You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Weekend footy betting (22nd/23rd)

silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
edited October 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat

No luck in midweek so hopefully I can get back to winning ways this weekend, starting tomorrow.

Three bets to begin with for me.

Main Acca:

Newcastle to score 2+ Goals @ 4/6

Leicester to beat Millwall (H) @ 4/6

Peterborough/Leeds – Over 2.5 Goals @ 1/2

AFC Wimbledon/Crawley – Both to score @ 4/7

These 4 pay a decent enough 11/2

Shola Ameobi’s late leveller against Spurs last week not only gave Newcastle a share of the spoils but also kept up their unbeaten start to the season. They’ve won 2 & drawn 2 of the 4 played at St James’ so far. Their two victories were comfortable wins against Fulham & Blackburn & with Wigan struggling for form anywhere let alone on the road, they should see them off quite comfortably here. Wigan come into this game on the back of 5 straight defeats in the league & only 1 point & 1 goal on their travels so far. Since Wigan were promoted to the top flight back in 2005 they’ve played at St James on 5 occasions. They’ve yet to win there & have conceded at least two goals in 4 of those meetings. The reason I backed Newcastle in this market rather than an outright win is because it was a better price.

Leicester have been a bit hit & miss so far this term but they come into this game on the back of 4 straight wins at the Walkers & should make that 5 when Millwall make the trip North. Despite sitting in 9th spot they could find themselves in 2nd come 5pm if results elsewhere go their way. Millwall are winless in 8 in the league although they did manage a point at Middlesbrough on their last road trip, but that was largely down to Boro’s wastefulness in front of goal.

Between them Peterborough & Leeds have conceded 35 goals in the league so far this term. Luckily for them they are both capable of scoring too with 45 goals in their favour. In every game away from Elland Road there have been at least 3 goals scored in the games involving Leeds whilst Peterborough were involved in a pulsating game at home to Cardiff in midweek which finally finished 4-3 in their favour. TBH, the way these go at it this pick could well be in the bag by half time.

AFC Wimbledon & Crawley have met 5 times in the last two years & there’s not been a clean sheet in sight. The last meeting came in July this year when they met at Broadfield in a League cup preliminary round game which Crawley won 3-2. Wimbledon have played 8 games at Kingsmeadow this term & they’ve conceded in every one. They’ve only failed to score once when Northampton won 3-0 in September. With an average of nearly 3.5 goals per game when these two meet this looks like one of the best bets this weekend.

Half Time Long Shot Acca:

Leicester to beat Millwall (H) @ 5/4

Middlesbrough/Derby – DRAW @ 6/5

Charlton to beat Carlisle (H) @ 11/8

Southend to beat Torquay (H) @ 11/8

Hereford/Barnet – DRAW @ 6/5

Mansfield to beat Alfreton (H) @ 10/11

These 6 potentially pay a whopping 116/1 so only small stakes for some extra fun. I’ve never really looked at the half time market before but there are some big prices about so it’s well worth a punt.

In the 12 games played so far Millwall have only been leading at half time twice & both of those came at the New Den.  Leicester have been leading in 3 of their last 4 at half time at the Walkers & they’ll be looking to continue where they left off in midweek.

Despite being unbeaten at home Middlesbrough have drawn 5 of the 6 played at the Riverside this term including last weekend’s coupon buster against Millwall. They’ve been drawing at half time in nearly half of their games this term whilst Derby have a similar record. This is likely to be a pretty tense affair & a draw after 90 minutes looks the most likely outcome to me so it makes sense to back that result at half time too.

Along with Colchester & Notts County, Charlton have been winning at half time more than any other team in League 1 this term going into the break in front 8 times from the 13 played. Carlisle make the long trip South tomorrow & they’re slow starters in games. Only Bournemouth & Exeter have scored fewer goals in the first half of games & with 10 conceded in the opening 45 this looks like a decent price.

Southend are going well in League 2 at the moment & they’ll fancy their chances of taking the points off Torquay at Roots Hall tomorrow. Only Accrington Stanley have been losing at half time more than Torquay so far this term (a feat they’ve increased tonight as they’re losing 1-0 to Cheltenham as I type) so the 11/8 on offer here is well worth the gamble.

It’s a bottom of the table clash at Edgar Street as Hereford meet Barnet in a 6 pointer game, even at this stage of the season. The last 6 meetings at Edgar Street have been level at the break & with neither side in great form & in need of points this will be another close affair.

Alfreton are currently 2nd bottom in the conference & part of the reason for that is their poor form on the road. They’ve only 1 win from 8 on the road & have been losing in 9 of their 17 played at half time. They’ve also conceded a whopping 27 goals in the opening 45 minutes this term & whilst Mansfield’s form may have dipped a bit of late they should get back on track here.

Both to Score Acca:

Peterborough/Leeds @ 2/5

Blackpool/Forest @ 4/6

MK Dons/Scunthorpe @ 4/7

Huddersfield/Preston @ 8/15

Port Vale/Morecambe @ 4/7

Plymouth/Swindon @ 4/6

AFC Wimbledon/Crawley @ 4/7

These 7 potentially pay a juicy 22/1.

Whilst the price at London Road may not be the most attractive it will be as good as printing your own money the vast majority of the time. I’ve already touched upon their respective goal scoring exploits & I’ll be very surprised if either side fails to find the net at least once.

Blackpool actually have a very good defensive record at Bloomfield Road so far this term with only 4 conceded in 6 games but it looks as though Steve Cotterill has had an immediate impact at Forest & I wouldn’t be surprised to see them get a result here.

MK Dons are still unbeaten at home this term but they’re drawing too many & have only 1 clean sheet on their last 5 there. Despite struggling at the wrong end of the table Scunthorpe are more than capable of scoring goals as they’ve only been kept out in 3 of the 17 they’ve played this term. The biggest reason they’re down the bottom is their defensive frailties so this makes them a prime pick here.

