY
    how can you leave out Henry Cooper?
  • Options
    edited June 2011

i agree cant leave out enry

• Options
    tallboytallboy Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Who was the greatest boxer ever? :
    All the names mentioned are more modern day fighters but for me Sugar Ray Leonard was by far the best ive seen. Posted by tallboy[/QUOTe Leonard was a legend. just got old enough to apreciate boxing around the time when him,marvolous Marvin Hagler,Tommy "the hitman Hearns and Roberto Duran where fighting each other regurlarly all at the top of there games. Any younger boxing fans i would definatly recomend searching out a dvd of these fights absolutly amazing stuff. just loved watching Duran
    Posted by BADBOY985
    +1
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,172
    edited June 2011
    Tony Galento

Anyone who eats that many hotdogs before a fight, who can wrestle an octopus and take on a kangaroo, has to be the greatest.

• Options
    shipdchipsshipdchips Member Posts: 199
    edited June 2011
    Really tough question weights ex ex ex 

1/Muhammad Ali

2/Rocky Marchano underfeated

3/Joe Calzage      underfeated however he did fight Roy jones jnr/Bernard     Hopkins when they were past there best. I know hopkins has just regained the title at 47 but I would have beaten the guy he fought lol.

4/Floyd Mayweather jnr  Underfeated At moment
                  V
    5/ Mani Pacquiao
      Please let this fight go ahead
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    two ton tony galento ill moida da bum
  • Options
    iwanttocaliwanttocal Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    tyson in the early days was unstoppable - i would take him against anyone in any decade
  • Options
    HITMAN_RVHITMAN_RV Member Posts: 8,688
    edited June 2011
    tyson in the early days was unstoppable - i would take him against anyone in any decade
    Posted by iwanttocal
    Agreed!!

Sugar Ray Leonard One of best technicians ever!

My namesake Thomas Hitman Hearns, of same era had some great fights, but had flaws, Try and watch series of fights between these two and  Roberto Duran !!!!  Those were the days!!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Posted by FLASHJONNY
    Greatest win ever by British Boxer, from way left field.....................

But When Lloyd Honeyghan beat World champ Don Curry in USA, was when Yanks never lost at home!!

The odds...........Lloyd was 20-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have never seen anyone so focused goin into the ring!!!!!!!!!

At start of one early round, Dons corner were a bit slow in their work, He was still on his seat when the bell went. with two corner men still to get fully thru the ropes....Lloyd was across the ring....and as the bell finished JUST!! Bang!! Had clocked DON proper, while still gettin up from chair , BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!

Never got docked point either, rule,  once bell rung protect yourself at all times!!

He went on to win brilliantly!! think he defended a couple of times well, before fading away, havin bout 10 kids, & putin on 10 stone!!

Was Defo One of Best performance's EVER by a British boxer!!

I Also saw Terry Marsh win world title live, when outsider gainst, african, Azumah Nelson i think, was in a Massive tent in Basildon! Big fight in crowd too, LOL!! Good Fight but not truly great!!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In my local, used to have beer, once in a while with Chris Finnegan, What a character!!

Olympic Champion!!, dont think he won a world championship but defo British & European, he sadly died couple years ago!!

My Boys were at school with his daughter, she can 'hold her hands up' too lol !!

He was Always Very Smart, suit, smart walking stick, cravat & flower !!

Cop a load of any of his fights, they defo dont make em like that anymore!!

RIP Chris.
  • Options
    yuranASSetyuranASSet Member Posts: 485
    edited July 2011
    Pacman
    Tyson
    Ali 
    Marciano
  • Options
    debdobs_67debdobs_67 Member Posts: 3,615
    edited July 2011

Sugar ray leonard was a truely amazing boxer,how would he have faired vs floyd mayweather jnr?

Imo of being an avid boxing enthusiast for 20 years my vote goes to...........................................................

FLOYD MAYWEATHER

xxx

• Options
    martin111martin111 Member Posts: 274
    edited July 2011
    Really tough question weights ex ex ex  1/Muhammad Ali 2/Rocky Marchano underfeated 3/Joe Calzage      underfeated however he did fight Roy jones jnr/Bernard     Hopkins when they were past there best. I know hopkins has just regained the title at 47 but I would have beaten the guy he fought lol. 4/Floyd Mayweather jnr  Underfeated At moment               V 5/ Mani Pacquiao   Please let this fight go ahead
    Posted by shipdchips