You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Best Sporting Occassion?

68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943

What's the best / most memorable sporting occassion you have attended?
Photos would be nice.
Last season's play off final for me.

Comments

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    edited April 2020
    I didn't go to the semi final or the final in 2011 I was skint as always, I have to say @lucy4 offered me a ticket to the final but it would have cost more than a season ticket so I declined
    The best for me tho was in 1993 , sorry I have no photos, we were top o the league in league two when we went to Vale park, Vale were 3rd, there were 6 or 7 thousand Stokies when The Golden One (Mark Stein) scored early(I've got goose bumps now thinking about it)the mental was so intense and sustained I thought I was having a heart attack after it subsided
    We won 2-0 and went 10 points clear
    I was young it was a great time to be a Stokie
    Great thread trebor
    Edit: I'm on me phone atm when I get on the laptop there's a YouTube clip of Steino scoring I'll find it and put it up later
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    68Trebor said:

What's the best / most memorable sporting occassion you have attended?
    Photos would be nice.
    Last season's play off final for me.

Bah
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015
    edited April 2020
    Being a Grimsby and England fan it is difficult to choose any great football memories. We won at the old Wembley twice in 1998 and then there is obviously Italia 90, Euro 96 and the last World Cup for half decent England achievements in my living memory.

So I'm going for Super Saturday during the London Olympics, as sporting dramas go, that takes some beating for me.

Edit: The I read the question properly and see that it has to be one I have attended. So yeah it has to be Grimsby's wins at Wembley in 98, we had a half decent side in those days.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    4.42 in just look at the mental
    https://youtu.be/yX49d4Wq3VU
  • Options
    stokefc said:

I really do miss the good old days of standing on the terraces, mates all together, falling down the terrace as you scored.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,202
    68Trebor said:

stokefc said:

I really do miss the good old days of standing on the terraces, mates all together, falling down the terrace as you scored.
    That mental is also in my top 5 of all time (Liverpool away is another). I was stood about halfway back just to the right of the goal and ended up down by the Lorne St paddock.

My mate was in the Bycars end which was all seated and went absolutely insane when "The Golden One" netted that then spent the next 10 minutes fighting off angry Vale fans.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,202
    On a deeply personal note it would have to be Stafford u 15 v Newcastle U Lyme u 15 in the final of the Staffordshire Rugby Union Shield in 2008. We had coached the lads to victory in the plate final the season before but this was definitely another level.

Now we were never going to get to compete for the Cup, Lichfield, Stoke and Wolverhampton simply had resources and access to player pools that we could only dream of.

What followed was the greatest 60 minutes of rugby I've witnessed, never mind from 2 under 15 teams.

Stafford were the home team and by half time had a 10 - 0 lead with some breathtaking play despite the best defence our lads had produced in probably 4 years.

The second half was nothing short of unbelievable as Newcastle camped inside the Stafford 22 with wave upon wave of attack continually repelled by the most unyielding of defence.

Eventually it cracked not once but twice and with about 2 minutes to go our stand off slotted the only successful conversion of the game and Newcastle ran out 12 - 10 winners.

Had this game been played at the top level it would still be shown on t.v. to this day. Neither side deserved to lose, both came out of the game with nothing but the utmost credit

As a coach, player, spectator, referee and administrator within rugby that was my nadir, an honour to witness, a privilege to be a part of.

I know it doesn't rank with many major events but it has a very special place in my heart.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
  • Options
    DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    Watching Forest in the European Cup final in Munich versus Malmo the game was dire but to be in a final like that with a provincial team was amazing.
  • Options
    DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    For a great game has to be my first Forest game versus Manchester City who played all their stars Lee, Bell and the rest. We destroyed them 4-1 or should I say Duncan Mcenzie destroyed them Ian Bowyer scored one of the best goals I ever saw from a yard out from a pass by Mcenzie after he beat three defenders and the goalie magic.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,554
    Well, after all the (mostly) testerone fuelled posts above i'd like to share mine..
    Mate & i were walking\running the french section of the GR5 circa 1986\7 .Chamonix to Nice. 300kms. Anyhoo, on approaching a col near Grenoble we saw in the distance a large crowd, actually we heard the noise first...turned out it was only the Tour de France on alpes d'huez .... 2 x sweaty runners witnessed one of the best sporting occasions in the world..
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    edited April 2020
    01/07/2016 Lille, France
    Wales 3 v Belgium 1 EURO2016 Quarter Final
    The best day of my life. And my wife knows it, and understands.

We just wanted to qualify for a major tournament for the first time since 1958.

We wanted to qualify from the group.

We wanted to finish top of the group.

And now we were in the QF.

