You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Horses registered to run on consecutive days?

stretch83stretch83 Member Posts: 149
edited October 2012 in Sports & Betting Chat
Hi all,

I am new to racing and am thoroughly enjoying studying form and trying to pick my own horses without relying on racing post tips.

The horse I am interested in today is South Stack 14:20 (towcester)as his form is relatively good and he has had wins at towcester and exeter (similar course features) early this year. My concern is he is entered to run in exeter tomorrow (only just discovered thi after backing him)
Will the horse be asked to run at its full potential today?
If it runs well today would it be too tired to run tomorrow?

if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. 

Thanks

Nick

Comments

• Options
    andybuckandybuck Member Posts: 652
    edited October 2012
    tomorrows entry could be just a back up plan ,ie if the ground is unsuitable at one of the tracks,i wouldnt back it tmoz if it runs today because they are really testing tracks and must take alot out of the horses,have a look at its form through its carreer and see if it has had 2 runs in quick sucession before.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Thanks andy,

tomorrows race is in exeter (my home town) it has been raining continuosly for 3 days and I have heard that newton abbot meet has been cancelled on Friday due to poor conditions. So the track would at best be heavy in my opinion. Makes sense that they have booked two meets one as a back up now.
  • Options
    andybuckandybuck Member Posts: 652
    edited October 2012
    unlucky ran a good race,think it was there to win today just found one to good,,,it ran twice on the trot in may won the 1st day then pulled up the 2nd,so if it runs tmoz you will have to decide wether to back him,think its won on heavy and gd/fm so not sure what ground it wants
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Horses registered to run on consecutive days?:
    unlucky ran a good race,think it was there to win today just found one to good,,,it ran twice on the trot in may won the 1st day then pulled up the 2nd,so if it runs tmoz you will have to decide wether to back him,think its won on heavy and gd/fm so not sure what ground it wants
    Posted by andybuck
    Thanks for the info Andy, good spot that it has run before on consecutive days, and pulled up.  I was quite pleased that it beat Cardinal Rose, as all the money went on the Jonjo O'neil horse (jockeyed by AP McCoy) I was positive that this horse wouldn't fair as well as the market was suggesting as it has a reputation for finishing midfield at all trips. 

Reading the trainers notes on this race pre-race she suggested "a good each way bet" and in hindsight that is what I should have looked for, a bigger price with an e/w bet. 
  • Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2012
    stretch83

Man after my own heart, trying to find winners rather than taking tips from papers etc.

You will often find horses with multiple entries, I found one the other day that had 5 over four days. Very unusual to see them taking more than one although it has been known. In the days of Lanark racecourse the Scottish Festival was really crowded and I can remember a horse running four times in a week and winning 3 of them. Anyway I transgress.

Never be put off by multiple entries, it costs to enter so often, and sometimes it is a tip in itself, ie the horse is fit and they want to run it and hopefully win with it. You just have to hope the trainer picks the right race. 

Anyway to sum up, multiple entries are a plus not a minus. You will ususlly find that if the horse runs with its first entry and wins it will be a non runner the day after. If it doesn't win , and is a runner the next day, check first if it had a hard race the day before. If it didnt have a saver bet, if it did leave it alone.

Father V  
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    stretch83 Man after my own heart, trying to find winners rather than taking tips from papers etc. You will often find horses with multiple entries, I found one the other day that had 5 over four days. Very unusual to see them taking more than one although it has been known. In the days of Lanark racecourse the Scottish Festival was really crowded and I can remember a horse running four times in a week and winning 3 of them. Anyway I transgress. Never be put off by multiple entries, it costs to enter so often, and sometimes it is a tip in itself, ie the horse is fit and they want to run it and hopefully win with it. You just have to hope the trainer picks the right race.  Anyway to sum up, multiple entries are a plus not a minus. You will ususlly find that if the horse runs with its first entry and wins it will be a non runner the day after. If it doesn't win , and is a runner the next day, check first if it had a hard race the day before. If it didnt have a saver bet, if it did leave it alone. Father V  
    Posted by vaigret
    Thanks for the info Vaigret I really appreciate it.  South Stack didn't run at Exeter in the end, however after checking back on the Kim Baileys website she was pleased with the run but thought he could go one better, and in hindsight may have preferred the softer going at Exeter.  She had 6 horses at Towcester and had 2 2nd places and something like 3 3rds, a 4th and a lower placing(trainer possibly coming into some form early on?).  I will definitely follow this horse, and would not be shy of backing him again.  
  • Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2012
    no problem stretch and if it came second it was at least trying and by the way Kim is a man.

Father V
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ...... "Kim is a man." Father V
    Posted by vaigret
    lol, oops!