You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Back to the drawing board...Tonight's Open

BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
After watching tonight's (probably last night's now we're after midnight) Open on 865, I've decided to set fire to all 35 poker manuals on my bookshelf!

Congratulations to Escobar on his success. But if that's what it takes to win, then I'm going to give up poker for good.

And for those who didn't see the 9 o'clock show, it should be available in the Sky Poker Hall of Fame. Even Tikay was dumbstruck! The winner did everything wrong, didn't play a single hand in accordance with Tikay's recommendations, hit every flop, often for the nuts, then took home the best part of two grand!

It was the best show on 865, well, since they started broadcasting on 865. A classic.

Comments

• Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Back to the drawing board...Tonight's Open:
    After watching tonight's (probably last night's now we're after midnight) Open on 865, I've decided to set fire to all 35 poker manuals on my bookshelf! Congratulations to Escobar on his success. But if that's what it takes to win, then I'm going to give up poker for good. And for those who didn't see the 9 o'clock show, it should be available in the Sky Poker Hall of Fame. Even Tikay was dumbstruck! The winner did everything wrong, didn't play a single hand in accordance with Tikay's recommendations, hit every flop, often for the nuts, then took home the best part of two grand! It was the best show on 865, well, since they started broadcasting on 865. A classic.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Hi
    This was Thursdays 10k bounty hunter, there was no live show tonight.
    But i agree with you it was pure gold, if TK had any hair im sure he would have torn it out.
    col
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Back to the drawing board...Tonight's Open:
    In Response to Back to the drawing board...Tonight's Open : Hi This was Thursdays 10k bounty hunter, there was no live show tonight. But i agree with you it was pure gold, if TK had any hair im sure he would have torn it out. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Thursday's show was it? Doesn't matter C, a classic anyway. I'm amazed Tikay still has any hair at all after that.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited October 2009
    wow one guy got lucky and was a card rack for the night.  good luck to him.  im sure if he does play as bad as you say then the moniez will be distributed throughtout the poker community in due course so let the guy enjoy his success.

didn't play a single hand in accordance with Tikay's recommendations,

Tikay is a great player and a fine analyst, one of the best on Sky, however that doesn't mean that every piece of advice he gives is the correct one.  thats whats great about poker, everyone has a different mind set.

I'm sure that if you could go thru this particular show again, then there will be hands that the guy played that he played well OR at the very least you can find some learning experience from.

finally tho poker is a game of skill however there is a luck element, especially in a fast paced Bounty Hunter tournie.

But if that's what it takes to win, then I'm going to give up poker for good.

well done, you are a poker snob....the guy may have got lucky.  big deal.  some people play poker for money, some play poker for the challenge, some play for relaxation.  some just treat poker like they would a roulette wheel.  its their choice.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wow one guy got lucky and was a card rack for the night.  good luck to him.  im sure if he does play as bad as you say then the moniez will be distributed throughtout the poker community in due course so let the guy enjoy his success. didn't play a single hand in accordance with Tikay's recommendations, Tikay is a great player and a fine analyst, one of the best on Sky, however that doesn't mean that every piece of advice he gives is the correct one.  thats whats great about poker, everyone has a different mind set. I'm sure that if you could go thru this particular show again, then there will be hands that the guy played that he played well OR at the very least you can find some learning experience from. finally tho poker is a game of skill however there is a luck element, especially in a fast paced Bounty Hunter tournie. But if that's what it takes to win, then I'm going to give up poker for good. well done, you are a poker snob....the guy may have got lucky.  big deal.  some people play poker for money, some play poker for the challenge, some play for relaxation.  some just treat poker like they would a roulette wheel.  its their choice.
    Posted by scotty77
    So you didn't watch the show then?
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,430
    edited October 2009

Hi Guys,

Well I'm glad you enjoyed the Show, I really am.

There were one or two technical issues, but great work by the Producer & the Gallery Team, & a bit of neat footwork by DP, &, to a lesser degree, myself, meant the Show came out OK, & I even had an e-Mail from The Suits - "excellent Show, well done", so that was nice. They send one of those every 8 years. ;)

And why was it so good?

Because our winner, Escobar70, had me beaten & bamboozled all ends up!

I had no idea what to say at times, he totally confounded me, but good luck to him. Eventually, we worked it out, & we knew what he would do every hand. Call! And hit!

