You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Capacitors

AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
edited September 2011 in Community Help & Advice
Does anybody on here know much about these little but so crucial things ?

One on my graphics card went pop this afternoon.

Now it seems to be still running ok but surely it can't be ok to keep using the thing in the mean time until I either buy a new capacitor or card.

I've got a spare card but it's AGP so that would mean swapping this motherboard for my old one and I really can't be bothered to do that tbh.

I've had a look around on the net but i'm seeing mixed results.

Comments

• MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited September 2011
    In Response to Capacitors:
    Does anybody on here know much about these little but so crucial things ? One on my graphics card went pop this afternoon. Now it seems to be still running ok but surely it can't be ok to keep using the thing in the mean time until I either buy a new capacitor or card. I've got a spare card but it's AGP so that would mean swapping this motherboard for my old one and I really can't be bothered to do that tbh. I've had a look around on the net but i'm seeing mixed results.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Weird that it would still be working after it's blown.  Perhaps it was just used for smoothing the current to a particular circuit and in its blow state it's just letting the current through as is.
  • AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited September 2011
    Yeah I was thinking something like that too.

Found some more useful info that says it's a minor risk to keep using things with blown capacitors so i'll just keep using it until the new capacitors arrive.

Decided to get them as it's much cheaper than buying a new card.

Going to do some much needed backups though just in case.

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited September 2011
    Is it a flux?

edited September 2011
    Look at us talking about capacitors, those people in General Poker Chat don't know what they're missing.
    edited September 2011
    These should be here on Monday....... Rubycon 1500uf 6.3v Capacitors.

PHWOOOOOOAAAAAAAARR!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Capacitors:
    Is it a flux?
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    That could be useful for playing poker.
    edited September 2011
    These should be here on Monday....... Rubycon 1500uf 6.3v Capacitors. PHWOOOOOOAAAAAAAARR!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    Posted by AcidMan27
    A blue and gold one?  Oooh, sexy. lol
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, it's gonna be like p*mp my graphic card.

edited September 2011
    Top tip if any of you ever have to replace a capacitor.

Don't pull the old one too hard when taking it out.

One side came away dead easy, the other was a little more stubborn, so I pulled a bit harder and the capacitor came away from the leg.

No problem I thought, i'll just pull the leg with some pliers when i'm heating the old solder.

Nope, the stupid thing snapped and I was left with a tiny bit stuck in the hole.

It's taken me two and a half hours to get it out.

It didn't beat me and I showed it who's boss.

It's all done and back working.

Remind me to just buy a new card next time.
    edited September 2011
    Top tip if any of you ever have to replace a capacitor. Don't pull the old one too hard when taking it out. One side came away dead easy, the other was a little more stubborn, so I pulled a bit harder and the capacitor came away from the leg. No problem I thought, i'll just pull the leg with some pliers when i'm heating the old solder. Nope, the stupid thing snapped and I was left with a tiny bit stuck in the hole. It's taken me two and a half hours to get it out. It didn't beat me and I showed it who's boss. It's all done and back working. Remind me to just buy a new card next time.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Just buy a new card next time.