You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Your Daily Question, Monday April 20th. Music gigs.

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
edited April 2020 in Poker Chat
Best gig you've ever been to?

Comments

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,025

Metallica headlined with a set that felt like hours, such a great band.

During the gig people kept throwing plastic bottles onto the stage while Marilyn Manson was performing. He stopped halfway through a song to warn the crowd that if one more bottle was thrown then he would "kick somebody's ****". Another bottle flew onto the stage and true to his word, he climbs down from the stage, jumps over the barrier and starts trading punches with some guy in the crowd. He then finishes the rest of his set before smashing up the drums with his guitar, showing us his testicles and stomping off stage. We didn't care though because Metallica were on next!

What a band.
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    I saw Iron Maiden at the Hammersmith 10-odd years ago, I think they were touring Dance of Death. Not really my taste in music but it was a birthday present for my brother but it was insane. It was much more theatric than the kind of gigs I usually go to, which tend to be much smaller affairs in small dimly lit bar with relatively unknown indie bands. They had a massive animatronic reaper on the stage and Bruce Dickinson was flying through the air at one point.

Best gig with a band I actually like was seeing F*cked Up, a Canadian hardcore punk band, when I lived in the U.S. some time after Chemistry of Common Life came out. This was one of those small, dimly lit bar affairs. The singer was in the crowd interacting with people through the whole show. At one point he ripped his shirt off and smashed a beer can into his forehead, then looked directly at me and started walking towards me while he bellowed away. I was pretty intimidated as he's a big guy but as soon as he got in front of me he just hugged me and walked away. Been a big fan of this band since their first record came out and that interaction cemented them as one of my favourites.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    The Last Night of the Proms 2013.
    The first to be conducted by a female, the first half highlighted by Nigel Kennedy’s brilliant performance of The Lark Ascending. He would, in the less formal second half, perform a fun filled version of The Csardas , which had the audience and orchestra laughing in equal measures. The soaring voice of Joyce DiDonato taking Somewhere Over The Rainbow to new heights.
    Finally, arm in arm, my three brothers and I sang raucously along with Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory, Jerusalem and the National Anthem. A night never to be forgotten.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Best gig, well I was fortunate enough to be here

https://youtu.be/Bs3RLRF5akk

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Kayne West, barely a word to the crowd all concert. Great live performance and walks off after finishing his last song.

Boss! :smiley:
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231

Tremendous, a great concert in my wee home town, Bruce Foxton was in my local having a drink, disnae get any better than this.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,655
    edited April 2020
    Saw U2 a couple of times, Big country were fabulous but I think the best one i went to was my 1st gig at the Victoria hall it was Killing joke in 84 it was absolutely mental
    https://youtu.be/x1U1Ue_5kq8
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    stokefc said:

Saw U2 a couple of times, Big country were fabulous but I think the best one i went to was my 1st gig at the Victoria hall it was Killing joke in 84 it was absolutely mental
    https://youtu.be/x1U1Ue_5kq8

Prefer love like blood more ;)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    rabdeniro said:

Tremendous, a great concert in my wee home town, Bruce Foxton was in my local having a drink, disnae get any better than this.

@rabdeniro

Yes, but have you seen any proper bands, that, you know, can play their instruments & sing properly?
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,281
    Iron Maiden at Twickenham 2008 on the only Uk leg of the "Somewhere back in Time" Tour 2008.

2 hours plus of material from the first 7 albums and Avenged Sevenfold as special guests

Cant count festivals and such as gigs as its a different experience otherwise its Download, always Download, absolutely Download.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,025

Iron Maiden at Twickenham 2008 on the only Uk leg of the "Somewhere back in Time" Tour 2008.

2 hours plus of material from the first 7 albums and Avenged Sevenfold as special guests

Cant count festivals and such as gigs as its a different experience otherwise its Download, always Download, absolutely Download.

Good taste in music.
    Saw Avenged Sevenfold at Rock City in Notts. Another great gig.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231
    Tikay10 said:

rabdeniro said:

@rabdeniro

Yes, but have you seen any proper bands, that, you know, can play their instruments & sing properly?
    Wooooooooooooooow there cowboy, wash yer mooth oot wae Carbolic.
  • Options
    daggers747daggers747 Member Posts: 188
    Ian Dury and the Blockheads.

Gants Hill Odeon. 14/06/1978.

Brilliant gig in a small venue. Great musicians and an amazing man.

Happy memories.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111

Ian Dury and the Blockheads.

Gants Hill Odeon. 14/06/1978.

Brilliant gig in a small venue. Great musicians and an amazing man.

Happy memories.

Was that when loads of people (including me) fell in the orchestra pit no-one knew was there? He laughed like a drain...
  • Options
    daggers747daggers747 Member Posts: 188
    Think it was the only time they played there It was only a music venue for a short period.

Carnt remember that incident but it was a long time ago.

If you were there small world.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,305
    First gig- Thin Lizzy at Northwich memorial hall Feb 74 (My future wife was there but I didn't know it!)

First Festival Bob Dylan Blackbushe Aerodrome 1978
    Support: Eric Clapton and Band, Joan Armatrading, Graham Parker and The Rumour, and Lake

Best? Bob Marley 12 July 1980 in Chester or was it Ian Dury & Blockheads , Theatre Mogador, Paris 1981.....hmmmm

Sorry but so difficult to choose one AND it doesn't include Muse in France 2017!
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    Difficult. Think I'll go for Sabbath, 1980, with the late, great Ronnie James Dio on vocals, as Ozzy had just quit/been sacked.

My biggest regret is never having been to Download. But I would have loved to have seen Graham Parker...
  • Options
    TheDartTheDart Member Posts: 1,581
    stokefc said:

1st gig I went to was also Victoria Hall, 1983 Tears For Fears and I loved every minute of it.

Brilliant atmosphere and many a great night out at the Vitoria Hall in the 80's.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    It's a flip between Shed Seven and Editors.

Shed Seven at Castlefield Bowl in Manchester, June 2018.
    Gloriously sunny day, their biggest ever headline show (at that time) so they were well up for and it was a monster set. A great day but the hangover next morning was off the scale. Think it was more through accident than design but we had an incred view of the proceedings.

Editors (Leeds O2 Academy, 2015 and 2018)
    A finer live band you simply won't see, and it is all about the music with Editors.
    Little to no chit chat between songs; they get on stage, nail it for 2 hours and slink off into the evening.

I've seen them in larger venues (most recently at the arena in Birmingham back in February), but its these academy sized joints where they take the roof off and really come into their own.
  • Options
    TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,242
    God that is so difficult. I have been incredibly lucky and seen many many concerts. First one, Trentham Hall, Emerson Lake & Palmer. A week later Pink Floyd and another week later Status Quo. That was back in the 70's and I continued going to see some of the biggest names right up until about ten years ago. Longest? The Boss (Bruce) in the US, over three hours without a break! Best? Probably the most emotional one, the Tribute to Freddie Mercury at Wembley in 1992