You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Week 1 "Big Game" - how did they do? And how would YOU do?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,097
edited November 2018 in Poker Chat
Morning.

As you know, last night was the first of the "Big Game "final tables", which is this Promo;

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/big-game-promo

So, 6 players each sat at a timed cash game with the £1,000 they had "won", played for 2 hours, & at the end of those 2 hours the table closed, & the players got to keep whatever they were left with.

The 6 players last night, & how they qualified, were;

Cash Race Winner

alancarr12

SNG/MTT Race Winner

TimmyRaRa

Priority Prize Draw Winners

VlalIlia

Rhythm1991

Prize Draw Winners

paulj3001

smith1408

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018
    After 2 hours, when the table closed, this was how they stood; (approx., as I may have missed the very last hand, but there was no significant action in that hand)

@smith1408 £985

@Paulj3001 £980

@alancarr12 £2,165

@Vlalilia £0

@Rhythm1991 £840

@TimmyRaRa £1,015

Vlalilia's "exit" was his A-K v Alan Carr's 7-7, on an A high board something like this;

4-7-A-K-x

• Options

Watching the game, it was evident - & completely understandable - that the players approached the game different ways.

Some were happy to gamble, others were in lock-up mode. To some players, of course, £1,000 is a whole lot of money, & they'd happily have taken the £1,000 up front & not played a hand if that were possible. Others would happily have gambled the lot & tried to win the whole £6,000, or maybe lose their £1,000 in doing so.

So the question is......
  • Options

If YOU were at that table, with £1,000 that you had won (at no cost), how would you have played it?

Lock-up mode, gamble mode, or somewhere in the middle?
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited November 2018
    Tikay10 said:

After 2 hours, when the table closed, this was how they stood; (approx., as I may have missed the very last hand, but there was no significant action in that hand)

@smith1408 £985

@Paulj3001 £980

@alancarr12 £2,165

@Vlalilia £0

@Rhythm1991 £840

@TimmyRaRa £1,015

Vlalilia's "exit" was his A-K v Alan Carr's 7-7, on an A high board something like this;

4-7-A-K-x

It was x7ak so top 2 against an aggro player
  • Options

^^^^

Thanks @MattBates, I only saw the hand momentarily just before it disappeared off the screen. Ungetoffable then, especially in these circumstances.

I have no criticism or view on that hand really - I'm just interested to hear how others would approach the game.

I can think of a whole bunch of players who would insta "lock-up", & I can completely understand that.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Tikay10 said:

If YOU were at that table, with £1,000 that you had won (at no cost), how would you have played it?

The concept is really good but the trouble is that it doesn't encourage action. Alan is the only one who is used to sitting down with £1k so can be more fearless than the others.

I think a lot of people will say they wouldn't nit it up but most would. I think the mindset is I have won £1k and people will try and hold onto as much of that as possible rather than think I started with nothing lets go for as much of the £6k as possible.
  • Options
    glencoeladglencoelad Member Posts: 1,505
    I am even worse at cash than MTT so would prob nit up, play only major hands and get them bust, end with zero cash . But think its a great promo.
  • Options
    BlackpumaBlackpuma Member Posts: 203
    MattBates said:

Tikay10 said:

The concept is really good but the trouble is that it doesn't encourage action. Alan is the only one who is used to sitting down with £1k so can be more fearless than the others.

I think a lot of people will say they wouldn't nit it up but most would. I think the mindset is I have won £1k and people will try and hold onto as much of that as possible rather than think I started with nothing lets go for as much of the £6k as possible.
    Agree with Matt
    Myself personally would try and hold on to much as i could, Nice little bankroll for mtt, Great promo by the way, Something different
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,648
    Nit up
    1k means a lot to me
  • Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    I agree with Matt to. Alan is used to sitting with 1k (normally on a £20 spin up ;) ) so could apply a lot of pressure. Great promo though.
  • Options
    AB0151AB0151 Member Posts: 275
    I would actually (try) to turn it around on the high stakes grinders and indeed relish the chance to play stress free at an effective 1000nl table given that I would have had to have qualified via a prize - i.e. I would see the opportunity very much as "gravy"...a bit like when you sat into an EPT or the like
  • Options
    ckdckd Member Posts: 1,386
    all in every hand until bust or the winner worked for Gus Hansen... just put a sticky note over your cards and have fun for free
  • Options
    ckd said:

all in every hand until bust or the winner worked for Gus Hansen... just put a sticky note over your cards and have fun for free

I wonder how that ended........

• Options
    edited November 2018
    @Tikay10 he won it ....... poker superstars 3 check it out on youtube
  • Options
    Type your comment
    ckd said:

@Tikay10 he won it ....... poker superstars 3 check it out on youtube

Well yes, that's true, but I think his losses at the poker tables eventually totalled some £20,000,000.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    The only place with bigger swings than Gus's poker history is Monkey World.
  • Options
    @Tikay10 still think it is the best play for this game..... you have 4 players apart from the cash player who will most likely fold away..... yes you need luck and a lot of it but think it could work in this game...... and if not you lose nothing
  • Options
    Type your comment
    ckd said:

@Tikay10 still think it is the best play for this game..... you have 4 players apart from the cash player who will most likely fold away..... yes you need luck and a lot of it but think it could work in this game...... and if not you lose nothing

Ahh, yes, I'm not saying it would not work. Just that, in the long run, it'd likely end badly.
  • Options
    H3nryH3nry Member Posts: 39
    Assuming 60 hands/hr that's 10 orbits an hour so you could time out for two hours and guarantee yourself £700.
  • Options
    Type your comment
    H3nry said:

Assuming 60 hands/hr that's 10 orbits an hour so you could time out for two hours and guarantee yourself £700.

Which, for many players, is tidy money, especially if they are likely to be out of their depth on the table.

And of course the other side of that coin is that a good player would recognize that situation & (try to) exploit it. Would be a weird dynamic, too.