You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Amazed Nay Astounded!!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Amazed Nay Astounded!!!!:
    AAKK double suited is certainly very nice, but the good thing about Omaha is that the preflop hand considerations are not as simple as saying AA is better than KK and 77 is a little better than AK.  For that reason, hands like KQJT double suited are considered by many to be the ideal starting hand - to coin some old lingo, you want a hand that melds in some way. I am planning on writing a few basic articles on Omaha before it's arrival on Sky Poker for you all to have a look through :) Might take me a while mind, so bear with me and all that jazz. Cheers, Dave
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    So basically then you're looking for 4 cards that could hit the board in numerous ways rather than relying on just 2 of them to hit in some way?
  • Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited November 2009
    That's right, silentbob. The thinking is pretty similar to hold'em in some ways. We all like suited connectors in hold'em, right? Why? You're looking for hands that have something going for them and with a tiny bit of sneakines in there, so when we hit our flop we can stack that guy with the top pair, etc.

Hold'em: 87s, flop comes A-8-7, opponent has AJ.... time to do the happy dance.

Now let's talk Omaha.

AAKK is obviously very nice. You want double-suitedness so you can make two flushes You've also got AA, KK and AK should it come QJT. All good, right?

But what if the flop comes J-8-7? Now we've got AA on a textured board. T-9 has us drawing very slim all of a sudden. Preflop pairs play a lot worse post-flop in Omaha than they do in Hold'em because after the flop there is a much greater chance that you've been out-flopped.

With a hand like AAxx you're going to be raising before the flop and then bombing away. Big draws will be sticking around and you have to buckle up and hope your AA holds. Sometimes it does, very often it doesn't. Omaha is a game where you're often wanting a monster draw on the flop rather than a made hand. It will be a learning curve for us all but a LOT of fun at the same time.

• Options
    nirvana29nirvana29 Member Posts: 489
    edited November 2009
    im not a massive fan of ohama, it just seems like you never know where you are, like your hand can always be beat.
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited November 2009
    Correct me if i'm wrong (& i'm still a novice at PLO so may well be) but isn't the best starting hand AAKK double suited (i.e. 2 hearts & 2 diamonds)?
    Posted by silentbob
     Some might say that  bob ...i like  ..9 10 J Q  but then I don't play cash  PTL Omaha    ..
    (Swings are to great) If anyone wants to learn this game, read up on it before putting any cash on the tables.
    To play this game is definitely swimming in Shark infested murky waters....
    I do play  PL  Hi Lo Omaha though.. but again you need to read about the game  before parting with cash .....
    If you know anyone who will tell what "The Bible" of  Hi Lo Omaha is, get it ..  The Pro's know it and read it maybe once a week or month ( for revision).....   glk and don't get involved with these game unless you really want to, because the Sharks will teach you the hard way ....

• Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Amazed Nay Astounded!!!! : In actual fact with 4 aces you can't make a flush.
    Posted by elsadog
    Absolutly Correct Elsadog, or the str8 i've had a moment of madness lol
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Amazed Nay Astounded!!!! : So basically then you're looking for 4 cards that could hit the board in numerous ways rather than relying on just 2 of them to hit in some way?
    Posted by silentbob
    Yes. You want hands that are going to give you all sorts of options, not just two big pairs. This is my own preference on how to play the hands and not everyone's view, but I think these KQJT type hands play a lot easier and more profitably than the AAKK ones (for reasons see my post above).

Imagine you have Kh-Qd-Jh-Td vs a guy who has As-Ac-7c-3h. Preflop you're only a 45% underdog. On a flop of Th-9s-7h you're a 75% favourite despite the fact you're still technically behind with your pair of 7s vs the AA!

It's a fun ol' game this one... :)
  • Options
    CLIOKIDCLIOKID Member Posts: 783
    edited November 2009
    Omaha is a fantastic game and can be a gold mine on the small limits playing against people who don't understand it fully! :)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    im not a massive fan of ohama, it just seems like you never know where you are, like your hand can always be beat.
    Posted by nirvana29
    The one mantra to remember nirvana is to play as close to the nuts as possible. If you think it's out there and the betting is telling you that nut flush or full house is out there, it probably is...

Remember that and you'll find yourself in less spots where you're sat there with a medium strength hand wondering what on earth is going on... :)
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited November 2009
    Omaha is a fantastic game and can be a gold mine on the small limits playing against people who don't understand it fully! :)
    Posted by CLIOKID
    Yep, i wouldn't be getting involved in High buy-ins because the only people likley to sit at these tables know the game (better than me) and have the money to suffer the swings but at low stakes theres going to be a lot of people loving the game and hopefully even more wanting to learn it