You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

WHAT PART OF POKER IS LUCK?

COCASIRFCOCASIRF Member Posts: 439
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
I Believe That Poker is a Game of Skill as Well as Luck but Which part is the luck?

Comments

• Options
    TorryladdTorryladd Member Posts: 503
    edited November 2009
    70% luck
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited November 2009
    The flop, turn and river... You dont need good cards to win, thats the beauty of the game (annete thingamy winning a whole MTT without looking at her cards) but all you can do is get it all in infront.. If you have AA vs KK standard always going to be all in its down to luck whether they hit their K or not....

Nice bad beat story for you here, last night was playing really well in the Primo, got it all in infront every time, i was sat comfortable above the average stack and had a read on the players... the loosest player on the table shoved for 10 blinds, I had AJ and called he turned A10, flop blank turn 10 ... then later on he lost an all in and shoved very next hand, im on BB with QJ, i make the call thinking he is tilting sure enough he had Q10, flop blank turn 10 again!!! ... Left me with 5 blinds and I soon went all in with junk, BB sat with AQ I didnt hit.

You need luck to do well in poker especially MTTs. At the end of the day though like anything, luck evens itself out and as long as your profitable over the long run your not doing too much wrong
  • Options
    debdobs_67debdobs_67 Member Posts: 3,615
    edited November 2009
    80% luck
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: WHAT PART OF POKER IS LUCK?:
    The flop, turn and river... You dont need good cards to win, thats the beauty of the game (annete thingamy winning a whole MTT without looking at her cards) but all you can do is get it all in infront.. If you have AA vs KK standard always going to be all in its down to luck whether they hit their K or not.... Nice bad beat story for you here, last night was playing really well in the Primo, got it all in infront every time, i was sat comfortable above the average stack and had a read on the players... the loosest player on the table shoved for 10 blinds, I had AJ and called he turned A10, flop blank turn 10 ... then later on he lost an all in and shoved very next hand, im on BB with QJ, i make the call thinking he is tilting sure enough he had Q10, flop blank turn 10 again!!! ... Left me with 5 blinds and I soon went all in with junk, BB sat with AQ I didnt hit.  You need luck to do well in poker especially MTTs. At the end of the day though like anything, luck evens itself out and as long as your profitable over the long run your not doing too much wrong
    Posted by FlashFlush

So quite basically poker is 98% luck 1% knowing your opponent 1% knowing when to bet ?
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited November 2009
    Tournaments like velocity, russian roulette, scarys are 80% luck ... deepstacks and cash games are 25% luck IMO.. skill will win in the long run.
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited November 2009
      The main thing is with poker is that the luck only comes into play when you get to showdown. That is the only time when the Best Hand wins. As we all know it is possible to bet the best hand off the pot.

The better your knowledge of your opponents and position are then the importance of your actual cards and what you have hit become less.

In the late stages of an MTT or STT then luck and timing become more important as most hands will go to showdown after a shove and a call. But in the early stages of these and in cash game it is more often the best bet rather than the best hand that wins.

Good example of this was when i got bored playing a cash game and raised with 72 off, i got one caller Flop comes down and i missed so i fired out a c-bet and he folded. Was my 72 winning, i very much doubt it but my bets won the pot for me.I got no luck in the hand being dealt such a bad hand and then missing the flop still no luck. Luck can be counteracted with good play.
  • Options
    potters186potters186 Member Posts: 21
    edited November 2009
    well yesterday i went head to head went all in with aa other guy had 55 then flop turn river guess what river card was a 5
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tournaments like velocity, russian roulette, scarys are 80% luck ... deepstacks and cash games are 25% luck IMO.. skill will win in the long run.
    Posted by FlashFlush

So If 2 of the same standard poker players play against each other does the luck % increase?
  • Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited November 2009
    i think its a mix of all of those things.
  • Options
    SirFrankSirFrank Member Posts: 197
    edited November 2009
    LUCK ...hmmmmm nope not heard of that one ......I cant win, cant play, cant get any....luck that is ....lol!
  • Options
    FlutNushFlutNush Member Posts: 371
    edited November 2009
    I don't believe you can accurately apportion a percentage split between skill and luck.

But I do like an explanation that I read a while back: Luck dictates who has the best cards. Skill dictates who has the most chips.
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited November 2009
    Posted by FlashFlush

must agree with you flashgordon ,

the deepstacks take a lot of the luck element out.

me things the fast blind mtts are 99o/o luck lol
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't believe you can accurately apportion a percentage split between skill and luck. But I do like an explanation that I read a while back: Luck dictates who has the best cards. Skill dictates who has the most chips.
    Posted by FlutNush
    I like that quote but that means its on the cards you get dealt is the luck......and the rest is skill
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited November 2009

70%

• Options
    LadyFingrsLadyFingrs Member Posts: 613
    edited November 2009
    bout tree fiddy