You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

POKER TRACKER TYP SOFTWARE

ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
edited October 2009 in Community Help & Advice
Is there any way Sky could come up with something that can trak the type of info we are able to get through poker tracker (and other poker records software available to buy) as the generic versions do not work with skys software? Im sure sky can access all the info required and could even run it as a subscription only service or something to vreate additional revenue stream??? what do people think??

Comments

• Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited October 2009
    there is 1 already www.sharkscope.com is web address ,

it dont track cash games do.
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited October 2009
    No.............

Sorry to go on about this, but tracking software means there also can be playing software.

I would hate the thought of a program giving opponents 'advice' on how to play.

Sky is void of this practice at the moment. I would prefer my poker on a level playing field. Wouldn't you?
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: POKER TRACKER TYP SOFTWARE:
    No. No, No. No. No............. Sorry to go on about this, but tracking software means there also can be playing software. I would hate the thought of a program giving opponents 'advice' on how to play. Sky is void of this practice at the moment. I would prefer my poker on a level playing field. Wouldn't you?
    Posted by Hale72
    I'm not sure why you think Sky is "immune" to automated playing software. There is nothing inherent in a web-based game that stops an automated player (or bot) from playing. There may be fewer available for purchase on the web but I suspect that would be on the basis of market size rather than technological difficulty - i.e. because more poker sites use a downloadable client then it is more profitable to provide a tool that plays those sorts of games automatically.

Also, Poker Tracker has NOTHING to do with automated playing - it works on the hand history and tournament information that is written to the client's pc during a tournament or cash game. It allows players to analyse their opponents (and their own) play after the game has been imported into the Poker Tracker database. It is a very useful tool and it is a big failing of SkyPoker that this is not yet available.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Im quite sure all this info is already tracked by sky they would just need a program that could extract individuals info, store and allow them to arrange / compare it. As far as "level Playingfield" goes then this software is not only available to the few. If it is a subscription based service then anyone wanting it can have it and any one not wanting to buy it doesn't have to. These types of program are invaluble in fixing leaks in your game (and i have many, therefore would love something like this). At the moment all you can do is check your MTT rating on sharkscope and think your doing ok if your in profit. As merenovice says, this type of software has nothing to do with BOT software. The lack of ability to track play on this site is enough of a concern that i am going to switch my main play to another site and only return for the main MTT's (Open, 5-0, primo etc). I have played on here a long time but i can't see any more advancment in my game coming from this site without being able to track hand for hand and have software that can break my play down statistically
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    P.S sharkscope's OK but does not give you the advanced statistical info that is possible through a tracking system - If you run my name through Sharkscope for Schedule tournys you will see a little shark swimming by my name a couple of grand profit and 55% ROI, however in truth there are many leaks in my game and my true ROI on all games played would be way below this. Tracking software helps you highlight and plug these leaks making you far more profitable. I think if Sky want to be a serious contender in the poker market then a program that can track our play is not only a good idea but is in fact ESSENTIAL to compete
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have never seen an automated playing sysyem available to web based poker sites.

Granted, that does not say they don't or can't exist. I am just of the assumption that if the techology is available for game tracking software then also the site is equally open for 'advising' software.

I base this assumption that game tracking software attaches itself to your game and records all of your hands. The obvious next step is a program attaching itself to your game and instantly giving you the odds and advice on how to play based on monitoring other peoples play.

I am not against Sky improving their own sysyem to incorporate tracking tools. Perhaps I am old school and fear that new technology presents new dangers, especially from third party sources!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have never seen an automated playing sysyem available to web based poker sites. Granted, that does not say they don't or can't exist. I am just of the assumption that if the techology is available for game tracking software then also the site is equally open for 'advising' software. I base this assumption that game tracking software attaches itself to your game and records all of your hands. The obvious next step is a program attaching itself to your game and instantly giving you the odds and advice on how to play based on monitoring other peoples play. I am not against Sky improving their own sysyem to incorporate tracking tools. Perhaps I am old school and fear that new technology presents new dangers, especially from third party sources!
    Posted by Hale72
    They are completely different issues.

If I had the inclination, I'm sure that I could create software that would automatically play hands for me.
    I choose not to because I play poker for enjoyment and because I'm sure that SkyPoker has rules against anyone using this type of software. The availability of a useful hand history has no bearing on the difficulty (or morality) of this.

As stated above, the information required for Poker Tracker (and other equivalent tools) is a hand history (and tournament summary) that would be written by SkyPoker at game time. Ideally this hand history would be in a format that is already used by other sites and hence would be available immediately to be imported into PT. As stated by another poster, SkyPoker already provides this information in another format (i.e. in the hand history option on the website) so it is just a matter of the format and location (i.e. on the clients's PC) of this information.

I'm not privy to SkyPoker's development plans but I would guess that a hand history in this format might be incorporated in the same development that creates the downloadable client (that's how I would do it, anyway :-) ).
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yes, as I stated, I have no problems with Sky creating such a package, and yes, probably this will be implemented as part of the downloadable site when this rolls out.

It is the fear of third party developers creating attachments to the site that I am most concerned about. Something Sky, to date, has been void of.

