You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What is the most important trait for a successful poker player?

Sky_AndySky_Andy Member Posts: 91
edited July 2009 in The Sky Poker Tour
Hi all,

I've started this poll which Richard and Ed will be discussing on Bounty Hunter, Monday 29th June @ 9pm. Get your answers in and please leave some comments too.

Andy

Comments

• Options
    dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited June 2009
    Wow thats tough - I was leaning towards discipline, then I thought patience but then I saw courage! How can I pick just one? :/
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited June 2009

You will never win long term by playing against the odds. Attributes like 'unpredictability' 'courage' 'discipline' and 'reading skills' are no good if you don't have a solid mathematical foundation.
    So I've gone for 'mathematical brain'. I also got my degree in mathematics so have a vested interest!

• Options
    giddzogiddzo Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2009
    I picked Bankroll management because a great player cant make money if hes skint. Its one of the most underrated components of a pro's game, it encompasses discipline, control and patience so i  could have picked other traits for the vote but imh br management covers more points than the other traits.
  • Options
    IAMALLIN2IAMALLIN2 Member Posts: 561
    edited June 2009
    I would have chosen 5 different skills but bankroll management is the most important
    you can`t play with scared money i heard somewhere.

My next skills in order would be.

mathmatical brain
    reading skills
    unpredictability
    patience
    aggression

Otherwise known as Daniel Negrano

• Options
    FBSFBS Member Posts: 131
    edited June 2009
    I've gone with PATIENCE purely because this is where I let myself down.

I'll be ticking along nicely then BOOM ... I lose patience and make what I just know is a bad move , but I do it anyway..

• Options
    maccolmaccol Member Posts: 55
    edited June 2009

Im with Ed on this one.
    There are many great players with other attributes who are no longer in the game soley due to bad bankroll management.
    This includes playing at too high a buy-in and gambling their poker bankroll on non-poker house games.

• Options
    kirstiikirstii Member Posts: 787
    edited June 2009
    I think you missed the most obvious one, the ability to play poker lol. But i think bankroll managment is the key to any world class player
  • Options
    Sky_AndySky_Andy Member Posts: 91
    edited June 2009

Hi Everyone,

Richard and Ed are going to be discussing this topic on tonight's Bounty Hunter @ 9pm. At the moment 'Bankroll Management' is a huge favourite. If you disagree, then get your votes in.

Andy

• Options
    dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: What is the most important trait for a successful poker player?:
    Hi Everyone, Richard and Ed are going to be discussing this topic on tonight's Bounty Hunter @ 9pm. At the moment 'Bankroll Management' is a huge favourite. If you disagree, then get your votes in. Andy
    Posted by Sky_Andy
    I agree bankroll management is important and it is probably the most overlooked trait BUT what use is being able to manage your bankroll if you never cash or win?

If you don't have patience, for example, you will end up busting out of most tournaments early on and get nothing - yes with bankroll management you will, in theory, never go broke but you will end up dropping down and down the levels to the point where you wont be able to afford to play (if you stay in keeping with the principles of bankroll management) so is it the most important? I don't think so but thats not to say I think patience is the most important - I just picked that as an example, Im still trying to decide on just one...
  • Options
    IpsofatsoIpsofatso Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2009
    I say Patience is most important as you can catipalise on your opponents lack of concertration thus they make mistakes. Their mistakes=your money
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,396
    edited June 2009
    I've gone against the trend and voted reading skills.

Like someone else mentioned - of course bankroll management is important, but it's no use without being able to play the game well and reading skills is definately a huge factor into how well you play. Being able to make good laydowns by reading what your opponent has - being able to value bet thinly, and how much to value bet etc. depending on the opponent and how much you think they will call.

Also regarding bankroll management it's not exactly a hard thing to learn and understand, whereas things like reading skills take practice and not everyone is that good at it.
  • Options
    CowgomooCowgomoo Member Posts: 749
    edited June 2009
    its obviously luck, how can you win  at card game without luck?
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited July 2009
    Discipline.  Is it just me or does anyone else realise that this incorporates brm and patience together?

You need discipline to manage your roll and to be patient etc etc