You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

live poker hand

rspca12rspca12 Member Posts: 618
edited December 2014 in The Poker Clinic
hi merry xmas and all that. was playing a live comp yesterday 100 pound buy 700 players down to final 12. 12 million chips in play i have 1.2 million, so just above avg. and we 6 handed on two tables, blinds are 20k-40k so im 30 bigsd deep. i open utg to 80k with jj utg+1 calls 600 k stack cut off passes button shove 800k. small blind tanks call 500k big blind passes. and up to me what to do. i passed. button player agro and just lost big pot small blind tightish. prize pool was something like this.

12 -9 700 
8-5 1-2k
4 3k
3 4.5 k
2 10k
1 16.5k

Comments

• Options
    reelerreeler Member Posts: 416
    edited December 2014
    In Response to live poker hand:
    hi merry xmas and all that. was playing a live comp yesterday 100 pound buy 700 players down to final 12. 12 million chips in play i have 1.2 million, so just above avg. and we 6 handed on two tables, blinds are 20k-40k so im 30 bigsd deep. i open utg to 80k with jj utg+1 calls 600 k stack cut off passes button shove 800k. small blind tanks call 500k big blind passes. and up to me what to do. i passed. button player agro and just lost big pot small blind tightish. prize pool was something like this. 12 -9 700  8-5 1-2k 4 3k 3 4.5 k 2 10k 1 16.5k
    Posted by rspca12
    what are u asking 
  • Options
    rspca12rspca12 Member Posts: 618
    edited December 2014
    is it a call
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: live poker hand:
    is it a call
    Posted by rspca12
    id be either folding or all in shove i would never be happy to just call there. i need more info on opponents that are in the pot ty
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: live poker hand:
    is it a call
    Posted by rspca12
    yeah sorry tight player just calls thats a tough one he probably has got a decent hand but doesnt bank on u having jj so i would all in and hope the tight player doesnt have better . thats what i would do . then again id prob bottle it and fold its never a call in my opinnion .
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited December 2014
    A call is the same as a shove reeler. Someone has shoved for 800k, and the only player left to act in the hand (apart from us) has 600k so calling is the same as shoving.

It's probably close chip EV wise, not done numbers but instinctively I'd say it's probably +EV to call but think I'd fold myself just to take a lower variance route, especially live where people's ranges to GII pre tend to be tighter imo.
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited December 2014
    Sb has 12 bigs,/ button could be steaming. It's pretty close, think it's a call. We should be crushing the SB or racing against AQ. Think we are in decent shape against the button. Prob more call/ fold
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    edited October 2018
    Nice pass nitspca12
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,029
    I think people are wrongly assuming that more than 6 out of the remaining 12 are competent poker players-this is only a £100 MTT. So (for example) it SHOULD not matter whether we call or shove, but it DOES. Never assume the person yet to act knows what you do. Similarly, anyone with 15 bigs who is flatting an UTG min-raise with 4 behind is very likely to have a worse hand. Always amazes me how few people realise when you can no longer set mine.

The other thing to bear in mind is the payout structure. The payouts are relatively flat until the massive jump from 3rd to 2nd. You have got to be aiming harder than usual for top 2 here.

For me, this is an instant reshove, making it look as though my call was so obvious I did not need to think. I think that I would be at least 50/50 to win the hand (as it stands now) and I am going to need to double up pretty soon anyway.

I might be an ABC Geriatric, but at least I'm not a nitty one :)

Interesting spot.
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    No way 2018 Chris passes this. Funny to look back and see how much people's games have changed since 2014.