You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

High card share

lepoissonlepoisson Member Posts: 8
edited May 2012 in Community Help & Advice
I've been playing online for a while but I still can't get my head round the 'rules' of high card win hands.

It appears to be that on some occassions the kicker counts, sometimes not ( I think i know that if the board is paired it's an automatics share right?)

So quick scenario, I had A 7D, opposition had A5H, deck was A K J 8 something, so we split the pot. 

Guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,172
    edited April 2012
    You play the best five card hand from the seven available (your two plus the five community).
    So in your example you both have AAKJ8 - neither your 7 or oppo's 5 plays, hence the split.
    If either of you instead had a kicker such as a 9 then it would play, giving that player the win with AAKJ9.
    Hope that helps?

• Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited April 2012
    There are lots of good guides here which may be of help.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-school?tracking=pokernav
  • Options
    lepoissonlepoisson Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: High card share:
    You play the best five card hand from the seven available (your two plus the five community). So in your example you both have AAKJ8 - neither your 7 or oppo's 5 plays, hence the split. If either of you instead had a kicker such as a 9 then it would play, giving that player the win with AAKJ9. Hope that helps?
    Posted by NoseyBonk

Thanks, i understand the principle now, not sure it's going to help my bet/fold play