You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Laptop Advice

Macie007Macie007 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2011 in Community Help & Advice
Hi Guys

I'm looking to purchase a laptop, mainly to play poker(obviously!) and do a bit of surfing on the interweb. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what to look out for. I'm totally out of touch with the modern laptop and no idea which processer is the best for my needs.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited September 2011
    What's your budget ?

Also if you really don't need it to be a laptop you can get much more for your money with a desktop pc.

Good brands of laptops are Toshiba and Lenovo. Acer are probably the best for the lower budget.

• aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited September 2011

really laptops are all pretty much the same... priorities are

processor, bigger the better
    screen size, your preference
    memory, big enough,
    operating system, windows 7,
    software, whatever you want to use it for

there is no mystery.  often the same things are in different laptop brands.

don't buy second hand
    don't use norton antivirus use AVG for free instead
    maintain software updates

finally,

like your car, mobile and partner get one that you like the look of.
    prefer laptop not desktop for many reasons, including going to the kitchen, or bathroom.

• sikassikas Member Posts: 857
    edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Laptop Advice:
    really laptops are all pretty much the same... priorities are processor, bigger the better screen size, your preference memory, big enough, operating system, windows 7, software, whatever you want to use it for there is no mystery.  often the same things are in different laptop brands. don't buy second hand don't use norton antivirus use AVG for free instead maintain software updates finally, like your car, mobile and partner get one that you like the look of. prefer laptop not desktop for many reasons, including going to the kitchen, or bathroom.  
    Posted by aussie09

defo perhaps not preferable, but if u know what to look for there are some serious bargains to be had on ebay, ive bought both my laptops off ebay for absolute snips....

Toshiba Satellite Pro

Dual Core P8400
    4gb Ram - (upgraded to 8GB now)
    17" HD Screen
    256 graphics card
    160gb Hard drive

bought about 2 years ago for ~£300

also fwiw...

anti virus programs are overated and unnecessary (yet again if you know what to look for-dodgy sites/emails etc...) , plus 'some' use a ton of resources....every few months i download a free trial of Avira and do a scan.....only had 2 viruses in about 6-7 years of computing