Wales went 1-0 down early on. The dream was ending.
    Ashley Williams equalised before half time.
    Could we hang on for penalties?
    In the second half Hal Robson Kanu did a Cruyff like turn in the penalty area and left 3 Belgium players in his wake as he calmly slotted past Courtois.
    2-1 with 35 minutes left. That's a long time to hang on.
    85th minute Chris Gunter races down the wing.
    Every Wales fan shouts "take to the corner".
    On TV later, Chris Coleman can be seen to mouth " Don't you cross that F..,ing ball Christopher".
    Of course, he crosses the f....ing ball.
    "What the f... are you doing" we shout.
    At the near post, up pops Sam Vokes to head the ball home.
    3-1.

I cried.

Before the game, Wales and Belgium fans drank and sang and danced together in the town centre.

After the game, nothing different. It was hard to tell who had won.
    The Belgians were a joy as they drowned their sorrows and celebrated Wales progressing.

The beautiful game.

Sorry for the waffle.
    As I said, the best day of my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHFqqbV-4MY
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,169
    Mine has to be GOLD CUP DAY 2007 in the SEASONS HOLIDAYS Private Box

Far too many free bottles of Bud. and glasses of Champagne.... some lovely free food..... a FANTASTIC view of the Racing.....

OH YES........

and I backed KATCHIT in the Triumph Hurdle..... WON @ 11/2
    as well as the Boss's horse MOBAASHER e/w ..... 3rd @ 33/1
    WITCHITA LINEMAN in the Nov. Hurdle..... WON @ 11/8 Fav
    KAUTO STAR in the Gold Cup..... WON @ 5/4 Fav
    and finished with
    PEDRO BOB e/w in the County Hurdle..... WON @ 12/1

An AMAZING day ....... and I even managed to put up with Tony @HAYSIE :)

Having a Hole-in-One at the 7th at Pebble Beach.....as well as being at WEMBLEY when The OWLS beat The BLADES with Waddler's wonder Free Kick <3 in the Semi-Final of the 1993 FA Cup were both pretty special too :D
  • Options
    freeatlastfreeatlast Member Posts: 1,449
    As a Fulham fan we haven’t had much to celebrate in the 50 odd years I’ve been supporting them, in that we’ve only been to 3 finals lost to West Ham in1975 after playing a record number of games to get there, the first Europa League Final in 2010 losing again to Athletico Madrid in extra time, to a team that included David De Gey and Sergio Aquero again playing 19 games to get there, and then finally getting to final and actually winning one, the 2018 playoff final, it was great going back to Wembley 43 years since the last time I was there, going with mates who I had gone to the 1975 game with. It’s was a brilliant day,
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,773

@freeatlast

Crikey, you must be older than me if you were at that Final in 1975. Nice post, and as a season ticket holder in the Daily Forum comp I really should respect you, but I have been a life long Brentford fan, so I have my reservations.

There really have been some character & big names associated with Fulham, Tommy Trinder of course, George Cohen, Johnny Haynes, Saha, van der Sar, Zamora and a particular favourite of mine Clint Dempsey, Bobby Moore & even George Best. You've not done so bad for a little club.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,273
    MISTY4ME said:

Mine has to be GOLD CUP DAY 2007 in the SEASONS HOLIDAYS Private Box

Far too many free bottles of Bud. and glasses of Champagne.... some lovely free food..... a FANTASTIC view of the Racing.....

OH YES........

and I backed KATCHIT in the Triumph Hurdle..... WON @ 11/2
    as well as the Boss's horse MOBAASHER e/w ..... 3rd @ 33/1
    WITCHITA LINEMAN in the Nov. Hurdle..... WON @ 11/8 Fav
    KAUTO STAR in the Gold Cup..... WON @ 5/4 Fav
    and finished with
    PEDRO BOB e/w in the County Hurdle..... WON @ 12/1

An AMAZING day ....... and I even managed to put up with Tony @HAYSIE :)

Having a Hole-in-One at the 7th at Pebble Beach.....as well as being at WEMBLEY when The OWLS beat The BLADES with Waddler's wonder Free Kick

I used to qualify for one of the helicopters, rather than travel with the riff raff.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,031
    edited April 2020
    1. Going to Lords to watch a local village cricket team, Cookley CC win the Haig National Village Knock Out Competition in 1977
    2. Local rugby club, Cleobury Mortimer, at Twickenham in 2006 for the Powergen Junior Vase, great day out although they lost.
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

1. Going to Lords to watch a local village cricket team, Cookley CC win the Haig National Village Knock Out Competition in 1977
    2. Local rugby club, Cleobury Mortimer, at Twickenham in 2006 for the Powergen Junior Vase, great day out although they lost.

When I was a kid we used to live in Clows Top and go to Cleobury Mortimer for an afternoon out. Small world.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,036
    The first ever FA Cup semi-final at Wembley in 1991, where the mercurial Gazza scored THAT free-kick past a hapless David Seaman in the Arsenal goal, sending us Spurs fans into raptures. Awesome display, awesome result and awesome memories
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,031
    68Trebor said:

VespaPX said:

When I was a kid we used to live in Clows Top and go to Cleobury Mortimer for an afternoon out. Small world.
    No way
    I was born on the Forest