You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

would you have done the same

The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
tubby1974 Small blind  150.00 150.00 4150.00
cornerback Big blind  300.00 450.00 980.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • K

DOLLY71 Fold     
The_Don90 Call  300.00 750.00 2130.00
tubby1974 Fold     
cornerback Check     
Flop

• K

cornerback Check     
The_Don90 Bet  300.00 1050.00 1830.00
cornerback Call  300.00 1350.00 680.00
Turn

cornerback Check     
The_Don90 Bet  300.00 1650.00 1530.00
cornerback Call  300.00 1950.00 380.00
River

• J

cornerback Check     
The_Don90 Bet  975.00 2925.00 555.00
cornerback All-in  380.00 3305.00 0.00
The_Don90 Show
  • J
  • K

cornerback Show

cornerback Win Three 7s 2710.00  2710.00
The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, Kings and Jacks 595.00  1150.00
Very well played by my opponent, could i really have folded?

Comments

• Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited October 2009
    tough fold, just a cold deck i'm afraid.

Obviously he was gonna check his trips. But then again, someone who had missed would also probably check.

The river was your nail in the coffin. Although his river check showed extreme weakness or strength. I would normally try and extract more value. But hey, you gave him all the value he needed.

If in any doubt, always check on the river if your opponent has checked. If he had nothing he would only fold and you would not get any more chips anyway.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited October 2009
    Raise PF.

Result in this hand is gonna be the same but limping is so so bad especially with blinds that big.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    the only reason i limped here was because it was a 30p double your money, basically people call with anything, although this hand ultimatley sent me small stack on the bubble and i couldnt recover.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited October 2009
    let them call with anything.

just because other people play bad doesn't mean that you should either.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,594
    edited October 2009

Bit of a cold-deck - you can never "see" Sets.

I would, however, do 3 things differently, though the outcome may have been the same.

1) I would never, in a month of Sundays, Limp in, at that stage of a DYM. (Except to trap with, say, A-A). With 7 x BB, in a DYM or a Tourney, Limping is a 100% no-no. NEVER EVER DO THAT.

2) I don't Value-Bet the River. I'm sussy of his check, so i'm happy to check on the end. If I lose a bit of value, so be it, but my Tourney life counts more than value.

3) I don't like the Bet Size on the Flop one little bit. What does it achieve, except to make it easy for Drawing Hands to Call?

Hope you don't think I'm being overly-critical, but you did ask.

I would add that at that stage, with K-J on a K high flop (assuming we limped in, which I hate), I'm shoving. And going busto! You HAVE to commit at this stage, imo.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The other point I'd make is this......

Shoving (at that stage) with anything is fine. Mostly, they can't Call. And if they Call, well it is what it is, you usually have outs. 

In the late stages, all good players BET, often with air. Betting is our friend, as we can win the perfect way - without seeing a flop. Limping & Calling is always a bad thing here.

I heard someone complain about "bad-beat Raisers" the other day, which tickled me pink. Never be scared to Raise with poo, there's nothing wrong with that. It's the Callers problem if their Call ends in defeat.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: would you have done the same:
    The other point I'd make is this...... Shoving (at that stage) with anything is fine. Mostly, they can't Call. And if they Call, well it is what it is, you usually have outs.  In the late stages, all good players BET, often with air. Betting is our friend, as we can win the perfect way - without seeing a flop. Limping & Calling is always a bad thing here. I heard someone complain about "bad-beat Raisers" the other day, which tickled me pink. Never be scared to Raise with p oo, there's nothing wrong with that. It's the Callers problem if their Call ends in defeat.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi

Well I find it impossible to argue with that, I think that this is what you would call great minds thinking alike because that is what I was going to add * No terms and conditions apply :)
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited October 2009
    100% agree with Tikay... He's not just a pretty face ;-)

Another thing I would add (although this is not appropriate in this situation because of the blind/stack levels) If you do raise preflop, other players automaticly think "he has a good hand" why else would you raise? You may well get a caller from some1 who likes their hand, maybe suited connectors or an A etc etc... If you are in position (last 2 act) you will more often than not find they will check to you. Bet out again I generally bet around 3/4 of the pot. If the other player has missed they will fold and expect you to have a big hand... you could of done this with any hand..

1st of all you have raised to reduce the amount of players in the pot (therefore less chance of some1 hitting the flop)
     2nd you have whats called a C-bet (continuation bet) which shows you still like your hand and they can only play on if they have hit...

So basicly, when the blinds go up, only raise if you like your hand, dont call, you are giving your opponents to much chance to outdraw you... + it keeps your stack building
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I take all these points and accept them.

I maybe should have bet more on the flop but im a sucker for hitting that half pot button, forgettng when theres only two people in its usually minimum raise.

I understand all the points, im just wary in the lower DYM games of "daftys"/"muppets" who call with any two cards. Although i understand this and i will attempt to change this in the future.

Thanks all guys
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: would you have done the same:
    I take all these points and accept them. I maybe should have bet more on the flop but im a sucker for hitting that half pot button, forgettng when theres only two people in its usually minimum raise. I understand all the points, im just wary in the lower DYM games of "daftys"/"muppets" who call with any two cards. Although i understand this and i will attempt to change this in the future. Thanks all guys
    Posted by The_Don90
    Well yes - on the Flop you shoulda jammed. But the main error had already been made - better to concentrate on that.

The stand-out mistake, in my view, was Pre-Flop, & if you only take one thing from this, it should be.....

With 7 x BB in a DYM, SNG or MTT - you must NEVER EVER LIMP.

All-in or Fold. Calling is NEVER an option here.

Good luck bud.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    thanks tikay. ill remember that for next time.
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited October 2009
    The jam 'may' have got your opponent to fold.

Although I doubt it on a 30p game. But none the less, it will get lower pairs and rag aces to fold most of the time, so you ultimately get profit in the move.
  • Options
    chrisbhoychrisbhoy Member Posts: 302
    edited October 2009
    I think many players prefer to call with hands even with around 7 bb left. I have fallen victim to this before however I am slowly learning just to raise lol. More often than not you take down the blinds which at this stage of game is worth having.  Great thread though cause peolecan just read this sort of thing and learn from it
  • Options
    RichiSwiftRichiSwift Member Posts: 149
    edited October 2009
    Hi Don,

overall, i thought you played it well.

I like your play actually, considering everything....unlucky mate.....
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    thanks Richi. Its the style that i learned on a passive live table so i guess that doesnt help much. I just didnt see trips. If i lose to trips funnily enough its always trip 7's lol.

Also ChrisBhoy, i see your point, and i admit i struggle to hit that raise button pre-flop expessially in low stake games, i do it alot in higher stake stuff and tournaments. And yea thats why i made this thread was to simply learn from it, but like Tikay said the hand was hidden well.