You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

"Nice hand". What does it really mean?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,430
edited April 2020 in Poker Chat
You've got it in real bad with 7-3 off against a chap with Aces who flopped his set, but you 4 flush it & somehow get there.

Aces man, just as he leaves the table, types....

"Nice Hand"

What do you think he really means?

Comments

• Options

Nice catch Sir
  • Options

Well played
  • Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    Muppet !!!!!!! ?
  • Options
    CarnageCarnage Member Posts: 48
    Yet the speech marks suggest a hint of “sarcasm”
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299
    I'm guilty of saying " nice hand" when I can see they either have it or I can see why they called...10J suited etc BUT as described...

I can only say that WHEN THIS HAPPENS I occasionally type
    " hmm..nh...eventually.." when really we are all thinking FFS!

fwiw I'm a 72 suited kinda guy...73off..pffft!

Then again, someone we all know but shall remain anonymous (mmm bop..) regulalry shoves (when he's bored) and wins with 64 off..like I say I wont mention Will's his name :#
  • Options
    thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 934
    "lucky *insert choice of insult*!" :D
  • Options
    YOUNG_GUNYOUNG_GUN Member Posts: 8,948
    I found myself doing this of late.. someone did reply thanks! Although it was clear sarcasm, should stick to nothing on chat really as you don't gain anything from it. (Notes to self)
  • Options
    hazelwoo05hazelwoo05 Member Posts: 53
    Good question, often something said in live play. I don't generally comment online unless a really interesting hand. I generally use for the following

1. A genuinely nice hand.
    2. A bad play by villain who got there and want them to carry on playing this way.
    3. A really tough hand to take and say nice hand to stop a further rant that isn't going to benefit my emotional state and may convey too much to the table.
    4. To be friendly as you are sat with these people for a long period of time... potentially.
  • Options
    YOUNG_GUN said:

I found myself doing this of late.. someone did reply thanks! Although it was clear sarcasm, should stick to nothing on chat really as you don't gain anything from it. (Notes to self)

I fancy he was being as sarcastic as you were...
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Depends on the player, tone, and maybe whether it was a beat or non beat from their side.

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    The lovely Rose writes something in chatboxs that, not me obv, people could get slightly irked by.
    She absolutely means it with the best of intentions and zero malice
    If say 2 players get it all in with Aces v Kings, she’ll write “nice hands”
    The one who loses may not enjoy it that much
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462

Good question, often something said in live play. I don't generally comment online unless a really interesting hand. I generally use for the following

1. A genuinely nice hand.
    2. A bad play by villain who got there and want them to carry on playing this way.
    3. A really tough hand to take and say nice hand to stop a further rant that isn't going to benefit my emotional state and may convey too much to the table.
    4. To be friendly as you are sat with these people for a long period of time... potentially.

I definitely use the first three.

The other one I sometimes use is the "Chop nh", where you both have the nuts then ironically give each other an over-the-top nh message in chat.
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Jac35 said:

The lovely Rose writes something in chatboxs that, not me obv, people could get slightly irked by.

Remember the time you said "stay classy Greg" when i said nh to someone who coolered you with aces. :D That was probably my best moment on sky poker.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    gregkdy82 said:

Jac35 said:

Remember the time you said "stay classy Greg" when i said nh to someone who coolered you with aces. :D That was probably my best moment on sky poker.
    Glad to be of service 😊
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,171
    Nh means nice hand.

If I want to be sarcastic then I will use other expressions such as "very well played" or "wow you're really good".

• Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    I think it's a bit strange, people tend to say "nh" when it's just fortunate you happened to be dealt aces and you got it in pre. Makes more sense to me to congratulate someone on a hand well played, but as stated that can come across as sarcastic. My favourite one though is "wp me" :D
  • Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
    Nh = nut straight or nut flush
    Vnh= quads or straight flush
    Nh can also be when a player plays the hand well
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,276
    nh means nice hand
    vnh means very nice hand
    wp means well played
    however 'nh wp' sometimes means you lucky **** how can you play that badly and get that lucky? But only sometimes.

Prefixing any of these comments with 'sigh' means 'I haven't won a hand in ages despite getting it in good over and over again, I've probably lost with aces 15 times in a row and every time I get it all in pre with a high pocket pair against a rag ace the flop will contain at least one ace.' As you can see it's easier to just type 'sigh'.

• Options
    trevil25trevil25 Member Posts: 98
    when someone calls an all in after playing for 2 hours with all there chips that they have built up, with rag ace and they dont bink , then the winner gets a nh . not that im on a bit of a roll of getting done by rag ace grrrrrrr