You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sports Betting for beginners

NColleyNColley Member Posts: 1,178
edited February 2012 in Sports & Betting Chat
Hello betting regs,

Would like some tips on betting in general, how you conduct your research and come to the decisions on who/what/when to bet.

I'm not a complete beginner, I mean I've done the odd accumulator and single betting on football matches but its something I'd like to look into.

Comments

• Options
    FLASHJONNYFLASHJONNY Member Posts: 2,537
    edited February 2012
    well the obvious 1 is only bet what you can afford keep clear of fa cup games and all weather racing father v is the man to give you advice
  • Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2012
    Thanks Flashjonny for your endorsement and your tip  on betting what you can afford is the main one really. This lark should be a hope of winning more bets than losing them and having a bit of fun as well. There is no point betting if it is going to worry the guts out of you.

I don't really bet on anything other than the horses. I only bet on other sports when I see really stand out odds for what i think is a near certainty. The most important thing to pick up is value, if your choice of a winner in your opinion is 6-1 and the bookies are giving you better than that go for it. although knowing what is value takes a bit of time to learn.

On horses if I am picking a horse 3-1 or shorter in odds I have to be pretty sure it is going to win to back it. over that you can be a bit more adventurous and I would always say back each way 4-1 or over. If your horse is as good as you think it is at that price even if it doesnt win it should be placed and in a lot of circumstances at that price you wont make a loss. 

If you are going to do doubles and trebles always back horses WIN only singles as well unless the prices are very restrictive anyway. 
    My favourite bet is Three Win Singles unless one of the horses odds is over 10-1 and if so I would have that as an each way single, Three win or each way doubles and an Each way treble at a stake one and half times more than the double. I have made quite a bit of money from the each way treble with no winners and of course if you get one two or three winners the returns get very big indeed.  

Im sure you will get lots of info on this , some of which will argue against my case and that really sums up betting. Lots of opinions and lots of different results.

One thing i am guilty of and is a really bad habit is backing horses which you become attached to. There is no place for soppiness in making a profit, just because the horse is grey and you like grey horses it doesnt mean it is going to win.

What I would say in finishing is BACK YOUR JUDGEMENT, there is nothing worse than picking a horse or team or player out, reading something in the press and changing your mind only to see your pick romp in to win.

God bless and Good Luck 

Father Vaigret

PS: If you cant be bothered to read this or other opinions you wouldnt be far wrong backing PRICEWISE horses on the big race days. PRICEWISE is Tom Segal in the Racing Post

• Options
    wynne1938wynne1938 Member Posts: 20,527
    edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Sports Betting for beginners:
    Thanks Flashjonny for your endorsement and your tip  on betting what you can afford is the main one really. This lark should be a hope of winning more bets than losing them and having a bit of fun as well. There is no point betting if it is going to worry the guts out of you. I don't really bet on anything other than the horses. I only bet on other sports when I see really stand out odds for what i think is a near certainty. The most important thing to pick up is value, if your choice of a winner in your opinion is 6-1 and the bookies are giving you better than that go for it. although knowing what is value takes a bit of time to learn. On horses if I am picking a horse 3-1 or shorter in odds I have to be pretty sure it is going to win to back it. over that you can be a bit more adventurous and I would always say back each way 4-1 or over. If your horse is as good as you think it is at that price even if it doesnt win it should be placed and in a lot of circumstances at that price you wont make a loss.  If you are going to do doubles and trebles always back horses WIN only singles as well unless the prices are very restrictive anyway.  My favourite bet is Three Win Singles unless one of the horses odds is over 10-1 and if so I would have that as an each way single, Three win or each way doubles and an Each way treble at a stake one and half times more than the double. I have made quite a bit of money from the each way treble with no winners and of course if you get one two or three winners the returns get very big indeed.   Im sure you will get lots of info on this , some of which will argue against my case and that really sums up betting. Lots of opinions and lots of different results. One thing i am guilty of and is a really bad habit is backing horses which you become attached to. There is no place for soppiness in making a profit, just because the horse is grey and you like grey horses it doesnt mean it is going to win.   What I would say in finishing is BACK YOUR JUDGEMENT, there is nothing worse than picking a horse or team or player out, reading something in the press and changing your mind only to see your pick romp in to win. God bless and Good Luck  Father Vaigret PS: If you cant be bothered to read this or other opinions you wouldnt be far wrong backing PRICEWISE horses on the big race days. PRICEWISE is Tom Segal in the Racing Post  
    Posted by vaigret
    Very good blog!
    The bookies do not like the patent(singles .doubles and treble), as if you get one winner you generally get your money backor more!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    the other bets are lucky 15s and 31s they dont like those either if you get 1 winner you get a bit back
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    also round robins if you are a bit stuck i will help you out and im sure father v and wynne will give you advice as well
  • Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited February 2012
    My advice...

