You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

six seat tables

potters186potters186 Member Posts: 21
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
hi guys why do sky use six seat tables does it make easier game or harder thanks

Comments

• Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited November 2009
    dont know m8 but i prefer 10 seater
  • Options
    HartshorNHartshorN Member Posts: 616
    edited November 2009
    I prefer 6 seat tables. Don't know why, probably because it makes tournmanents shorter, and play quicker.

They do have 10 seats tournament every now and again also.
  • Options
    TorryladdTorryladd Member Posts: 503
    edited November 2009
    prefer 10 myself, maybe easier software to run
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited November 2009
    6 seaters are invariably quicker games. Blinds come around faster, starting hand values are increased. The range of hands to play therefore increases and this leads to more action.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,819
    edited November 2009

Hi pottters,

They have 6 seater Tables AND 10 seater Table, both in Tournaments & Cash games. Both are just as good, but require slightly different skillsets. 6 seaters are more aggro than 10 seaters, as the Button comes round more frequently, & there are less "dead spots" on the Table.

For reasons I can't explain, the 6 Seaters are much more popular.

When I do PTP & T-o-T Cash Nights, I only use 10 seater Tables, & I often open as many as 10 10 Seater Tables over the course of an evening.
  • Options
    diablo_pezdiablo_pez Member Posts: 1,392
    edited November 2009
    I prefer 6 seaters as that's what i've grown up with on here....10 seater is fun for a change though
  • Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited November 2009
    There are 6 and 10 seaters and I guess that Sky has evolved with 90% 6 seater preference.  As many players to sky are new, they build up their skills on 6 seaters and feel more comfortable on them. 
  • Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited November 2009
    i prefer 6.There is just much more action that way and i dont get bored as fast,lol.
  • Options
    Hogg321Hogg321 Member Posts: 260
    edited November 2009
    if your somebody who is patient and likes to multitable 3-4 at a time, 10seaters are the best

6 seaters provide more action, i think sky did 6 seaters as its more fun to watch
  • Options
    SHANXTASHANXTA Member Posts: 1,507
    edited November 2009
    much prefer 6max, 9/10 seaters are all about patience and waiting for hands, 6max hand values obviously drop and there is so much more play
  • Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,310
    edited November 2009
    Six seaters the best
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited November 2009
    6 Seater and live poker channel are the sky forte they would be wise to recognise this, this is what makes it different from all the other sites
  • Options
    AskiAski Member Posts: 263
    edited November 2009
    Not so much to do with the Sky reasoning as asked by the OP, but on a different site where by the options of 6 or 10 seater are more even, I have to admit for the preference of playing 6 seater fora  variety of reasons.

1) I play at low stakes, mainly due to bankroll, together with a lack of ability,however I think at that level I'm a decent enough player to get in the money more times than not. My priority is to get paid. At a 10 seater I need 7 people to get knocked out before you get in the money , at a six only need to get past 4

2) When I first started playing I played the standard tight ABC poker, 10 seater games were ideal , as you were able to sit back and wait for your hands, (providing the blind structure was decent), however I moved to 6 seater more as a way of trying to bring a bit of variance into my game, which would then allow me to be more confortable in MTT's if on a final table. Its similar to playing STT heads up games, because you may not reach that position very often in an MTT, you gain the experience in other games, so that you have the confidence when you do get to a similar stage in an MTT.

3) I know Tikay has said that he finds that 6 seater are more aggro, and I understand where he is coming from here, on the other site I play on, I find that 6 seater tables have the more experienced low stakes players at them. Now this may seem like a strange positive, given the small stakes I play for, I actually prefer playing against 4 good players and maybe 1 inexperienced, as that gives me more opportunity to improve my game, as opposed to 10 seater tables, where in my opinion on this one particular site, it seems to comprise more inexerpienced players, although it is good for learning how to deal with bad beats (please note I'm not referring to Sky 10 seater tournies here, Ive never played in any , so cant say what the quality is like)

4) Time issue, I may only get 30 minutes per day to play, hence I want to play in a tourny whereby I feel that it isnt going to eat into too much of my time. (this is another reason I'm not a good cash player, its not so much a patience thing, as not having the time to sit and grind)

As to whether 6 seater tables are easier or harder, then I guess that comes down to a matter of opinion.

On Sky I think they are probably a bit easier than 10 seaters, mainly due to the higher number of them, and thus you find that the more inexperienced players are likely to be on the 6 seater tables. On the other site I play, I think 6 are actually harder (but more enjoyable), as the inexperienced players tend to go for the 10 seater tables as its gives them more game play in theory