You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Unlucky for some-1 man's Vegas trip

EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,281
Thought I would share my trip to Vegas, and give brief highlights.

This was my 10th trip to Las Vegas, and my 3rd with Sky. I have always regarded this sort of trip as work time, with a bit of fun thrown in.

With next to no sleep, dive in to a Seniors Tournament at Planet Hollywood. Early start (10 am)-I always assume that Seniors tournies start first, as our bladders mean we are up anyway ;). 11 hours in, and reasonably deep in the money despite never having a big chip stack. Raise with QJhh, reraIse, call. Flop Qc10h8h, it all goes in v A Q. Miss the gazillion outs, finished 13th. Nice-ish start, but 13th is only 6% of the prize of 1st.

Sunday was the SPT in the Venetian. Bit disappointing, for 2 reasons. Firstly, the dealers were great but the floor seemed to resent us being there. Secondly, I played terribly. Most interesting hand was v the eventual winner (GSmith). He shoved on a 357-6 rainbow board. I folded 44. I still feel it likely that he had 89, but still feel I should make the call there. If my stack size had been double or half the size (I had 16k behind) it was it was an easy call. The shove (10.5k into an 8k pot) meant he had 89 or air most of the time there.

Then played a few small tournaments. Got rivered for 3rd in one, made a small profit in those. Played a PLO8 tournament at Orleans-some 400 runners, and who do I get on my left? Tikay :) Standard of play was woeful, got knocked out twice by people with spanners. Fun game though, and Pompey finished 18th.

Next was the Seniors tournament at the WSOP. Made Day 2, but busted out about 200 spots from the money, when Blind on Blind my A rag lost to someone's K rag. Fun tournament.

Last tournament was a small ($130) MTT at Orleans. Running well, with 20 left I was in the lead. Then I flopped a house to knock out the guy in 2nd, and had 25% of all the chips in play. Whereupon the wheels fell off. Lost 5 consecutive flips or better to finish 13th. At 04:30 am. And again, 13th paid 6% of the 1st's prize money. Bookending 13th places was not part of the plan ;)

At the close, had made a small profit from the poker, but less than the amount spent on day-to-day living. Vegas has become very expensive. A fun time, although watching some guy aged about 30 keel over with a heart attack on the flight home was not a good experience.

Thanks to Sky for organising the fun parts of the trip, and for the SPT. They do not get the thanks they deserve. Particular thanks to @MISTY4ME @pompeynic and @Tikay10 for making the trip enjoyable. Hope Nick and Tony are still having a fun time in the US.

Thanks for reading. Must go now-needy dog to take for a walk....

Phil

Comments

• Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    Welcome home, monumental respect, bun fights, at OK corall, left right and centre, here ( normal! ) lots to catch up on! Best wishes