You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Choices choices - what game to play.

Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
Ok guys I need your advice.

I have a smallish roll (£25) on sky at the moment, it's grown very slowly after playing DYMS (now up to the £1.15 games)

BUT 

a) I find DYMS very monotonous

b) I prefer Cash games

Now I know that DYMS reduce variance but all my record keeping over the past 9 months on Sky have produced these figures ( I have had other Rolls but withdrawn them etc..) :

Cash games (obv' micro): I average an hourly net return of £0.88
DYMS: I average a net return of £0.17 a game 

Now if we assume you can play about 1.25 DYMs in 60 mins then I am roughly making about £0.21 net per hour on DYMS.

So do I take the plunge and play outside of BRM on Cash or just do the grind of DYMS? I do hate them with a passion though - just the way they play I guess.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited October 2009
    Got to be DYMs when you're on a limited bankroll, in my opinion. They are much lower variance and the key here is not going busto. Until your roll is up around £50 or so, you're going to be playing cagey poker - and that is not good for your game in the long run. I would advocate multi-tabling DYMs until you're beating them for a very solid winrate, get yourself up to the £50 mark and then perhaps take shots at the cash tables for a small percentage of your bankroll - say 20% or so.

Just my 2p's worth!
  • Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Choices choices - what game to play.:
    Ok guys I need your advice. I have a smallish roll (£25) on sky at the moment, it's grown very slowly after playing DYMS (now up to the £1.15 games) BUT  a) I find DYMS very monotonous b) I prefer Cash games Now I know that DYMS reduce variance but all my record keeping over the past 9 months on Sky have produced these figures ( I have had other Rolls but withdrawn them etc..) : Cash games (obv' micro): I average an hourly net return of £0.88 DYMS: I average a net return of £0.17 a game  Now if we assume you can play about 1.25 DYMs in 60 mins then I am roughly making about £0.21 net per hour on DYMS. So do I take the plunge and play outside of BRM on Cash or just do the grind of DYMS? I do hate them with a passion though - just the way they play I guess. Dave
    Posted by Grimstar30
    Hi Dave,
    I'm not sure what is best but heres an idea.
    If you are on a budget then, if you can afford it, why not deposit another £25 and split you bankroll into two(with the same BR rules) and play half on DYMs and half on cash. IMO then you will see which you are more profitable on.
    You must, however, be stringent on yourself and not mix and match each section.
    Also, if you then want to use some of the BR to entry, say the open, you most deduct an equal amount of each section, no matter how they both stand in the + or - stakes. Just a thought, others might disagree, we'll see.
    col
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Choices choices - what game to play.:
    Got to be DYMs when you're on a limited bankroll, in my opinion. They are much lower variance and the key here is not going busto. Until your roll is up around £50 or so, you're going to be playing cagey poker - and that is not good for your game in the long run. I would advocate multi-tabling DYMs until you're beating them for a very solid winrate, get yourself up to the £50 mark and then perhaps take shots at the cash tables for a small percentage of your bankroll - say 20% or so. Just my 2p's worth!
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Agreed, definately stay on the dym's. If careful and really tight, the micro's aren't that difficult to master. If you wanna increase your hourly rate, try 2 micro's a time. Personally, tried it once, not for me. Concentration lacks to focus on 2. May be an option for you tho.
    Also have a pop at a few freerolls. Again you get very limited return for your time but hey. They dont cost you owt. Anything to help build that all important roll till its at a basis where you can go back to the cash. Alternatley, multi table with a DYM and a freeroll. I can manage that because the freeroll doesnt need to be your main focus until you get that  monster. That way even if you crash and burn in the freeroll, you still feel your time hasn't been wasted.
  • Options
    razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited October 2009
    hi m8

go for dyms m8 maybe play two or 3 at once but cash is gonna need a healhier b r tbh bud,,
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Got to be DYMs when you're on a limited bankroll, in my opinion. They are much lower variance and the key here is not going busto. Until your roll is up around £50 or so, you're going to be playing cagey poker - and that is not good for your game in the long run. I would advocate multi-tabling DYMs until you're beating them for a very solid winrate, get yourself up to the £50 mark and then perhaps take shots at the cash tables for a small percentage of your bankroll - say 20% or so. Just my 2p's worth!
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Agreed Dave. 

I did have a rule that I was going to only ever play dYMS on Sky for a few months, as grinded up a three figure cash table roll on the site ivey plays at. That is going well over there.

Back to the grind it is ! thanks for your advice.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    thanks guys. I knew DYMS was where I had to go, but I needed you all to re-enforce that sad fact lol

• Options
    jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
    edited October 2009

All depends what discipline u have an edge in Grimstar... y not have a litte go on the scarys... 55p/1.10....sngs... then maybe move to a 2.20... say put an allowance of 5 games or so as an experiment... start off at 55p.. that £2.75 incl fee...u only need to win one or so and ur even... just an idea worth mixing it up sometimes.. and if dyms are a grind scarys will be pretty loose and earn u more per hour than 0.17 current rate;-) good luck to whatever u do;-)

• Options
    edited October 2009
    All depends what discipline u have an edge in Grimstar... y not have a litte go on the scarys... 55p/1.10....sngs... then maybe move to a 2.20... say put an allowance of 5 games or so as an experiment... start off at 55p.. that £2.75 incl fee...u only need to win one or so and ur even... just an idea worth mixing it up sometimes.. and if dyms are a grind scarys will be pretty loose and earn u more per hour than 0.17 current rate;-) good luck to whatever u do;-)
    Posted by jimbo31
    Thanks mate, but scarys are too high variance.

