You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

how to speed it up

OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
edited October 2009 in Community Help & Advice
I play poker on a dell dimension 5150 desktop.  I can really play 5 tables max as any more either freezes everything (on firefox), or is just too slow to keep up with the game, which leads to timing out etc.  I have tried numerous browsers btw.

I was at my parents house earlier, and they have quite a new pc (dell inspiron 530).  I tried poker on it and could comfortably play 7 tables on firefox.  It only started freezing up when I tried adding an 8th.

I heard it was to do with RAM.  I`m not too sure what RAM is on mine or my parents but would guess theirs is more as it is a lot newer.  Mine is about 4-5yrs old.

My question is, if I got a RAM upgrade, would I get a similar performance, and if not what do I need to upgrade to get a better performance

Comments

• Options
    ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    edited October 2009

I have played 18 without pc breaking sweat.

The key is to upgrade your flux capacitor.

• Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: how to speed it up:
    I have played 18 without pc breaking sweat. The key is to upgrade your flux capacitor.
    Posted by ajs4385
    I tried that, but npower said they wont let me have the 1.21 jigawatts to power it
  • Options
    ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    edited October 2009

I will be serious now,

I built my own, if your serious about poker and want to mass multi table you need a custom build. I have a degree in computers and if your interested in me building you one let me you know your email address. If you wanna 4 table or so a £400 computer from pc world will be fine but if you wanna do anymore you need a custom build. Wont be cheap probably be nearing a grand. But it will pay for itself in no time, if your any good.

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Thankyou ajs,

However, my pc at the moment can handle 16 tables on all other sites that are downloadable.  It is just sky that the problem is, and I like playing on Sky.
    I wouldnt really want to play more than 8 on sky, due to 6max only and short thinking time.
    With the new tiling feature, I can now run 6 tables with few problems.  I think when sky get the downloadable client up and running, I could add more to that.

If it were a case of spending 40 odd quid on a ram upgrade to add another couple of tables over the next few months before we get the downloadable client, it would be worth it, but spending 1k on a pc for 2 extra tables at nl20/nl50 for a few months is -ev for me.

Having said all that, I`m on such a horrendous run at the mo, I should probably be looking to decrease the number of tables rather than increase,

cheers anyway
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited October 2009
    18 tables?? how do you get to look at all your hands? and what if you are playing 5 big pots? i just dont see how you could work that, but i can only manage 4 so fair play
  • Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited October 2009
    OMahonyO,

Just a thought, but have you tried experimenting with other browsers? Personally I really like Google Chrome - seems quick and might help a little.

Dave
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited October 2009
    This might sound like a stupid question, but does the browser really make a difference to the speed of the site?
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: how to speed it up:
    This might sound like a stupid question, but does the browser really make a difference to the speed of the site?
    Posted by silentbob
    It's not a stupid question.

The issue for SkyPoker is that each game starts up in an separate browser window.
    Each window uses a certain amount of resources (primarily memory and CPU).
    Different web browsers may be more efficient in their resource usage so it can certainly affect the number of tables that a person is capable of playing on their computer.

I have used Firefox, IE and Chrome at different times and none of them work exceptionally well. I don't have a custom made machine but I don't have much interest in serious multi-tabling.

It's interesting that Dave says that Chrome works well because when I read their launch statements, it admitted that Chrome was likely to be more resource intensive (but more robust) due to the isolation of each window as a separate entity.
  • Options
    diablo_pezdiablo_pez Member Posts: 1,392
    edited October 2009
    While we're at it why do I keep getting...."an error in the script is causing flash player to run slow...."
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited October 2009
    i get the same message with 5 tables but not with 4?
  • Options
    diablo_pezdiablo_pez Member Posts: 1,392
    edited October 2009
    I get it with ONE nightmare