You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Weird Wednesday one maybe ..... Political person in Britain

CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397

Which politician do you admire most pre 2000?

Which politician do you admire least pre 2000?

Answers

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,814
    edited May 2020
    Crikey, that's a weird one, that's 20 years ago.

Admire most pre 2000? - Well in my lifetime, that's easy, be it pre or post 2000 - Margaret Thatcher.

Admire least pre 2000? That's much harder, but probably Edward Heath.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,018
    Most - Thatcher
    Least - Blair
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,222
    Most - John Smith
    Least - Where do you start, got to be Thatcher.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,985
    Most-John Smith
    Least-David Mellor
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Tikay10 said:

Crikey, that's a weird one, that's 20 years ago.

Admire most pre 2000? - Well in my lifetime, that's easy, be it pre or post 2000 - Margaret Thatcher.

Admire least pre 2000? That's much harder, but probably Edward Heath.

This seems like a FYP from back in the day ;)

Had highlighted admire as it felt wrong to have admire and politician in the same sentence :)
    rabdeniro said:

Most - John Smith
    Least - Where do you start, got to be Thatcher.

Your a Sotsman aren't you? :blush:

What's wrong with Maggie?
  • safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    Most - Nye Bevan
    Least - Thatcher pure evil
    Most - George Galloway
    Least - @Tikay10 choice
    edited May 2020
    Would anyone be able to give a reason or two why Margaret Thatcher is in a couple of the MOST categories :)

From the little I know about "The Iron Lady" she is disliked in the Northern part of the country and would hazard a guess that includes the Irish countries. A question, was Ireland a whole country back in the 80s?

What about Wales, was she liked by the majority of the Welsh? @Duesenberg ;)

Genuinely fascinated with Margaret Thatcher, very divisive character
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,831
    edited May 2020
    This is a really difficult question to answer, and many people will select one particular thing that a politician is responsible for that they disapprove of, and forget any good stuff.

Although some are easy like Enoch Powell for his open racism.

Nigel Farage, although he would have had much less of a voice prior to 2000.

Nye Bevan for the NHS.

Churchill for the War.

To nominate Mrs Thatcher for the booby prize, means forgetting about curbing the all too powerful unions.

Where factories were shut down because a non electrician operated a switch.

I remember the power cuts on dark winter nights.

Longbridge seemed to be shut down every other day, at the expense of the taxpayer, and at the whim of the unions.

There always seemed to be someone on strike.

What about the Right to Buy, which allowed the working man to own his home, which wouldn't have been possible previously.

Tony Blair gets it over Iraq, but the below lists some of his good stuff.

. Blair is the Labour Party's longest-serving Prime Minister, the only Labour Prime Minister to have led the party to victory since 1974, and—having led the party to three consecutive general election victories—also the only Labour Prime Minister to serve two full consecutive terms.

In domestic government policy, Blair significantly increased public spending on healthcare and education while also introducing controversial market-based reforms in these areas. In addition, Blair's tenure saw the introduction of a minimum wage, tuition fees for higher education, constitutional reform such as devolution in Scotland and Wales and progress in the Northern Ireland peace process. The UK economy performed well and the real incomes of Britons grew 18% during 1997–2006. Blair kept to Conservative commitments not to increase income tax in the first term although rates of employee's National Insurance (a payroll levy) were increased. He also presided over a significant expansion of the welfare state during his time in office, which led to a significant reduction in relative poverty.[1]

On balance I suppose I would go along with Nye Bevan, and Enoch Powell.

If you eliminated the 2000 limit there would be competitors like Jeremy Corbyn, Nigel Farage, Mark Francois, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Ann Widdecombe, Priti Patel, Ken Livingstone,
    Kate Hoey, Chris Grayling, John Redwood, Steve Baker, Boris Johnson.

There aren't very many that could fill the admired spot.
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    Least - Thatcher
    Most - John Smith

(no I am not Scottish and as an aside I think the political leader I despise the most is the current PM, Dominic Cummings) :#

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,133
    Liked the most Thatcher
    Liked the least Thatcher

As a young man leaving his teenage years and progressing into adulthood, she was the Canines gonads. Made you believe anything was possible, but it was you who had to make it happen.

As an average working man she was a vile, industry smashing, yuppie promoting privateering Satan

I loved her and hated her in equal measure.
    HAYSIE said:

This a really difficult question to answer, and many people will select one particular thing that a politician is responsible for that they disapprove of, and forget any good stuff.

That's a great point Haysie. Easy to skew our own view based on a one particular thing that stands out to us.

Thanks for your post in the thread, will take time to digest the rest of it even though I have given it a quick read.

Cammy

But @HAYSIE remember Tony Blair P.M. is an anagram for Im Tory Plan B

But @HAYSIE remember Tony Blair P.M. is an anagram for Im Tory Plan B

Only if you conveniently just use some of the letters.

So not really.
    It uses them all so yeah really. 11 letters in each no misses and no repetition. Seems to fit the definition of an anagram.

It uses them all so yeah really. 11 letters in each no misses and no repetition. Seems to fit the definition of an anagram.

Blair has an I in it, and PM an m, so where is the I and the m, in tory plan b?
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,814

Off to Specsavers with you @HAYSIE.

This is what @TheEdge949 wrote;

Im Tory Plan B

I think you might find that Tory Plan B, has nine letters?

Hence the 2 letters left over.

So it is an anagram but with 2 letters left over.
    Alternatively you could change it to Tory Plain BM.

It doesn't seem to work so well.