It was quite extraordinary, he had a mountain of chips, so could afford to be lairy, & lairy he was.

A player called Pokeynose did his best, but it was not to be, & Escobar galloped home, "hard held" as they say in horse-racing.

The Blinds were like, I dunno, 20,000-40,000, & I'm giving it the , "well, we never ever limp at this stage", & Escobar is proving me wrong and after hand!

Eventually, Heads-Up, all-in Pre with K-7 v K-6 or similar, the board came 3-3-A-Q-4 or somesuch & I was so flummoxed by now, I said "it's all over". And the Producer shouts down my earpiece "SPLIT POT, WAKE UP TIKAY!".

Ugh!

Just shows, there are a million ways to skin a cat.

Well done Mr Escobar, it was huge fun, & why else do we play & watch poker?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hi Guys, Well I'm glad you enjoyed the Show, I really am. There were one or two technical issues, but great work by the Producer & the Gallery Team, & a bit of neat footwork by DP, &, to a lesser degree, myself, meant the Show came out OK, & I even had an e-Mail from The Suits - "excellent Show, well done", so that was nice. They send one of those every 8 years. ;) And why was it so good? Because our winner, Escobar70, had me beaten & bamboozled all ends up! I had no idea what to say at times, he totally confounded me, but good luck to him. Eventually, we worked it out, & we knew what he would do every hand. Call! And hit! It was quite extraordinary, he had a mountain of chips, so could afford to be lairy, & lairy he was. A player called Pokeynose did his best, but it was not to be, & Escobar galloped home, "hard held" as they say in horse-racing. The Blinds were like, I dunno, 20,000-40,000, & I'm giving it the , "well, we never ever limp at this stage", & Escobar is proving me wrong and after hand! Eventually, Heads-Up, all-in Pre with K-7 v K-6 or similar, the board came 3-3-A-Q-4 or somesuch & I was so flummoxed by now, I said "it's all over". And the Producer shouts down my earpiece "SPLIT POT, WAKE UP TIKAY!". Ugh! Just shows, there are a million ways to skin a cat. Well done Mr Escobar, it was huge fun, & why else do we play & watch poker?
    Posted by Tikay10
    As I said, the best ever show on 865.
    And this is why: Quote from TK: "And why was it so good? Because our winner, Escobar70, had me beaten & bamboozled all ends up! "

Great entertainment for all forum dwellers. It's well worth watching again if just to see TK shout out: "He's playing it all wrong!" as the winner takes home two grand!

• Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Back to the drawing board...Tonight's Open : As I said, the best ever show on 865. And this is why: Quote from TK: "And why was it so good? Because our winner, Escobar70, had me beaten & bamboozled all ends up! " Great entertainment for all forum dwellers. It's well worth watching again if just to see TK shout out: "He's playing it all wrong!" as the winner takes home two grand!
    Posted by BigBluster
    Lol, well I hope I never said that! We do try very hard to be positively constructive rather than negative when commenting on play.

The Calls were, errr, "creative". ;)

I agree though - well worth watching. Poker as you've never seen it before. Winning poker, too!

There was one extraordinary hand, too, which Escobar as not involvecd in. (He must have disconnected, because he was in every other hand).

The Board came double paired - Q-Q-5-5 (I forget the other card, but it was not relevant), & it was 3-3 v A-x (so A-x was winning - 2 Pairs with an A kicker). The neat thing about the hand was that the guy with 3-3 - whose hand had completely "disappeared" in effect - was playing the Board! - but he bet out on the end & stole it. It's very rare indeed to see someone get another player off when the playing the board! Now THATS poker.

Great evening.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Mr BigBluster - you've got me in sooooo much trouble!

I looked at my "Friend Requests" on Sky Poker today, & guess who was amongst them?

;)
  • Options
    mabsuemabsue Member Posts: 382
    edited October 2009
    lol i am a gambling man i bet its was the one and only Escobar
    who by the way is playing dyms this afternoon lol
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    lol i am a gambling man i bet its was the one and only Escobar who by the way is playing dyms this afternoon lol
    Posted by mabsue
    Not wrong!

• Options
    inka2003inka2003 Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2009

Think it must be Escobar's "5 minutes of fame".   He was the star of a TV show last Thursday and now the subject of his own thread on the forum.  That's what makes playing the SKY Opens so brill !!!