I think I have decided I will stick to DYMS til at least Xmas lol then re-assess!
    Cheer fella
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,430
    edited October 2009

If the Bankroll is limited, stick to DYM's for now.

Whatever happens,. do NOT - EVER - play Cash UNLESS you are adequately funded for the Level you are playing.

Scared cash players = bad cash players, tyrying to protrect a thin Bankroll is no way to play Cash Games.

With a £25 Bankroll, you should never sit down with more than £2.50, which pretty much limits your choice to the 2p-4p Level. Even at 2p - 4p, pulling up £4 each time, that only gives you "cover" of 6 x BR. And it's very easy to drop three pull-ups in a single session.

Your determination & discipline to play within your financial comfort zone is an object lesson to all poker players.

Youi know those players who holler & hoot every time they get outdrawn, or suffer a beat? Well, almost without exception, the reason they go off on one is because they are playing outside their £ comfort zone, & so the loss hurts them.

Poker is a recreational pasttime, like going to the pub at night. A night in a boozer costs, say, a tenner* (or whatever), & that is money written off. Greg Raymer says treat poker exactly luike that - play with what you can afford to lose, & any profit is a bonus. 

* I'm pleased to say I've not been in a pub to drink for 40 years or more - I hate & loathe alcohol & what it does to those who cannot "hold their ale",  - so I don't really know what it costs.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If the Bankroll is limited, stick to DYM's for now. Whatever happens,. do NOT - EVER - play Cash UNLESS you are adequately funded for the Level you are playing. Scared cash players = bad cash players, tyrying to protrect a thin Bankroll is no way to play Cash Games. With a £25 Bankroll, you should never sit down with more than £2.50, which pretty much limits your choice to the 2p-4p Level. Even at 2p - 4p, pulling up £4 each time, that only gives you "cover" of 6 x BR. And it's very easy to drop three pull-ups in a single session. Your determination & discipline to play within your financial comfort zone is an object lesson to all poker players. Youi know those players who holler & hoot every time they get outdrawn, or suffer a beat? Well, almost without exception, the reason they go off on one is because they are playing outside their £ comfort zone, & so the loss hurts them. Poker is a recreational pasttime, like going to the pub at night. A night in a boozer costs, say, a tenner* (or whatever), & that is money written off. Greg Raymer says treat poker exactly luike that - play with what you can afford to lose, & any profit is a bonus.  * I'm pleased to say I've not been in a pub to drink for 40 years or more - I hate & loathe alcohol & what it does to those who cannot "hold their ale",  - so I don't really know what it costs.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I agree wholeheartedly with what you write TK. Just a pity we dont have 1/2p tables. But for now (after 2 days of temptation but NOT going on cash) I will settle back into grinding the roll on DYMS.

Your point about scared money is 100% correct. On the other site I now have the ability to sit with 100x bb and still be only sitting with 2% of my entire roll at a micro cash table. This has meant I can make those tough calls, or aggressive re-raises.

p.s due to my health i've had to stop drinking at all now too! so I am in your club. 

Dave
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    £10 Tikay? Nights drinking?

Wont get you the taxi fare to the town nowadays!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,430
    edited October 2009
    £10 Tikay? Nights drinking? Wont get you the taxi fare to the town nowadays!
    Posted by Hale72
    LOl, well as I said, I would not know. Don't start me off on discussing alcohol, & how it affects otherwise decent people's behavioural patterns!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    1st rule of poker, Never mix with ale.

used to play a little in our local pub. Amazing how many people are throwing the lagers down and I sit quietly sipping my coke.

Becomes very profitable. Over three weeks put all my winnings into a pot and used gave it to my husband to decorate the nursery. (I was heavily pregnant at the time)

Not had huge time for live games since, in fact only played one where 5 or 6 pals came round to ours, again the beer flowed and I cleaned up to the tune of £65.00. Not bad for 5p blinds!
  • Options
    GoodReadsGoodReads Member Posts: 202
    edited October 2009
    The 35p BH with 30 runners is worth a go if your on a tight bankroll
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited October 2009

Dave   NO  to cash  ... however DYM yes  but have an occasional  whizz(same stake) on 6 seat-er Scary..

Top 2 get paid and would avoid the monotony(as you put it)

glk benny
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited October 2009
    multi-table.  won't get as boring when you are 3/4 tabling as you will always be in a hand.

you can do 4/hour so at .80p/hour you should be rolled for .02p/.04p cash in a few weeks if you really put the hours in.

also with multi-tabling you can then recognise leaks a lot quicker, and I wouls say that your win rate will increase too

when you single table you get bored and its easy to get something called FPS (Fancy Play Syndrome).  in these DYMs, where the optimium strategy is to play every hand on a mathmatical basis, it is so -ev if you can't stick to that.

last night for example I had 2 cash tables up cos that was all that was running at 2.30am.  i noticed i was getting impatient, by giving away a stack, so loaded up another 4 cash tables on stars.  i soon felt a lot more at ease with my game and pwned the tables as usual for loadsa staxxxxx

once you multi-table you won't go back, just ask AJS lol
  • Options
    edited October 2009
     Dave   NO  to cash  ... however DYM yes  but have an occasional  whizz(same stake) on 6 seat-er Scary.. Top 2 get paid and would avoid the monotony(as you put it)  glk benny
    Posted by bennydip2
    Thanks Benny for your input. I have avoided Cash on here, played a DYM and cruised into 3rd lol so up to £26 grind it baby grind it!
    Dave
  • Options
    MH45706MH45706 Member Posts: 164
    edited October 2009
    Excellent topic Grimstar..some good reading here and excellent tips