Never listen to any advice from DOHHHHHHH, especially if he's tipping Stephen Lee.

If you like golf, then join in with the "Get in the Hole" thread.

Golf is my fave sport to bet on, you get 4 days of fun while your bet runs and when/if you win, you can win big.

• Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited February 2012
    Shop around have at accounts with as many bookies as possible that way you can always be sure to get the best prices,offers and dont bet with bookies that dont offer best price guaranteed theres nothing worse than thinking you got a good price then it drifts wildly and your gutted even though you won
  • Options
    cleaverjimcleaverjim Member Posts: 1,070
    edited February 2012
    Hope you like this post! Try doing correct scores trebles 4 folds acca they pay big if you hit for very small stakes + 5 draws on a canadian pays well it is 26 bets tho but you can do 5p for a £1.30 total.

Also goals goals goals is a fun bet look for it in the coupon menu.gl
  • Options
    wynne1938wynne1938 Member Posts: 20,527
    edited February 2012
    I use oddcheckers .com for price comparisons!
  • Options
    cleaverjimcleaverjim Member Posts: 1,070
    edited February 2012
    Betting in play is very profitable on football.

Also corners under 12 comes up a lot in prem games norm at 7/4
  • Options
    SJspanky1SJspanky1 Member Posts: 620
    edited February 2012
    Have a selection of Bookmaking accounts and shop for best price.

Unfortunately SkyBet don't do best price guaranteed on Horse racing so should really always look elsewhere. My Riverside Theatre/Binocular dble on Saturday wudda paid out an extra 20 spondoolies at starting prices rather than odds taken on Skybet.
  • Options
    BELL_POKERBELL_POKER Member Posts: 1,295
    edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Sports Betting for beginners : Very good blog! The bookies do not like the patent(singles .doubles and treble), as if you get one winner you generally get your money backor more!
    Posted by wynne1938
    am i not mistaken that the bookies love these and other perm bets?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    the other bets are lucky 15s and 31s they dont like those either if you get 1 winner you get a bit back
    Posted by FLASHJONNY
    i do a lucky 15 meself, as well as backing singles i fancy. sorry to inform you, these are known as a bookies bet, or mugs bet. wouldnt put anyone off backing them as i do myself and its nice to dream of winning something life changing, but your getting mixed up saying the bookie chaps dont like laying these they love laying them
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    agreed with oddschecker, fantastic site. also for tips on there pay special attention to the sportinglife segment of the oddschecker (tips are from them and attheraces) the large paragraph is the sportinglife comments and ive had a few large priced, potentially unfancied winners from them. attheraces on oddshecker will give a pinstickers guide as such on each horse on every race, with a rating from 1 star to 5 so u may find it informative on that front purely from beginners purposes. if backing the gee gees then you may find it helpful on sportinglife.com to check each horse via search engine, giving full analysis of their form, videos of races etc, preferred going etc etc. Finally book march 13th - 16th off work and enjoy the greatest show on turf
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited February 2012
    My advice would be whatever you're betting on, know where to find value, and do your research. For example, with the NFL, I always have a look at Longest Field Goal length (Usually under/over 44.5 yards or something like that) when Denver are playing at home - Mile above sea level = thinner air = less air resistance, and therefore the ball can be kicked further, but the odds don't always reflect that.

Also, with injured players, you can find some pretty interesting prices. I bet on an injured player (Rob Gronkowski) to get less than 5.5 receptions in Superbowl 46 @ 10/11. He'd got 5 or less receptions half the time when fully fit, so this was an absolute bargain. Turned out he spent most of the game off the field, almost got a game winning touchdown but only received the ball twice all game, so nice payday for me :)

Obviously, avoid things that are pure gamble - Betting on teams to win coin toss at the start of the game @ 10/11, or 20/21, are just going to be setting fire to money.