You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

cheating or just bad play?

chrisbhoychrisbhoy Member Posts: 302
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

I was playing a double your money yesterday and was down to 4 players.
1 player was down to 115 chips so clearly had to go all in so they did. But the player next to them went all in with 6000 chips! clearly the other 2 didnt call. The guy who went all in had nothing so the low stack trebled up. this happened once more which at first i thought the guy who was going all in was just being a fool but then this happened. The low stack was on small blind and obvouisly went all in again against the big blind who would have needed to use a mighty 110 chips to call their all in but thought about it for a while before folding. This sort of play irritated me and the other player on the table  and nearly cost us till we could eventually knock this person out before the big stack managed to give the short stack even more chips.

As far as I am concerned that was blatant cheating but I was wondering what other people thought. The 2 players inquestion shall emain nameless for time being however what made it worse was the good luck messages and so forth to each other in the chat box!

Comments

• Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited October 2009
    In Response to cheating or just bad play?:
    Hi all, I was playing a double your money yesterday and was down to 4 players. 1 player was down to 115 chips so clearly had to go all in so they did. But the player next to them went all in with 6000 chips! clearly the other 2 didnt call. The guy who went all in had nothing so the low stack trebled up. this happened once more which at first i thought the guy who was going all in was just being a fool but then this happened. The low stack was on small blind and obvouisly went all in again against the big blind who would have needed to use a mighty 110 chips to call their all in but thought about it for a while before folding. This sort of play irritated me and the other player on the table  and nearly cost us till we could eventually knock this person out before the big stack managed to give the short stack even more chips. As far as I am concerned that was blatant cheating but I was wondering what other people thought. The 2 players inquestion shall emain nameless for time being however what made it worse was the good luck messages and so forth to each other in the chat box!
    Posted by chrisbhoy
    if you have doubts about these 2 players pass it onto customer care to investigate.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573
    edited October 2009

Probably incompetenence more than collusion or cheating, but you might be right.

If you suspect soft-play, collusion, or Multi-Accounting (all of which are cheating) you should always report it to Customer Care - they investigate these things most thoroughly, & take action as appropriate.

To be fair, the dynamic in DYM's when there are 4 players left is really quite awkward - everyone wants & hopes the Shortie will bust out. There are certain "conventions" here - checking it down, for example, is frequently done. That's not cheating, or collusion, it's basic strategy in that spot, as long as it's not suggested in the Chat Box, which would be improper.

Poker is a game for individuals, & in my view, working as a Team is not healthy, which is why, personally, I'm not a fan of Team Poker.

Essentially, we all pay our own Entry Fees, & we should all play our own game. What others do, so long as it's within the Rules, is up to them.
  • Options
    Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: cheating or just bad play?:
    In Response to cheating or just bad play? : if you have doubts about these 2 players pass it onto customer care to investigate.
    Posted by mr_mbro
    exactly. if you suspect any cheating has taken please please report it to customer care by clicking here and following the instructions.

thanks
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited October 2009
    Good to see you back Rich, hope you had a nice break?

With regards to the play in question I can certainly see why someone could think it would be cheating/collusion, but as Tikay says it could just as easily be incompetence. I'm guessing the blinds would've been somewhere around the 150/300+ mark so I'm calling all day there from the big blind regardless of what I'm holding.
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited October 2009
    certainly, it's very bad ettiquette to re raise on the cash bubble in cases like this, he is effectively protecting the shorties hand from multiple callers.

It happens too often here for my liking, there is nothing extra to earn from it and is one of my biggest gripes.
  • Options
    Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited October 2009
    yes, not bad thanks silentbob.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Good to see you back Rich, hope you had a nice break? With regards to the play in question I can certainly see why someone  could think it would be cheating/collusion, but as Tikay says it could just as easily be incompetence. I'm guessing the blinds would've been somewhere around the 150/300+ mark so I'm calling all day there from the big blind regardless of what I'm holding.
    Posted by silentbob
    Calling yes, certainly not raising.

To shove all in over the top for 6000 was bad enough, but to later fold for 110 is disgraceful, he obviously had enough chips to make the call. I'm surprised the anti collusion software didn't notice that one.

If there were other min raise/insta fold situations then it would put more suspision on them.

Depending on how friendly the chat was, I would certainly consider a quick call to the customer care centre for them to have a look at the history of the game. You can find the game number under my tables, then finished.

I suppose it would be very difficult for them to prove either way any wrong doing, but maybe if there is a large proportion of games they play together it may serve to produce a pattern and doubts. I do play the same players regularly here but if I meet a player more than twice in a day, I find it unusual.

