You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What would you do????

goddenkylegoddenkyle Member Posts: 93
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
How would you play this hand???

Ok so its cash table 25/50 you have KQss UTG you raise to £3 and folds to small blind who calls, BB folds.
Flop Kd qd 3d
I go into this thinking ok s want to find out if he has a dimond so i bet £8, he calls turn comes Js.
I now figure hes holding the Ad so similer, i decided that to get max value out of my made hand so i bet £30 and is allin.
He calls shows Ad 9s
River 2d.

Ok so i lost but, i think i played it correctly because he only hits there one in 4 times? And i was sure he hadnt flopd the flush. In this situation am i correct in thinking i played it correctly in making it a big pot, because if i just make a small pot then im doing myself out of money in the long term????

The only reason im doubting it is becuse over last 4 days ive turned £5 into £360 and the only 2big pots ive lost have been in this way???

What do you think????

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,429
    edited October 2009

It's subjective 'Kyle, but for me, you played it spot on.

Make the play exactly the same, 1,000 times, with identical hands, & you can retire. FACT.

But you can - & do - play hands correctly, & still lose.

The maths don't lie, though. You played it fine.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks it means alot to hear someone else say that because its what i think lol....

Just have to abide by BRM an shouldnt have a problem i guess lol......BRM not my stong point lol check my Sharkscope its like a fair ground ride lol..

Thankfully my cash poker BRM is a little stronger. But those big prize pools in tourny's suck me in....
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Still searching for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow lol

thats my problem
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited October 2009
    BRM needs to be addressed.  Need to be looking at around 1k for 50nl to be comfortable.

I wouldn't raise to £3 UTG with KQss.  I think £2 gets the same job done and doesn't make you as open to light 3bets from the BTN.

Post flop it plays itsself.  You got the money in miles ahead and he was chasing a FD/gutshot.  As TK says you would be a rich man if you could play that hand over 1,000 times.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Here's the Maths 'Kyle.

(Your hand shown first).

Pre-Flop - 45% - 55%. (You are a slight dog here).

Post-Flop - 64.5% - 35.5% (You are about 2/1 fave now)

Post-Turn - 73% - 27% (That's MASSIVE).

So, get your money in on that Turn 1,000 times, & you scoopp 730 times. Those odds I like!
  • Options
    edited October 2009

My onl;y caveat is that K-Q (ignore whether it's suited or not, it makes almost no difference) is not the ideal hand to play Out Of Position. Better to play it with Position, given the choice.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What would you do????:
    My onl;y caveat is that K-Q (ignore whether it's suited or not, it makes almost no difference) is not the ideal hand to play Out Of Position. Better to play it with Position, given the choice.
    Posted by Tikay10

... and always shove with it!!! ;-)
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Thanks, maby i should have given some history to the £3 UTG raise, the table had been very loose and getting alot of action with ppl calling riases of !.50 and 2 with 97o j8o 45s ect ect i just wanted to flush some of those hands out and was varying my bets to try and find a cofortable amount which would work for me.

• Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, maby i should have given some history to the £3 UTG raise, the table had been very loose and getting alot of action with ppl calling riases of !.50 and 2 with 97o j8o 45s ect ect i just wanted to flush some of those hands out and was varying my bets to try and find a cofortable amount which would work for me.
    Posted by goddenkyle
    You want them to call with that tho.  You have an equity advantage versus their hands nad if their gonna get involved with J8o then they're gonna go mental on a K 8 2 rainbow flop.

If you are gonna be bloating the pot PF then you need to a) be a lot deeper stacked, b) as TK said be in position and c) be sufficiently rolled so if you get a flop like A Q 3 with 2 spades then you can confidently stack off.
  • Options
    tallboytallboy Member Posts: 375
    edited October 2009

How did you turn£5 into £360 in 4 days?

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Posted by goddenkyle
    OMG, I love you 'Kyle.

I see thread after thread after thread moaning & groaning about "bad players" calling with "terrible hands" who are ruining the game.

And here's you giving the perfect riposte - that we have to find a way to extract value from these guys. Moaning is not the answer, thinking is.

Legend, you.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What would you do???? : You want them to call with that tho.  You have an equity advantage versus their hands nad if their gonna get involved with J8o then they're gonna go mental on a K 8 2 rainbow flop. If you are gonna be bloating the pot PF then you need to a) be a lot deeper stacked, b) as TK said be in position and c) be sufficiently rolled so if you get a flop like A Q 3 with 2 spades then you can confidently stack off.
    Posted by scotty77
    Perfectly put, & thats why we need an adequate Bankroll - to be able to play these coups optimally without worrying about whether we can afford it if we lose the hand.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    cheers tk really apprechiate your input my head is fit to burst.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How did you turn£5 into £360 in 4 days?
    Posted by tallboy
    Well what i did was playd cash till i hit £45 then i start with the hourly bounty hunters, as to minimise risk of playing MTT's and i cashd in a few. Then i went back to playing cash low limit cash and that was that....
  • Options
    tallboytallboy Member Posts: 375
    edited October 2009

In Response to Re: What would you do???? : Well what i did was playd cash till i hit £45 then i start with the hourly bounty hunters, as to minimise risk of playing MTT's and i cashd in a few. Then i went back to playing cash low limit cash and that was that....
    Posted by goddenkyle
    Nice one well done.

Regarding the hand you spoke about i would like to think most people would have played it the same way. Just one of those things. Great attitude as well, least your not threatening to leave the site over losing a hand. We never seem to go more than a day with out some moaning about being out drawn.