You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

how can we trust online poker after the whole POTRIPPER thing?

lance1979lance1979 Member Posts: 2
edited June 2009 in Poker Chat
Am not a big fan of online poker anymore after seeing the story from Absolute Poker. An ex member of staff hacked in to the site and could see all the cards at his table.

This fella only got caught because he got greedy, How can we be sure this is not going on on every site and the peoply cheating are just making a nice little income of £200-£300 a day not to get caught?

Comments

• Options
    Supa_PhilSupa_Phil Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2009
    In Response to how can we trust online poker after the whole POTRIPPER thing?:
    Am not a big fan of online poker anymore after seeing the story from Absolute Poker. An ex member of staff hacked in to the site and could see all the cards at his table. This fella only got caught because he got greedy, How can we be sure this is not going on on every site and the peoply cheating are just making a nice little income of £200-£300 a day not to get caught?
    Posted by lance1979
    Got a link to this story?
  • Options
    bullyfishbullyfish Member Posts: 215
    edited June 2009
    i think it is open to abuse but tikay has assured sky is very safe      i would hope if someone was winning ALL the time this would start alarm bells ringing somewhere
  • Options
    VIRUSXXXVIRUSXXX Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2009
    That news article is very old. One of the great things that came about because of that scam was the fact that

a) every site was forced to check and tighten all of their security
    b) it was forums like this that were instrumental in the perps downfall.
  • Options
    lance1979lance1979 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2009
    If I was potripper i would of lost more hands than i won, but just making sure you was losing small hands and just winning enough to keep you in profit. and a few times a month lose big. but over the year be up £30k or £40k. rather than winning $7000000 in less than a year. 

Am convinced people are doing this on a lot of sites, just making a nice little wage out of it. 
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,970
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: how can we trust online poker after the whole POTRIPPER thing?:
    [QUOTE]That news article is very old. One of the great things that came about because of that scam was the fact that a) every site was forced to check and tighten all of their security b) it was forums like this that were instrumental in the perps downfall.
    Posted by VIRUSXXX

It was about 3 years ago, I believe.
  • Options
    IAMALLIN2IAMALLIN2 Member Posts: 561
    edited June 2009
    I think Richard Orfords been using it
    He must have, loosing 15 sit and goes in a row! CMON
    The law of averages say he should have won one
    LOL
  • Options
    bonniedogbonniedog Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: how can we trust online poker after the whole POTRIPPER thing?:
    i think it is open to abuse but tikay has assured sky is very safe      i would hope if someone was winning ALL the time this would start alarm bells ringing somewhere
    Posted by bullyfish
    Just because someone wins all time does not mean they cheat.
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited June 2009

There was also an incident on a well-known site where the site itself got hosed for some serious money. I don't think this has been well-publicised either.

Usually when there are multiple people all-in, if two players get eliminated at the same time whoever had the most chips would be deemed to be placed higher. But what if the people eliminated had exactly the same amount of chips?

Playing £50 sng's, all 6 players went all-in on the first hand. Whoever won was given £225, and since the others all came joint second, they were all given the 2nd place prize money of £75! These same 6 guys just kept registering and registering, going all-in on the first hand, then emptied their accounts after a day. Every single game they put down £300 and took £600 from the table, the cards were completely irrelevant. They played hundreds of games.

For anyone considering trying it, they've changed the software now! The other 5 players now get the £75 2nd place money shared between them.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,970
    edited June 2009
    There was also an incident on a well-known site where the site itself got hosed for some serious money. I don't think this has been well-publicised either. Usually when there are multiple people all-in, if two players get eliminated at the same time whoever had the most chips would be deemed to be placed higher. But what if the people eliminated had exactly the same amount of chips? Playing £50 sng's, all 6 players went all-in on the first hand. Whoever won was given £225, and since the others all came joint second, they were all given the 2nd place prize money of £75! These same 6 guys just kept registering and registering, going all-in on the first hand, then emptied their accounts after a day. Every single game they put down £300 and took £600 from the table, the cards were completely irrelevant. They played hundreds of games. For anyone considering trying it, they've changed the software now! The other 5 players now get the £75 2nd place money shared between them.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Mostly true, but it was a one-off, after new Software had been introduced. It was 3 or 4 years back, I think.

The players involved eventually had to repay the money, which they did after much screaming & complaining. They colluded to grim the Site, but cried like babies when they had to pay the money back.