You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What happened tonight to the mafia.... OMG!!

margatemafmargatemaf Member Posts: 849
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Ok, so here it is my very first night as a guest on the show! i feel i got to write this as i don't feel i did myself justice, as well as letting a few people down who really did support me in tonight's tournament. So this is the explanation, i am not looking for tea & sympathy as i just don't do it myself. Things are what they are and happen for a reason.

So the primo tourney, well i was in for the first hour, took a smallish pot down to get up to 2.6k. From there on in i did not see any hole cards worth playing. It was not until 15 mins into the tourney after the break i get a premium hand. All hands till this were very marginal hands at the very best and listening to Tikay's advice to rich " THE CHAMP " orford, don't play them. So i didn't and waited to pick my spot, I get AK so i am thinking right just limp and hope someone comes over the top of me. The flop comes down  J 2 4, so the texture of the flop is fairly good and i get called 300 and i shove as i feel this is the correct thing to do. Unbeknown to me the player is sat with a 2 4 :( and of course calls just like i would and takes the pot and me out rather embarrased. Me personally i would never play a 2 4 i would throw them in a heartbeat. So the good guys at sky say you can go into the bounty hunter and good luck!!

So still a bit miffed by tourney knockout to a 2 4 lol i think ok no worries let's have it!! so i am thinking i am going to need to be a bit more aggressive than before. different structure etc etc adapt the game to suit. I am sitting with a j 8 suited and 2 k's come down on the flop and there is only me and the other player involved he checks very quickly, i take this as a tell and think right i am going to represent this, shove all in and the guy thinks then calls and he is sitting with K 10 so he has hit a set and the river card comes down and he hits quads lol.

Personally think i was on tilt a bit from the primo tourney to be fair and took the aggressive play to a whole new level that has not been invented yet!! ;) and paid the price and got got caught seriously with my " hand in the cookie jar " lesson learnt tonight is ... just ask for a biscuit and don't try to steal it!! 

So personally i would like to apologize to sky for throwing £40 down the toilet ;) but very grateful for the opportunity and the experience, it was amazing!! One i would like to repeat in the future! Sorry to the guys that gave me so much support, you were fantastic!! the primo was an experience, i won't be able to do for a while as my bankroll won't allow it. So 50p/£1 DYM it is from now on as i was out of my league tonight.

On the flipside though, i had a wicked time! and learnt online is mega different to live play. At least i know where my true level of poker is and need to get my head in the books more! but i got 5 year plan going and i am only in month 1! so still a long way to go!!

P.S. i hope you all heard me give you a big shout out on the show as well, as you are all truly amazing people and i have made many friends already and feel very much at ease in your company even at my level. So big up the forum members!!!

"Everyday's a good day" and "All is good in the hood" 

Comments

• Options
    darichdarich Member Posts: 969
    edited November 2009
    Good thread Margate and great to see you have a real plan as to where you want to go in this game. Your enthusiasm is great to see. Only one thing I'd oull you up on. If I remember you limped with ak and the big blind had a free look with 24, so he didn't actively decide to play them - he hit a lucky flop, but he got a free look. I like your limp with AA or KK, but I'm all in every time with AK in the spot you were in - for what it's worth, I think it's the right play in the long run. There are still plenty of inferior hands that will call you, and remember it's only ace-high.  
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You are dead right buddy! a mistake on my part which i take full responsibility - i really only had myself to blame. But that's life and i live to fight another day bigger and stronger! but more importantly wiser too!! but thanks for your advice much appreciated! :)
  • Options
    darichdarich Member Posts: 969
    edited November 2009
    You're very welcome - I'd take my advice with a pinch of salt by the way :-)
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited November 2009
       Nice to hear positivity from someone when things dont go their way. Always remember mistakes are very good for us provided we learn from them. Glad you enjoyed the experience and hope the next time you go into one of the big tournies you go deep. Good luck at the tables and keep the forum comments going because your enthusiasm is good for the whole community
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2009
    i agree with what darich has said margate with the AK hand but i do believe you have got the belief to be a huge success in this game, you play the game with a smile and are looking to improve your game at every opportunity, so you got found out tonight in the bigger money tournaments but you are only gonna learn from this and i guarantee it is gonna make you a better player, like you say you are only 1 month in to a 5 year plan, if you keep your enthusiasm for the game and are willing to learn from your mistakes then there is no reason why you cant get to the next level and so on. gl buddy
  • Options
    LadyFingrsLadyFingrs Member Posts: 613
    edited November 2009
    You cant really whitewash tournament poker with philosiphies like "don't play marginal hands"

Also, unless theres a really SPECIFIC aggro table dynamic, ie payers opening alot, but not 3b alot, it's probably not a good idea to go for the limp rr with AK.

• Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited November 2009
    An excellent post Margate.  Personally I think that you did extremely well in your very first Primo, I am certain that under the same circumstances I wouldn't have lasted half as long.

Keep up with plan and I truly believe that you will be one of the players going to Vegas with the Sky crew in a year or two.

Steve
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited November 2009
    thing  about   the  tv   tourneys   just  sit  tight  for  the  1st  hour   just  play  your  primuam  hands    let  lunaticcs  get  knock   out  after    hour  start  play  some  poker 
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited November 2009
    by  the  way  nice  thread  margatemaf
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited November 2009
    Hi margatemaf

Imo, you are being a little hard on yourself, if you look at the open over time, you will see that a lot of the home players dont even make the first break, (I am sure Sky are fully aware of the varience in the open and know you could just as easiy be knocked out first hand as go on to cash) I think, even if you had pushed with the AK, there is no guarantee you wouldnt have been called tbh some players will gamble.

Good luck
  • Options
    labrat64labrat64 Member Posts: 987
    edited November 2009
    hi mate, didn't see much of it last night. Unfortunately it clashed with NFL (and the dolphins were on). flicked over in time to see your AK exit, unfortunate ending i thought. Don't know of the table dynamic at the time but you just got unlucky by only calling, but you don't need to be told that by me. Well done for getting past the first hour tho, i lasted 40 mins when i won a seat the other week. Keep going with your plan, i'm sure you'll get there.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: What happened tonight to the mafia.... OMG!!:
    Hi margatemaf Imo, you are being a little hard on yourself, if you look at the open over time, you will see that a lot of the home players dont even make the first break, (I am sure Sky are fully aware of the varience in the open and know you could just as easiy be knocked out first hand as go on to cash) I think, even if you had pushed with the AK, there is no guarantee you wouldnt have been called tbh some players will gamble. Good luck
    Posted by acebarry10

True acebarry! but if your not hard on yourself you will not progress as quick. It's just something i do naturally as i always want to be the best at what i do, i never do anything half hearted!! I need to learn when to be aggressive something i am going to ask in the strategy section.

Thanks for all your comments, just proves i was right all along with my view of the people on this forum your all diamonds!!! 
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: What happened tonight to the mafia.... OMG!!:
    In Response to Re: What happened tonight to the mafia.... OMG!! : True acebarry! but if your not hard on yourself you will not progress as quick. It's just something i do naturally as i always want to be the best at what i do, i never do anything half hearted!! I need to learn when to be aggressive something i am going to ask in the strategy section. Thanks for all your comments, just proves i was right all along with my view of the people on this forum your all diamonds!!! 
    Posted by margatemaf
    Hi m8

Ok what about this senario?, you become a better player, call when you should, raise in pos etc, etc and think, I wouldnt mind another go at being the home player (yes they do allow it), you got someone on your table being aggro, you waited for the hand and wake up in pos with AA, you go all in and aggro calls A4 off, varience intervenes and flop goes 2 5 3 rainbow, turn blank, river blank?, the point im trying to make is, even if you were the best player in the world and varience hits there is nothing you can do about it :)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hi ace,

your dead right with everything you say and i agree whole heartedly. Last night just showed my level at the moment as it was a schoolboy error not shoving and giving the other bloke a free look. The tactic i employed backfired seriously lol where as now i have the bit of experience, next time i will probably shove all in rather than trying to be clever and punch above my weight. Had i done that last night it would of been a different story, but i don't mind as it is a lesson learnt. I agree with varience, but i did not give that guy a hard enough question to answer and made it a dead easy one for him :(

That is why i have posted in strategy section as i needed to be tight, but i was too tight and didn't know when to be aggressive. Every time i try to be aggressive it 7/10 backfires on me :( which is why i have posted for advice. As for being on the show again, they let you do that? i thought that was a one off, which is why i was really disappointed last night. But if they do, i think it will be a while yet lol as they won't want to throw another £40 down the toilet lol ;)