You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Poker player's nicknames

MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
Just been watching the ladies event on the WPT shown on Sky Sports.
The following caption was shown:

Pam Brunson nickname: "Queen Kitty"
Doyle Brunson nickname: "Texas Dolly"
Todd Brunson nickname: "Todd"  !!!

We all know about DevilFish and the "Poker Brat" but what other good nicknames are there or what good nicknames can you create yourself?

One of my favourites is "the sl y pig" for one unassuming top professional - guess who?

Note: I had to type "sl y" because it appears to be a banned word!

Comments

• Options
    Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Poker player's nicknames:
    Note: I had to type "sl y" because it appears to be a banned word!
    Posted by MereNovice
    oops! not anymore
  • Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited October 2009
    Good thread, Mere. There are stacks of poker players who have nicknames out there, but these are the ones I can think of at the moment:

Mike Matusow - The Mouth
    Daniel Negreanu - Kid Poker
    Dan Harrington - Action Dan (basically he had the image of playing one hand a fortnight)
    Sammy George - Any Two (high-stakes London player who has the opposite image of Harrington!)
    Marcel Luske - The Flying Dutchman
    Mike Caro - The Mad Professor
    Neil Channing - Bad Beat
    Men Nguyen - The Master
    Joe Beevers - The Elegance
    Ram Vaswani - Crazy Horse
    James Akenhead - Sick Dog
    Erick Lindgren - E-Dog
    Johnny Chan - Orient Express
    Scotty Nguyen - The Prince of Poker
    Chris Ferguson - Jesus
    Howard Lederer - The Professor
    Greg Raymer - Fossilman
    Stu Ungar - The Kid
    Jack Strauss - Treetop
    Dave Colclough - El Blondie
    Marc Goodwin - Mr Cool
    Phil Laak - Unabomber
    Antonio Esfandiari - The Magician
    Annette Obrestad - Annette 15
    Layne Flack - Back to Back

My own poker nickname seems to be El Blandie, stemming from a passing resemblance (according to my poker friends) for Dave Colclough. Not too sure about that one myself, and I hope Dave doesn't read it as I wouldn't want to offend the poor chap! :)

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I just love "Crazy Horse" - probably my favourite.

Victoria Coren - Tea Cup

• Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker player's nicknames:
    [My own poker nickname seems to be El Blandie, stemming from a passing resemblance (according to my poker friends) for Dave Colclough. Not too sure about that one myself, and I hope Dave doesn't read it as I wouldn't want to offend the poor chap! :)
    Posted by Sky_Dave

I dunno, I managed to upset Devilfish here yesterday.

I REALLY hope he doesn't pop in from time to time. Witness protection for me now!
  • Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited October 2009
    How on earth did you do that, Hale? :)
  • Options
    razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited October 2009
    KEVIN RAZORKEV..... CHURCHILL, I GET THAT NAME BECAUSE LAST YEAR I TRAVELLED WITH MY SO CALLED M8S TO SHEFF WED SO BEING A QPR FAN WE ARRANGED TO MEET UP AT MY HOUSE, MY M8 HAS A SCENIC (I KNOW HORRID CAR) BY THE TIME THEY GOT TO MINE THE CAR WAS FULL SO I SAT IN THE BOOT PART SO LOOKED LIKE THE ANNOYING DOG IN THE ADVERT, THEN WE ARRIVE AT SERVICE ST AND B 4 YOU ENTERED THERE WAS A PROMOTION ON 4 DOG BISCUITS SO THE GUYS ALL RUSSLED UP CHUM BICCIES 4 ME,, LOL , SO THE NAME HAS STUCK TBH IF I PLAYED IN A TELEVISED TORN ID USE THE NAME, ANYWAY QPR WON 3  1 SO WAS WORTH IT SOZ ACEBARRY.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573
    edited October 2009

Don't forget Julian "Yoyo" Thew!

There is also a bunch of players with derogatory nicks, because they nip, grim, or have, in the past, Multi-Accounted. I so wish I could name a few of them......
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited October 2009
    How on earth did you do that, Hale? :)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Tikay was talking about a rough night he had in Nottingham and amongst the friendly bunch was Devilfish.

I wrongly assumed he was a saint!
  • Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited October 2009
    I wish i had a nickname that wasnt half my name lol. Maybe if i qualify for the Sky Poker Tour (Glasgow or Newcetle for travel reasons) Tikay could give me one lol.
  • Options
    RichiSwiftRichiSwift Member Posts: 149
    edited October 2009
    There used to be a guy on late night poker (can''t remember his real name) - he wore glasses, dressed well and quite dignified - nick name - The Gentleman.
  • Options
    RichiSwiftRichiSwift Member Posts: 149
    edited October 2009
    If you looked like Paul Newman or your name was luke, you could call yourself, 'cool hand luke'. That sounds good I think.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There used to be a guy on late night poker (can''t remember his real name) - he wore glasses, dressed well and quite dignified - nick name - The Gentleman.
    Posted by RichiSwift
    That was Liam Flood. He's still around to this day, too.

Liam claims to be the man who intyroduced Texas Hold 'Em into the UK. (Previously Stud Poker dominated). To be fair, many players make the same claim as Liam.

He continues to dress smartly, though his choice of ties is a little eccentric, some might say.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Here is Liam - note the quite awful tie. The hair is his own, surprisingly.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Another player nicknamed "The Gentleman" is Ben Roberts. From what I have seen of him he is an extremely classy guy and the nickname is very apt. He also appears to be a gentle man.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Another player nicknamed "The Gentleman" is Ben Roberts. From what I have seen of him he is an extremely classy guy and the nickname is very apt. He also appears to be a gentle man.
    Posted by MereNovice
    I have never heard Ben Roberts described as "The Gentleman", but no man more deserves such a title, & yes, as classy guys go, he's top of the shop.

He's Iranian by descent, has a place in London, & travels the world playing high stakes cash gamres. When not on his travels, he plays in the big Cash Game at The Vic. You could not wish to meet a nicer, more gentle, man. But he's an animal in Cash Games.

His son, Jamie, made his Live Poker debut 2 or 3 years ago, at The Sportsman, in a £500 Event, & I shared a Table with him. Afterwards, Dad wanted to know how his boy had handled himself, da de da.

Now, every time I see Ben, he rushes up to tell me how Jamie is getting on. Lovely. And Jamie is doing just grand, he is with BlackBelt these days.

I interviewed Ben in Vegas this year (and all 4 years prior to this year) so the Video should be on the Sky Poker Site somewhere. 

• Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited October 2009
    I just love "Crazy Horse" - probably my favourite.          Victoria Coren - Tea Cup
    Posted by MereNovice
    you only like crazy horse cos your a donkey lol
  • Options
    Chompy_imoChompy_imo Member Posts: 75
    edited October 2009
    Going back to early LNP days, The Gentleman = Mike Magee imo
  • Options
    BANDICOOTBANDICOOT Member Posts: 675
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone know why Allen Cunningham is nicked named Clever Piggy ?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone know why Allen Cunningham is nicked named Clever Piggy ?
    Posted by BANDICOOT
    lol - and sometimes "the sly pig".
    It's a complete mystery. ;-)
  • Options
    BANDICOOTBANDICOOT Member Posts: 675
    edited October 2009
    lol it certainly is! ;-)