Now true, this may be because a web based service makes it difficult to create the necessary bots or it may just be that the footfall on Sky makes this unprofitible due to lack of sufficent interest in such a product.

Until the downloadable edition is rolled out, we will not be able to tell.

I sincerely hope they do not start to invade here.

• Options
    edited October 2009

Even thought bots are "just not cricket" are they really that popular and big a problem? I see lots in the conspiracy theorist forums about bots but the biggest players in the world still play nose bleed stakes on the sites they are meant to be opperating on. And lets face it, there are not many high stakes players on Sky, even the £2.50 - £5 stakes here hardly compares to the $200 - $400 stakes elsewhere so would it be worth any ones while to try "Botting" 0.25p - 0.50p stakes on sky?

• Options
    edited October 2009

Yes, personally I do think it a big issue.

Some of the larger U.S. sites have a huge number of players either using 'bots' or poker calculators. Some estimates have been put at up to 40% of it's users operate these devices.

Now I know that is just pure internet speculation and the figure could be pure guesswork, and the games I play (DYM'S) would not be affected by an automated bot left running overnight. However tools like 'poker calculator pro' can operate by giving the user advice on the best plays in sit'n'go's. It monitors your opponents and give you decisions based on there plays and previous hands.

I have in fact used this for a trial period after it was offered free to me upon signing with Party Poker. Hated it, it was too slow and you had to reset it every hand. I also personally think it didn't help me in anyway and it had no clue as to heads up play.

However, I feel some people will use it to try and create an edge, especially if their own game is not up to standard.

When a new game starts the calculator automatically starts and attaches itself to your game. However, when you play poker at Party in your web browser,(which you can now at Party) the tool does not work as it does not detect that you have a game loaded. This is why I am under the assumption that it only works on download editions of sites.

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Yes, personally I do think it a big issue. Some of the larger U.S. sites have a huge number of players either using 'bots' or poker calculators. Some estimates have been put at up to 40% of it's users operate these devices. Now I know that is just pure internet speculation and the figure could be pure guesswork, and the games I play (DYM'S) would not be affected by an automated bot left running overnight. However tools like 'poker calculator pro' can operate by giving the user advice on the best plays in sit'n'go's. It monitors your opponents and give you decisions based on there plays and previous hands. I have in fact used this for a trial period after it was offered free to me upon signing with Party Poker. Hated it, it was too slow and you had to reset it every hand. I also personally think it didn't help me in anyway and it had no clue as to heads up play. However, I feel some people will use it to try and create an edge, especially if their own game is not up to standard. When a new game starts the calculator automatically starts and attaches itself to your game. However, when you play poker at Party in your web browser,(which you can now at Party) the tool does not work as it does not detect that you have a game loaded. This is why I am under the assumption that it only works on download editions of sites.
    Posted by Hale72

So, basically, you have no ethical qualms about using this type of software yourself - it's just a matter of cost and ease of use?

Also, as stated before, just because one particular tool didn't work with a web browser based game is no indication that other tools don't.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I presume you are talking about texas calculatem (i think thats what it's called) as you have stated, you used it, you found it gave no real incite or help, and it couldn't cope once heads up.......... So if it doesn't give you an edge why would it help anyone else????. I happen to agree with you. It's a piece of cr*p and to be honest i don't fear playing anyone using it because it does nothing more than calc odds etc which i can do in my head..... calculatem is a very different thing to either a bot or HUD tracked info and being able to use poker tracker or even a specific sky tracker is in no way related to being able to use an odds calculater. you can open one of these in a web browser and use it by inputting you hand if you want to. It doesn't need to connect to the game that way and ill beat there are people playing here every day using odds calculators
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited October 2009
    I have never seen an automated playing sysyem available to web based poker sites. Granted, that does not say they don't or can't exist. I am just of the assumption that if the techology is available for game tracking software then also the site is equally open for 'advising' software. I base this assumption that game tracking software attaches itself to your game and records all of your hands. The obvious next step is a program attaching itself to your game and instantly giving you the odds and advice on how to play based on monitoring other peoples play. I am not against Sky improving their own sysyem to incorporate tracking tools. Perhaps I am old school and fear that new technology presents new dangers, especially from third party sources!
    Posted by Hale72
    What do you mean you never seen one, im an automated playing system, im available 10pm - midnight on saturdays, however 'snap' and 'Newmarket' are the only games ive been programmed for, i will let you know when poker becomes available - beep beep  
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: POKER TRACKER TYP SOFTWARE : What do you mean you never seen one, im an automated playing system, im available 10pm - midnight on saturdays, however 'snap' and 'Newmarket' are the only games ive been programmed for, i will let you know when poker becomes available - beep beep  
    Posted by loonytoons
    just remember to keep him well oiled, folks.
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited October 2009
    luv this  thread  nice one  peeps .. glk guys
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited October 2009
    I posted a thread similar to this a good while ago.  I was led to believe that pokertracker WILL be compatable with sky in the not too distant future. I would imagine it will be after the download client is available which I think is due out early/mid next year.  I have mixed feelings about pt. I use it on other sites and it is a very good tool.  
    I wouldnt quite call it cheating, but what I would call cheating is datamining.  I`ve got a feeling that most sites have put a stop to this, but, before I had pt3, I had `poker office`.  I could load up 10 tables, not sitting at any, leave my pc on overnight and it would track the stats of all those players for that time.