Huddersfield are another side with a good defensive record at home but this weekend they host a Preston side who know how to score themselves. This is one of those games that could easily finish 1-0 to either side but given the fact that Preston have only failed to score once all season I thought it was well worthy of inclusion.

Port Vale have conceded as many goals at home as rock bottom Plymouth but on the plus side they can score them too. They have kept clean sheets in their last two at Vale Park but Morecambe will be looking to get their season back on track & they certainly know where the goal is as 24 goals in 13 league games will testify.

Plymouth may be rock bottom of the football league right now but with their future set to be sorted they’ve started picking up goals & results. Swindon make the trip to the South West tomorrow & PDC will send them out to play in the only way he knows, attacking. Last weekend saw them keep their first clean sheet on the road in 4 games & with Plymouth going through a bit of a revival I’m not convinced they’ll leave Home Park with another clean sheet.

Wimbledon & Crawley both to score is also in my main acca. I don’t often put the same bet in different accas but for the reasons stated earlier this was a no brainer.

Good luck if you’re having a go tomorrow

Jay

Comments

• Options
    cleaverjimcleaverjim Member Posts: 1,070
    edited October 2011
    1. Dagenham & Redbridge v Aldershot Town Over 2.5 Goals @ evens
    2. Sheffield Wednesday v Colchester Under 2.5 Goals @ 6/5
    3. Peterborough v Leeds Over 2.5 Goals @ 1/2
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    1. Liverpool v Norwich Liverpool @ 2/7
    2. Newcastle v Wigan Newcastle @ 4/7
    3. Bolton v Sunderland Bolton @ 6/5
    4. Wolves v Swansea Swansea @ 3/1
  • Options
    FLASHJONNYFLASHJONNY Member Posts: 2,537
    edited October 2011
    jim taking your advice fiver swansea
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    here is my useless acca 4 thisweekend newcastle svens mob charlton stevenage an sarfend again
  • Options
    ALFIE123ALFIE123 Member Posts: 287
    edited October 2011
    Put a Fiver on

CARDIFF     v      Barnsley
    LEICESTER   v     Millwall
    HUDDERSFIELD v Preston
    STEVENAGE   v     Yeovil
    SOUTHEND    v     Torquay.

Pays a reasonable 14/1
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (22nd/23rd):
    Dagenham & Redbridge v Aldershot Town Over 2.5 Goals @ evens Sheffield Wednesday v Colchester Under 2.5 Goals @ 6/5 Peterborough v Leeds Over 2.5 Goals @ 1/2
    Posted by cleaverjim
    Nice winner!!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    jim taking your advice fiver swansea
    Posted by FLASHJONNY
    We were very unl;ucky..
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited October 2011
    Nice work Jim. Total disaster for me today :(

Nevermind, on to tomorrow & hopefully like last weekend I'll have better luck on Sunday.

Man Utd/Man City - Both to score @ 8/13
    Arsenal to beat Stoke (H) @ 1/2
    Spurs to beat Blackburn (A) @ 5/6
    Chelsea (-1) to beat QPR (A) @ 10/11

These 4 pay 7/1

Six of the last seven Manchester derbies at Old Trafford & have seen both sides score at least once & I fully expect that to continue tomorrow. Both sides have been scoring for fun in the league this term with 52 between them in the 8 games they've each played so this should be as good as printing money (cue the 0-0 draw now!)
    Arsenal may not be having the best of seasons so far but they are improving & have a perfect record at home to Stoke since their promotion to the top flight in 2008. Their midweek win in France will have given them a confidence boost ahead of this game & whilst I don't expect them to steamroller Stoke they should be able to squeeze out the points. It's also worth noting that Stoke have only won one game after they've played in Europe this season with the last two ending in defeats at Sunderland & Swansea.
    Spurs have won 5 of the last 6 meetings with Blackburn including the last 4 straight. Until Rovers get rid of Steve Kean they're gonna find themselves in real trouble. They've lost 3 of the 4 played at Ewood this term & with Spurs being in good form at the moment they should get the job done.
    This is a big price on Chelsea to win by two or more at neighbours QPR tomorrow. Despite a slow start to the campaign in front of goal the Blues have rediscovered their goal scoring touch & have now scored 18 in their last 5 games in all competitions. When you bear in mind Rangers have already conceded 6 at Fulham & 4 at home to Bolton this season this should be backed all day imo. They've yet to win at Loftus Road this term & that's not gonna change tomorrow.

Good luck peeps
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    1. Arsenal v Stoke Arsenal @ 8/15
    2. Manchester Utd v Manchester City Manchester Utd @ 11/10

Had a nice win double on this.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    1. Next Premier League Manager to Go - In Play Market 1 David Moyes @ 20/1

I think he may walk very soon!!

• Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,265
    edited October 2011
    Inplay bet at half time
    Man Utd @ 9/2
    £50.00  Single
    23/10/2011 13:19:2150.00
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited October 2011
    Had a tenner on...

Arsenal
    everton
    Spurs
    Chelsea
    City win/draw

20/1
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,265
    edited October 2011
    whoops
  • Options
    kaymackaymac Member Posts: 1,437
    edited October 2011
    Had a tenner on... Arsenal everton Spurs Chelsea City win/draw 20/1
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Will it be Chelsea or Spurs that let you down????????????????????????????

GL mate 
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    nurse 6-1 arggggggggggggggggggh bromide
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited October 2011
    lol you can't make this up!!!

Do all the hard work, then the 4/7 lets me down.

Can't even lay it off really now the odds r so short.

I'm gunna bed! :'(