You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Is it the software

RAINTOWNRAINTOWN Member Posts: 8
edited October 2009 in The Sky Poker Tour
I have not played poker on line for long . But early on I noticed something strange happening when players go allin.
I have noticed it on full tilt and poker stars and here infact everytime I play on line it happens.

If a player goes allin and he is called by 1 or more players if he has the weakest hand and there are cards to come (flop,turn,river) he will improve and win.Then I say the weakest hand I don,t mean a poor hand eg

player A goes allin, player B calls and player C calls

A has  QQ
B has  KK
C has  A8s

The Ks are the fav but because the weakest hand pushed allin that hand will win and in this case the Q came on the river and the weakest hand won the pot.

IS this the way the software works to make it more exciting

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,027
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Is it the software:
    I have not played poker on line for long . But early on I noticed something strange happening when players go allin. I have noticed it on full tilt and poker stars and here infact everytime I play on line it happens. If a player goes allin and he is called by 1 or more players if he has the weakest hand and there are cards to come (flop,turn,river) he will improve and win.Then I say the weakest hand I don,t mean a poor hand eg player A goes allin, player B calls and player C calls A has  QQ B has  KK C has  A8s The Ks are the fav but because the weakest hand pushed allin that hand will win and in this case the Q came on the river and the weakest hand won the pot. IS this the way the software works to make it more exciting
    Posted by RAINTOWN
    Hi Raintown,

No - it's not the way the software works, it's the way our minds work.

We expect K-K to beat Q-Q & A-8, & it usually does. So it does not register in our mind.

When the A-8 wins, because it is unexpected, it does register in our mind.

Note also that you say the "the Q came on the River & the weakest hand won". In fact the weakest hand was not Q-Q, but A-8, so the weakest hand never won.

Perversely, in Maths terms, Q-Q had the least chance of winning out of all three hands. Pre-Flop, The K-K was 58%, the Q-Q was 17.5%, & the A-8 25%.

Finally, A-8, the weakest hand of the 3, was 25% pre-flop to win that. So, it will win 1 time in 4. Compare that with hitting a number on Roulette, which is, I think, 36/1.

No hand in Poker is ever without a realistic chance. Even A-A v 2-7 is only 87.5% v 12.5%. So that's about 7/1. Nobody raises an eyebrow when a 7/1 shot wins a horse-race, but when 2-7 beats A-A people are surprised.

PS - I'm not sure why this Thread is in "Sky Poker Tour"!