You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Are you a computer Geek?

freechips1freechips1 Member Posts: 861
edited July 2011 in Community Help & Advice
If so then please give me your advice.
Other night i tried/did defrag my PC, left it for a hour and when i went back it was in stand by mode, or so i thought.
Tried giving the mouse a wiggle (norm comes back on) but i got nothing.
Turned it off at the plug and back on again.  Now when i turn it on at the plug, the fans come on (3 of them, one in the power thingy box, one in the middle of the mother board and another at the side) and a little green light inside (power LED).
And thats it, i press the power button and get nothing.
Should i, Pay £50 for someone to take a look at it, they could say its dead or not worth repairing.  Just pay £400/£500 for a new one.  I dont want to pay out for a new one if it is only going to cost £100 to fix this one but i also dont wanna through £50 away.
Any advice would be great, please dont use any computer speak or long words, you will confuse me. lol.

Comments

• AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited July 2011
    Does the computer beep at you at all when you switch it on ? Has it ever beeped before ? Usually if everything is ok with your pc it will beep once or twice to tell you everything is fine with your pc.

Are you getting anything coming up on your monitor at all ?

Have you checked all of the cables to make sure they're all plugged in ok ?

• freechips1freechips1 Member Posts: 861
    edited July 2011
    all cables are in fine, the machine wont power up.  I dont think it norm beeps when turned on.
    I plug it in and the fans come on, (they should'nt just come on as i have not turned on the machine) and when i press the power on button on the machine nothing happens.
    edited July 2011
    Are you getting any lights on your keyboard ? Do you have an optical mouse (with a lazer underneath) is this lighting up as normal ?

Do you normally switch your pc off and on or did you leave it running 24 hours a day ?

edited July 2011
    thanks for your time acid, i appreciate it.
    Just put all cables back in and turned it on at the plug.  The fans auto come on again, the mouse lights up but no lights on keyboard.
    I norm have it on 10 ish hours a day, then i shut it down as normal.
    Its just over 3 years old, guarantee of 3 years obv.
    The screen and cable is still working fine had that hooked up to a laptop the other day.
    I cant understand how the fans and light on mouse come on when all i do is plug it in. 
    edited July 2011
    Update.
    I just held the power button in for 30 secs, (advice of pc world) and the light come on (green) but still nowt else.
    edited July 2011
    It could be a problem with your pc still being in sleep mode for some reason. If you had corrupted your hard drive by turning the pc off whilst it was defragging it would come up with an error message.

When you switch it on and the fans power up, have you tried pressing some keys on the keyboard of moving the mouse ? Then wait a while and see if anything happens.

Or unplug the power cable from the wall socket for your pc, unplug it from the back of the pc too, leave it for a few mins, plug it all back in and try again.

If this doesn't work would you feel confident enough to try removing your sticks of ram ? If not I can guide you through it first.

edited July 2011
    I would love to remove ram, however it will have to be explained in very simple terms.
    step1, whats ram? what it look like? LOL im so bad with computers.
    tell me what it looks like and what to do.
    No way can i carry on playing on a laptop, its so tilting.
  • POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
    edited July 2011
    Turn the power supply off and then unplug the power supply from the PC base unit - wait a minute and then plug it back in again - This will discharge the power in the power supply and main board which sometimes causes start up problems.

Plug it back in again and then turn it on - Let me know how you get on with that first.

The most likely cause is a problem with the power supply.

Q: Has the PC been switching off on its own lately?
    edited July 2011
    Yes trev the past wk or 2.  When it norm goes into stand bye, it has been going into sleep mode instead (i think).
    I norm move the mouse and it comes back on but that has not been working.  
    edited July 2011
    Found what ram is.
    Only one thing of ram, took it out and put it back in, still no joy.  Should i try and turn it on with the ram thing not in? or that a bad idea?
  • Patching99Patching99 Member Posts: 446
    edited July 2011

Sounds a bit like what happened to my computer at work, all power died apart from keyboard lights flashing and the fan and the little light you mentioned.

Turned out the the keyboard had shorted at the motherboard connection, I'm not sure how it was fixed but I had to get a USB keyboard.  Will ask at work tomorrow what they did and how much it cost.

edited July 2011
    Thanks Patching.
    Just opened up the power supply, it was thick with black dust, is this norm? had a little go with the hoover so it looks clean.
  • MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited July 2011
    Have you tried banging it on the side?
  • MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited July 2011
    OK, seriously.  Since when you plug it in and switch it on the fans start automatically I'd say this points to a duff power supply.

First try unplugging all the PSU connectors inside the PC and plugging them back in (one at a time so you don't lose track of what goes where).

Failing that.  I'd see if you could get hold of another power supply and try that.  Hopefully since you say you opened the PSU (not recommended, nasty capacitors in their holding a charge to catch you out) you'd be confident enough to unplug all the connectors from the PSU, remember what was plugged in where and put a new one in?

A spare PSU is usually about £30 from Maplins.

edited July 2011
    Thanks machka, i have the next few days doing work stuff so i will try the power thing towards the end of the week.
    edited July 2011
    Yeah would be a good idea to also take the ram out again (carefully, when the pc is unplugged and only touching the sides of the ram, it's also a good idea to earth yourself first), then switch the pc on again with no ram in.

Let us know if you get any beeps when doing this or if anything comes up on the screen.

Then put the ram back in and switch on again.
  • Patching99Patching99 Member Posts: 446
    edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: Are you a computer Geek?:
    Thanks Patching. Just opened up the power supply, it was thick with black dust, is this norm? had a little go with the hoover so it looks clean.
    Posted by freechips1
    Hey mate, the prob with mine was in fact the power supply, the result being it fused my keyboard/motherboard connection.  Sounds like trying a different power cable is a good idea...  you can always trust macka when it comes to computers!!!