You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Running for good cause

HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,183
Thought long and hard about posting this, I kept this quiet and @Tikay10 very kindly never mentioned it last week, I saw a few people down in Manchester and I felt I had to explain why I struggled to speak so much later in the night (it wasn't just drink.....honest :-) )
The chance to help others is too much for me to stay quiet and the generosity of all those who have contributed is phenomenal, if you can, please help, I saw many people who have been dramatically affected (it doesn't feel it on my dark days, but I was one of the lucky ones) both physically and mentally.
If this is on the wrong page (I realise it has nothing to do with poker) and if it needs moved please do so, and if it is frowned upon please remove
Thank You
Neil
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/neil-colquhoun-resolution-run-edinburgh-2020

Interview with local paper which helped a lot .

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/professional-edinburgh-golfer-who-survived-stroke-while-course-will-tackle-resolution-run-charity-1741721

Comments

• GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,598
    Hi neil, i had read about your story (big golf fan)
    Could i ask ( ok if u cant\dont wanna answer thats fine btw)
    You mentioned you had a couple of tia's prior.
    What were these symptoms?
    P.s. Stenson & height?
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,183
    Glad to answer @Glenelg
    I felt a little dizzy and had to stop what I was doing and stop walking the first time ( like the feeling you get if you get up too quickly), then I was seeing double for the second one around 3 times I had to stop whilst driving from Glasgow back to Edinburgh (around 40 mins) it sounds daft now but I still never went to see a doctor, just thought it would be ok in morning.
    I would recommend anyone to speak to doctor sooner rather than later and don't be like me.

• EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,432
    Sorry to read this Neil but glad to see that you are still able to play golf and are making a good recovery. I hadn't seen much of you on the tables the last few months and had wondered why, it makes sense now.

It was good that you had someone present who recognised the symptoms and you got taken to hospital quickly.

I've made a small donation.

Thanks Paul, much appreciated
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,400
    Hey Jimi

Two things?

How many shots will you give me AND can we play for money?!

Just done a small donation...if every SPT player who met you at Manc, matched my small donation...wow, wow!

All the best

MP
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,821
    edited February 2020
    Sorry to read this Neil.

I know people that provide the aftercare near where I live, they are a dedicated bunch.

And ive a mate who had a stroke 15 years ago, he started eating fruit , fresh fish and swam a lot, he still goes for a beer now and again.

You wouldnt know he had a stroke , unless its his round and he reminds you hes not too good at getting to the bar, hes Scottish too.

Its good to see youve got a massive support network round you.

Good luck on your run.

Take care Charlie.

Ps, fired a tenner.
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    HENDRIK62 said:

Glad to answer @Glenelg
    I felt a little dizzy and had to stop what I was doing and stop walking the first time ( like the feeling you get if you get up too quickly), then I was seeing double for the second one around 3 times I had to stop whilst driving from Glasgow back to Edinburgh (around 40 mins) it sounds daft now but I still never went to see a doctor, just thought it would be ok in morning.
    I would recommend anyone to speak to doctor sooner rather than later and don't be like me.

A mantra I live my life by.

WWJD, then do the opposite.

All the best mate, see you in a few weeks.

• tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    Hi Neil
    I’ve just broken my “ never do money online “ mantra , and did it all by myself 😊
    Wishing you all the best in your recovery
    Many thanks in helping with mine, tc mate.
    Thanks all for you messages (if I can get @tomgoodun to post money to Just Giving I can do anything :-))
    In all seriousness all the support in Manchester and from everyone means a lot to me

I am bound to miss people and for that I apologise, @pomfrittes and @Essexphil for putting with me at bar and the young team that whipped us at bowling (only cos you had more playing :-))

You get no shots @madprof Danny :-) and thanks very much for the donation

@hhyftrftdr lacking a filter is a good thing because what you say we can trust (thanks for donation earlier, so good of you)

@mumsie they work so hard every one of them and show remarkable patience, your friend sounds like a man after my own heart, it only hurts when money is involved :-)

@cpfc_2010 when he is not watching palace was first to donate

@LmfaoAllin @day4eire76 when they are not out all night (still sorry) and sleeping in stations have also been hugely supportive

Neil

• waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,066
    Can only echo what has already been said. It's great to see that are recovering well and fair play to you for deciding to go the extra mile and raise some money to help others who find themselves in the same situation.

All the best and I shall donate this afternoon.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    Hi Neil,

Just come across this. Read the story about your illness and the positive steps you are taking to give back to those who have helped/ are helping you.

Felt compelled to make a donation, only sorry it cant be bigger.

Stay positive and sincere wishes for a successful recovery.

Mark
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    All the best Neil just don't do a forest Gump and stop when you finish your run
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    edited February 2020
    Hi Neil,
    I was wondering why you hadn't been around the PLO8 scene much.

All the best and good luck on the run.

I won a tenner on last night's FR so I may as well donate it.
    It's better than giving it to eon on the DYMs later.

Edit
    Donated.

• pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    Hey, Hendo, sorry to hear this m8 but really pleased you are on the mend. TBH had no idea you were having problems, but , there again would not have noticed anything wrong with your speech as neither of us got a word in.
    Hope the run and recovery go well bud, and I will stick a donation on later.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

Extraordinary recovery, you must have a very strong constitution.

Great comeback, so pleased for you.
    Thanks everyone, it really is massively appreciated, this is what makes Sky special
  • thislteduthisltedu Member Posts: 398
    Thanks for sharing this Neil. It was great seeing you at the SPT. You hid any problems very well. Best of luck with your run and continued recovery. Hope to catch up again soon.
    Donald
    thx Donald and I really hope to get down to Machrihanish for a game with you at some point in the summer (my cousin is actually a member of the dunes course so goes down for a game often)
    Neil
  • safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,542
    Good luck with the recovery. Popped a small donation in enjoy the run Neil.
  • thislteduthisltedu Member Posts: 398
    Fantastic Neil, I'll get some practice in.