Like I said, I have a feeling most sites have done away with allowing this.

PS, It isnt pt that ruins online poker for the masses, it is multitabling, imo.  I only multitable coz its allowed
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: POKER TRACKER TYP SOFTWARE : So, basically, you have no ethical qualms about using this type of software yourself - it's just a matter of cost and ease of use? Also, as stated before, just because one particular tool didn't work with a web browser based game is no indication that other tools don't.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Yes, I do have ethical issues with the use of such software. Why do you think I am here instead of over at Party letting some program do the work for me? And also why do you think I am so against the use of such software?

I tried it as a freebie, mainly to see if this stuff actually worked. I wasn't impressed with it's performance nor it's capabilities. However, that isn't to say that others might find this type of tool useful. Within 48 hours of this program being downloaded to my laptop, it was swiftly deleted.

Yes, by admitting openly on this forum that I have tried this type of software, I found slightly embarrassing but posted the previous comment having had first hand experience of such tools.

Also, yes granted, my computer capabilities are quite limited, and as such, I do not understand how these programs truely work and how some devices only work in a download version and not in the web browser version. To this end, I have drawn (perhaps incorrectly) that these tools work at their best when the sites 'code' is made available for other programmers to exploit.

Again, (with my limited knowledge) I assume that this 'code' is easier to exploit on a download version. It just may be that with the small client base here that it is not worth the trouble and effort for companies to provide such materials as the market would be too limited.

Either way, I still love my poker untarnished, so to speak, and I truely hope others who play here feel the same. If not, my days playing poker here, or at any site where these programs are prevalent, are truely numbered.

If you know of programs available for this site, (I certainly don't) please let me know.
    I am not interested at all in the name of the program, nor where it can be purchased from but I do have a need to know whether I am playing against a mind or a machine.

Hate to rant on about this Merenovice, and I genuinely do have a lot of respect for you and your game, (I have played with you many, many times now) and your comments are very much appreciated. Your mathematical and computer knowledge way outstrips mine and if anyone can put me on the right track regarding this issue, I have no doubts whatsoever it is you.

See you next time at the tables mate, and without doubt, when you do see me there, you can be assured that the only thing helping me on my game is my own brain.

P.S. I do genuinly like the idea of full game histories as it would show me directly shortfalls in my own game and give me opportunity to improve. I feel my own game is severely let down on plays in the small blind and also the cash bubble. The vast majority of games where I don't cash I tend to finish fourth but a more accurate record of this would no doubt improve my overall ROI.

However, I would prefer this to be available from Sky, even as a paid option. I still do not like the idea of a third party company giving me this information. If they can tell me this, then what else can they tell me or other players about my game????
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hale, thanks for your post.
    I'll try to cover your points as clearly as I can.

1. Yes, "proper" hand histories would be a great improvement in SkyPoker which is all that the original poster was requesting. Tools like PT are very useful aids to improving ones own game - they provide analysis of hands played in many different formats and allow players to identify "leaks" and offer various other facilities.

2. The provision of hand histories in no way influences the likelihood that automated playing or "in stream" advice/analysis tools will be available. I'm sorry that I have re-iterated this strongly several times but it is VERY important. The levels of paranoia among players on this site is already extremely high and any misleading statements that increase this paranoia have to be corrected before it escalates out of control.

3. I'm pretty sure that technically there is very little difference between automated playing tools for downloaded clients or web-based games.

4. I'm not aware of any automated playing tools currenly available for SkyPoker. I haven't really looked into it because they don't interest me.

I too look forward to playing you in the future (and personally I don't care how many bots I play against although their conversation skills are a tad lacking).
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yes, paranoia probably plays a huge part in this for me. And yes, I have a habit of taking a subject such as poker tracking software and try and find the worst possible scenario.

It's just that there will always be someone who wants to exloit situations for a quick buck and by having attachments to games will ultimately bring some unscroupilous person to the front and create unfair tools.

If everyone was honest then tools similar to that referred to above would never have been created and I do genuinely feel that sites that do suffer this problem are not happy about it but are virtually powerless to stop them. Yes, I have read that if caught using automated bots will result in a ban from the site but no site I have seen states that these 'advisors' are against the rules.

Like I say, I was offered one for free for signing to a site. If that doesn't create mixed signals I don't know what does.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    To Be Honest they are a learning tool, you will play every day against people who can work out odds instantaniously in their head and know the required bet / response. But those players didn't start out that way, it's a learned response (and mental arithmatic) based on the situation. An attachment can give you the maths but thats about it. And most people have the maths in their head anyway. Most people put these things to one side like you did yourself as they are actually quite annoying once you can read the situation yourself. I honestly wouldn't fear an influx of these attachments to this site even with the download version as most people (even if they are new to the site) are not new to poker as a game and there is only so much enjoment you can get from carrying out the actions told to you by the odds calulator