At the end of the day, what stakes were being played? It may have purely been poor play/bad ettiquette. If it were a 30p or so, I would be more inclined to believe bad play. I assume it was this sort of level as anyone five quid and above usually knows the score on short stacks.

I never tend to play with friends because of this very reason. My husband has a poker account on another site as well as me and we never play at the same time, even if we are playing different games. You don't need doubts cast, even if you are innocent.

That, and we have to share the laptop!
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited October 2009
    Totally agree Hale. I'm never raising here either
  • Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited October 2009
    again like hale i call, hope the other two players call and check it down.

I play DYM's alot, at a low level and even if i have a and thats AA i dont raise here as i know the other player may hit on the flop and beat my AA, but another caller may also hit on the same flop.

I see fully why you think this is cheating, i would be of the exact same view, even on a low pay table. I play mainly 30 and 60p DYMs trying to build up to that vital £10 mark lol and i have never seen this ever.

I hope this doesnt happen again to yourself, and i can understand why you are frustrated at this.
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited October 2009
    again like hale i call, hope the other two players call and check it down. I play DYM's alot, at a low level and even if i have a and thats AA i dont raise here as i know the other player may hit on the flop and beat my AA, but another caller may also hit on the same flop. I see fully why you think this is cheating, i would be of the exact same view, even on a low pay table. I play mainly 30 and 60p DYMs trying to build up to that vital £10 mark lol and i have never seen this ever. I hope this doesnt happen again to yourself, and i can understand why you are frustrated at this.
    Posted by The_Don90
    30p and 60p DYM are the worse games to play on here as regards making a profit. For 30p games the rake is - 20%, for 60p games the rake is - you've guess it - 20%, so the ratio of wins to losses that you need for a profit is more than for higher value games. I know we dont all have the bankroll for the £3 and upwards DYM which take only a 10% rake, however i just thought id point this out to you Don90. 
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: cheating or just bad play? : 30p and 60p DYM are the worse games to play on here as regards making a profit. For 30p games the rake is - 20%, for 60p games the rake is - you've guess it - 20%, so the ratio of wins to losses that you need for a profit is more than for higher value games. I know we dont all have the bankroll for the £3 and upwards DYM which take only a 10% rake, however i just thought id point this out to you Don90. 
    Posted by loonytoons
    Agreed, they are the worse as in percentage of rake.

But by their nature and cost, usually, they are the easiest to cash in.
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: cheating or just bad play? : Agreed, they are the worse as in percentage of rake. But by their nature and cost, usually, they are the easiest to cash in.
    Posted by Hale72
    you wanna bet?? just try getting a bluff through,they call 3/4 of their stack with bottom pair lol. also the bad beats are mad as they fish for anything and everything lol.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I found em simple when I had to work through em.

Play tighter than a nun's tuppence and let the fools bet themselves through the door.

Works a heck of a lot of times.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: cheating or just bad play? : you wanna bet?? just try getting a bluff through,they call 3/4 of their stack with bottom pair lol. also the bad beats are mad as they fish for anything and everything lol.
    Posted by loonytoons
    Never bluff at that Level - EVER!
  • Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: cheating or just bad play? : Never bluff at that Level - EVER!
    Posted by Tikay10
    Best advice of the day.
  • Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited October 2009
    i play the way hale said there

agreed with tikay, i done it small amounts once or twice and got away with it but never more than 4xbb after level 2 of blinds lol
  • Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited October 2009
    I agree with Hale on playing very tight in the low buy-in DYM games.
    Let the agressive players knock each other out and play only premium or near premium hands agressively and cash most of the times. As for trying to bluff in these games, forget it.
  • Options
    chrisbhoychrisbhoy Member Posts: 302
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for everyones opinion. I have forwarded the table onto the big boys at the top just incase it was more than bad play! It was only a £1 DYM  which is strange since i usually play higher stakes as the low stakes are full of crazy people who will call you with anything and everything!
    It was the fist time I had ever came across anything like it online. Happened once in a live game but I soon sorted them out by busting them both out in 1 go lol but that sort of thing has absolutey no place in poker!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for everyones opinion. I have forwarded the table onto the big boys at the top just incase it was more than bad play! It was only a £1 DYM  which is strange since i usually play higher stakes as the low stakes are full of crazy people who will call you with anything and everything! It was the fist time I had ever came across anything like it online. Happened once in a live game but I soon sorted them out by busting them both out in 1 go lol but that sort of thing has absolutey no place in poker!
    Posted by chrisbhoy
    Well I can't comment on that particular case, but I agree - soft-play, collusion, & Multi-Accounting are all forms of cheating, & we should all look out for, & report alleged instances to Customer Support if we become suspicious. Those found to be in breach of the Rules may face forfeiture of their ill-gotten gains. And quite right too.