You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Weekend footy betting (12th/13th)

silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
edited November 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat

IMO this is one of the worst weekends of the season for footy betting. Nothing but international friendlies & FA cup games with potential banana skins all over the place. This weekend is all about trying to find those little gems.

Just the two bets for me for tomorrow. These picks have been done mainly on gut feeling rather than the form book.

Main Acca:

Spain to beat England (A) @ 4/5

Leyton Orient to beat Bromley (H) @ 2/7

MK Dons to beat Nantwich Town (H) @ 1/5

Notts Co to beat Accrington (H) @ 1/2

Gateshead to beat Blyth Spartans (A) @ 8/11

Despite a couple of really short prices these 5 potentially return a very decent 6/1

I don’t usually bet on friendlies but quite frankly this should be almost as good as printing your own money. You could argue that the Spanish second string is probably better than our first choice 11 right now & with Terry, Gerrard & Rooney missing tomorrow the 4/5 is looking more attractive by the second. I don’t think they’ll steamroller us but I can’t see us causing them much concern either.

Blue Square South Bromley make the short trip to East London tomorrow to take on a Leyton Orient side who are unbeaten in 8 & playing well. I would normally try & avoid prices this short but I really can’t see an upset here. Had the game been played at Bromley then I might have avoided it but at the Matchroom I fully expect the O’s to be in the hat for the next round.

MK Dons play host to Evo-Stik premier league side Nantwich Town tomorrow in a game that I fully expect to be one sided. At 1/5 this is a price that I would usually leave well alone but quite frankly there’s very little about this weekend so I figured it’s a little price booster if nothing else. MK Dons are unbeaten at home this season & that record is in next to no danger here.

Notts County are going well so far this term & currently occupy the last play off spot. They’ve been strong at home so far with only 1 defeat in 8 played & that came at the hands of league leaders Charlton. Accrington are the visitors for this 1st round clash & they come into this game without a win on the road all season. As I said before, league form counts for very little this weekend but I feel good about this one.

It’s a derby game in Northumberland as Gateshead travel to Blyth who currently prop up the Blue Square North. Gateshead are going well in the conference & are only one spot outside the play off places. They’re a decent bet on the road too with 6 wins from 9 this term. Blyth will be looking for an upset here & will be looking to make home advantage count but are very likely to come up short.

Long Shot Acca:

Fleetwood to beat Wycombe (H) @ 7/5

Luton to beat Northampton (H) @ 6/5

Southport to beat Barnet (H) @ 11/8

Shrewsbury to beat Newport (A) @ 10/11

Colchester to beat Crewe (A) @ 13/10

These 5 potentially return a big 54/1 & with it being cup weekend its well worth a quid or two.

Wycombe make the long trip to Lancashire to a Fleetwood side who are currently 2nd in the conference only on goal difference. They’ve been going well at home too with only 1 defeat in 9 so far. Wycombe have only 1 win in their last 9 in all competitions & this looks like it could be a good shout for an upset this weekend.

By their own admission Luton are underachieving so far & currently sit in 7th spot & 7 points off leaders Wrexham. The cup gives them a chance to leave their league worries behind & earn a bit of extra cash for the coffers & with struggling Northampton making the fairly short trip down the M1 they’ve got a decent shot at being in the hat for the next round. Northampton have lost 4 of their last 5 on the road which makes the 6/5 on offer for an upset very appealing.

Last season Southport were actually relegated from the conference but won a reprieve when Rushden & Diamonds collapsed. They’ve taken that 2nd chance with both hands & are currently 5th in the conference & unbeaten in 9 in all competitions. Struggling Barnet make the long journey to Merseyside this weekend & with only 1 win away from Underhill in the league all season they could well be the victims of an upset.

Shrewsbury are going well in League 2 & currently sit in 4th spot but they’re always vulnerable on the road which is why they’re in my long shot rather than my main acca. The 10/11 on offer is a decent price against a Newport side who are struggling at the wrong end of the conference.

Had Colchester been hosting Crewe this weekend they would’ve been in my main acca for sure but they’re a little shaky on the road. Having said that Crewe are struggling themselves & Dario Grady has stepped down from the hot seat this week so this price has plenty of appeal.

Good luck if you’re having a go this weekend peeps

Jay

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I've decided to do another small one based on selections from the pundit in the paper.

Carlisle to beat Alfreton (A) @ 8/15
    Huddersfield to beat Swindon (A) @ 5/4
    Preston/Southend - Both to score @ 1/2
    AFC Wimbledon/Scunthorpe - Both to score @ 8/15
    Spain to score 2+ goals @ 10/11
    Tranmere to beat Cheltenham (H) @ 2/3
    Cowdenbeath to beat Stenhousemuir (H) @ 4/5

The 7 way pays a tasty 44/1
  • Options
    FLASHJONNYFLASHJONNY Member Posts: 2,537
    edited November 2011
    heres my 2bobs worth chesterfield dagenham oldham preston an sheff utd pays 15 to 1
  • Options
    ALFIE123ALFIE123 Member Posts: 287
    edited November 2011
    I have gone for 5 aways which pay cracking odds.

Swindon V HUDDERSFIELD
    Preston  V SOUTHEND
    Bury       V CRAWLEY
    Barrow    V ROTHERHAM
    Newport  V SHREWSBURY.

Done a 4 fold as well
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Talk about excitement. At one stage I thought my long shot was gonna sneak in but Southport couldn't quite do it.

Still, 4 down & one to go in my main acca. Spain really should win tonight so hopefully my first win in a few weeks :)
  • Options
    THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
    edited November 2011
    CRACKING DAY ON THE HORSES AT CHELTENHAM PROFITING £195, DECIDED TO PUT THE LOT ON SPAIN TO BEAT ENGLAND AT 5/6, THATL TEACH ME FOR GOING AGAINST MY OWN COUNTRY!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    TBF bud, they coulda played that game 100 times & Spain would've won 99 of them. Shoulda known really, things went too smoothly in the afternoon games!