You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Down in her coat?????

stretch83stretch83 Member Posts: 149
edited October 2012 in Sports & Betting Chat
Hi all,

What does it mean, when a horse is down in their coat?

Before the Chevely Park stakes on the morning line, William Haggas played down Rosdhu Queens chances of winning the race, quoting that the fillie was down in her coat.  He repeated this after the race when asked whether he fancied her chances at the 1000 Guineas, "we will give it a shot, but I didn't think she will be able to run 6f, and she is down in her coat!"
I think it is a health issue but is it really bad that it would eventually mean she cannot race?

Sorry for the question again guys, really appreciate if anyone would be able to tell me what this means.

Comments

• Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,316
    edited October 2012
    Hi stretch

Just like a bad hair day/ not bubbly in humans

down in her coat means she is not blossoming/looking at her best at that particular time.
     and could be sickening for something or past her best for the season

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Thanks Vaig,

Is it kind of like when the commentators comment on how the horse looks in the parade ring?  So if she is not looking good, there is a chance she won't run well?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    a chance yes

sometimes espec with fillies at this time of year it also means they are starting to get their winter coats.

Most times with trainers it is a pre race excuse. I dont hold much store bye it if the form is there
  • Options
    ms-treems-tree Member Posts: 889
    edited October 2012
    to point out that horses still run and win when "down in her coat"   today i tipped up JUST THE JUDGE 4:05 Newmarket.  it won at 13/2 even tho trainer and attheraces said horse was "down in her coat".

if a horse runs please do not take price, as iit will drift out in market if "down in her coat"   as the big punters on course swerve these horses from the paddock looks.

Hope this helps.

Gl if having a bet.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Down in her coat?????:
    to point out that horses still run and win when "down in her coat"   today i tipped up JUST THE JUDGE 4:05 Newmarket.  it won at 13/2 even tho trainer and attheraces said horse was "down in her coat". if a horse runs please do not take price, as iit will drift out in market if "down in her coat"   as the big punters on course swerve these horses from the paddock looks. Hope this helps. Gl if having a bet.
    Posted by ms-tree
    Thanks ms-tree, I really appreciate the advice.  I didn't let it bother me on the day, and backed Rosdhu queen £2 at 6-1 and she came in.  It was my first weekend of following horses so I then put £4 on her to win the 1000 Guineas Ante Post at 25-1. So fingers crossed she has a good winter, and comes back stronger next year :)  I will probably look to lay her at a much lower price on the day if she even runs.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Sorry stretch

I was going to say yesterday stay away from Rodshu Queen for the Guineas. She wont get a mile although as you are already on I wish you luck.

Father V
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Sorry stretch I was going to say yesterday stay away from Rodshu Queen for the Guineas. She wont get a mile although as you are already on I wish you luck. Father V
    Posted by vaigret
    I backed her immediately after the win in the Cheveley, after learning a little more I tend to agree with you about her not going a mile so it's a pure hope that she shortens considerably and I can lay at a shorter price.  I do hope she maintains a great 6f horse though as she seems formidable at that length race.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Down in her coat????? : I backed her immediately after the win in the Cheveley, after learning a little more I tend to agree with you about her not going a mile so it's a pure hope that she shortens considerably and I can lay at a shorter price.  I do hope she maintains a great 6f horse though as she seems formidable at that length race.
    Posted by stretch83
    Agree 6 furlongs she is very good and hopes she goes well at 3
  • Options
    joesman1joesman1 Member Posts: 2,053
    edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Down in her coat????? : Agree 6 furlongs she is very good and hopes she goes well at 3
    Posted by vaigret
    Brilliant idea Father V. . . Bring in 3 furlong sprints!!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Down in her coat????? : Brilliant idea Father V. . . Bring in 3 furlong sprints!!
    Posted by joesman1
    LOL