You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Trials and tribulations - ‘Test of ones patience or endurance’, ‘difficult experiences’...

2»

Comments

• Options
    xfgwdtboswxfgwdtbosw Member Posts: 45
    Hi Tikay10.
    Thanks. For me it’s an amazing photo!
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Great update and congrats on the progress. I'm sure you'll be battling away at 20nl in next to no time :)
  • Options
    After playing NL4 on Sky Poker for far too long I managed to increase my bankroll to a level where, last month, I started playing NL10.
    Well, the good news is, at the start of November I’m still playing NL10!
    Initially I found it difficult to play at the higher level but I’m now totally comfortable and (I know this is rather tempting fate) hopeful that it won’t be too long before I can move up again.

I have been asked if it is more difficult. Before I answer read these comments from a very successful online pro -

‘The skill difference between NL5 and NL25 is pretty marginal. The biggest step is WINNING AT ALL.
    Players don’t get really good till NL200. You can probably lump together NL2 to NL25 and 50 to 200’

So is it more difficult? My honest answer is no, for me at the moment, it’s not.
    There are some good players but, in my opinion, there are plenty who are of a similar standard to NL4.
    There also appears to be a number of players who just load up the max and play pretty aggressively till they eventually lose it all.

So, I’m definitely happy playing NL10 but that’s not to say I’ve had a great month.
    I’ve still got loads to learn and as anticipated I played far less recently but going into November I should have a lot more time.

Heres my (not great!) bottom line
    Balance Oct 1. £308.96
    Balance Nov 1. £322.46

This was basically the first half of the month cos I’ve not played a lot since then. I’ve been learning a lot and have been trying to put some new theories into practice, some of which were more successful than others. I’ll keep trying though!

I really enjoy learning more about the game but there are a few problems I’ve come up against. Many players must have had the same problems that I’m facing so I’d appreciate any comments.

You gotta be quick!
    Theory is all very well, you can learn loads (which I have). You can also watch players discuss hands endlessly but, ultimately, you’ve only 10 seconds to make a decision.
    Watch a live game and it can be mind numbingly boring. Top players can take an eternity to make a decision and then still get it wrong!
    Your definitely not going to get it right all the time online!

Hand histories
    Go to any poker forum and you will see plenty of the ‘what did I do wrong’ type of posts.
    You will also see plenty of different opinions.
    Replies such as ‘your bet size was too small/big on the flop’, ‘you should have cbet on the flop’, ‘you should have just folded pre flop’
    This suggests to me there are no definitive answers, just opinions. I realise that some comments are from better players and far more valid than others but which ones?
    I am definitely questioning how useful it is to look at too many hand histories.

How good is the coach?
    Just because someone has won numerous bracelets, millions of dollars etc doesn’t necessarily mean they can show you how to beat 6 max NL10. I could load up some YouTube videos about playing NL4. Doesn’t mean it would make you a winner though!

Over my head!
    A lot of coaching does not relate to the level I’m playing at. Here’s a good one.
    ‘Everyone knows everyone else’s 3 betting ratios from each position’ Do they?
    Maybe this is true at higher levels but at the moment this does not help me too much.

What should I watch?
    A lot of YouTube material is several years old. In this time the game has evolved tremendously. I initially watched older material without actually realising that some if it was probably outdated.

That’s enough rambling from me this month.
    I’d really appreciate any of your thoughts on how I keep improving, and in particular, thoughts on the best coaching sites.

Finally
    I’m often reading posts on the forum stating that online poker is rigged. These are always from losing players (you never hear a successful player complaining about it!)
    Anyway, here’s a good quote for all those who suggest Sky Poker is rigged-
    ‘The cards will break even over time. They don’t know who you are and they don’t care’.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,723

Hi Mr Scrabble Factory alias.

I can't help with advice on how to beat the game - if only - but I think you are doing great. If I'm not mistaken, you began back in August with about £200, right?

And now.....

Heres my (not great!) bottom line
    Balance Oct 1. £308.96
    Balance Nov 1. £322.46

Looks pretty good to me. All those hours fun, not only at zero cost, but you've made a few bob too. As hobbies go, that's well good.
  • Options
    Hi Tikay10. I started the posts then but I actually started with £10 so I guess that’s a good investment so far!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,723
    Type your comment

Hi Tikay10. I started the posts then but I actually started with £10 so I guess that’s a good investment so far!

Even better.

Keep it up, & that'll be the Xmas pressies paid for.