You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Advice needed

Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
edited July 2009 in Poker Chat

Hi, i'm fairly new to Poker and was just wandering what sort of Bankroll I need, obviously i'm gonna be starting on the 2p/4p level so what would be the bare minimum and recommended amount ?

Also is the No-limit cash tables the best option for me or should i be just sticking to the free-rolls?

Comments

• _AppleMac__AppleMac_ Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2009

Some players only put down 5% of their bankroll on any given one table, be it cash or tournament poker.

Personally I play with cash that I can afford to lose, otherwise I feel you get into risky territory. Play at a rate that is confortable to you... If you feel you can play at the 2p/4p level and not concern yourself about losing a big hand within this then that is fine...

I have tried cash at the 50p/£1 level and although the standard of poker is good and more enjoyable to play, some of the pots can rise very fast... and if then you end up with a pot thats £70+ and you think of that as cash then it can be quite daunting, and if this is the case you are playing at too high a level...!

I stopped playing cash soon after I started playing poker and changed to MTT's as thats what my game suited, cash is quite the different beast...!

As you said, you havent played much poker before and you want to get used to the structure, and you don't want to invest cash play some freerolls...!

I don't know what cash players normally suggest. Would be good to see...

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Advice needed:
    Some players only put down 5% of their bankroll on any given one table, be it cash or tournament poker. Posted by _AppleMac_
    I work like that, so to join a 2p/4p table I'd need at least £80 in my bankroll, since I'd want to join the table with 100 big blinds £4.00

• mike1975mike1975 Member Posts: 420
    edited June 2009
    you might find the sng double your money are a good place to start, you can join one from 30p, for that you get 2000 chips and a good amount of play without worrying about how much is in the pot, since you only lose 30p at most and you only have to come third to "double your money" hence the name. they are in the sit and go section of the poker lobby.
  • diablo_pezdiablo_pez Member Posts: 1,392
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Advice needed : I work like that, so to join a 2p/4p table I'd need at least £80 in my bankroll, since I'd want to join the table with 100 big blinds £4.00
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    im not sure you really need to be thinking 5% at these levels though, no way is £80 needed for you to be trying 2/4p - its hardly going to break the bank if you sit with £4 five times and lose it each time....
  • _AppleMac__AppleMac_ Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Advice needed : im not sure you really need to be thinking 5% at these levels though, no way is £80 needed for you to be trying 2/4p - its hardly going to break the bank if you sit with £4 five times and lose it each time....
    Posted by diablo_pez
    Very true, as I said its basically what you can comfortable afford to loose... If you want to learn the game and don't mind putting £5/£10 to learn the game then you can see it as an investment...! When you get to a more advanced level then bankroll is definately something you need to be a main prioity...! 
  • MRDICKIEMRDICKIE Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Advice needed : I work like that, so to join a 2p/4p table I'd need at least £80 in my bankroll, since I'd want to join the table with 100 big blinds £4.00
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    These are a great way to getting used to playing with real money. Please remember though that because of the structure there is not much "Poker" being played as all are just waiting for half of the field to go before cashing. They can last a while and can also be a bit of a bore.
  • hurst05hurst05 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited June 2009
    do NOT just play freerolls, the freerolls can have hundreds of runners and its bingo poker, you wont learn anything by playing these freerolls. Plus it could take a while before you actually cash decent enough in a free roll so you can start to build a roll. My advice, put £50 or whatever you feel you could lose and not feel down about. Then play the cash games, people say start on low stakes sit and gos but in fairness the sit and gos dont last very long and towards the end they become bingo like. Whereas you can play cash all day with no fear of being forced to go allin because of the blinds. Be patient and keep grinding out the cash games getting to grips with improving your game.
  • NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Advice needed : im not sure you really need to be thinking 5% at these levels though, no way is £80 needed for you to be trying 2/4p - its hardly going to break the bank if you sit with £4 five times and lose it each time....
    Posted by diablo_pez

Nowadays I'm just very strict with my poker bankroll. I have my rules and stick to them. I last deposited £50 into Sky in March 2009 (at around 195 games played on my Sharkscope graph) and since then I've been trying to claw back my previous 'no management' losses by playing SnG DYM
    You'll see the graph is headed the right way. That £50 is now £166 - not a huge amount but I don't play that many games so it's a bit of a slow grind! :-)

For me the 5% thing actually came from Steve Woodward aka OnTheR1ver (from his pokerspinners thing), which is basically Chris Ferguson's plan from when he was doing his $10k challenge. I think it's a good plan regardless of your wealth.

• Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited June 2009
    Cheers for all the tips, I reckon i'll start wiv the 2p/4p and mix in the SNG's to keep it fresh.
  • cabbie007cabbie007 Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2009
    Bankroll Management -

CASH - 20 buy-ins
    SnG - 40 Buy-ins
    MTT - 100 Buy-ins

Some players like to test themselves by depositing small amounts and grind it up, play to your strenghts.

But most important:

HAVE FUN
    PLAY WITH MONEY YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOOSE

good luck and see ya at the tables
  • Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited July 2009
    Bankroll Management - CASH - 20 buy-ins SnG - 40 Buy-ins MTT - 100 Buy-ins Some players like to test themselves by depositing small amounts and grind it up, play to your strenghts. But most important: HAVE FUN PLAY WITH MONEY YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOOSE good luck and see ya at the tables
    Posted by cabbie007
    Ye that point about "money you can afford to lose" is critical, it is hard though if it goes the wrong way and the money u set aside, u actually lose a lot of it very quickly then think OH NO what have i done.