You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Life's guilty pleasures?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,521
edited July 2020 in The Rail
Most of us have a few guilty pleasures.

Name some of yours.

Comments

• Options

I have to admit I do rather enjoy one of these each night...

• Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    Heh, funny you should start this thread and I thought twice before making this post but if it can help somebody else to quit that'd be absolutely fantastic.

My guilty pleasure has been pot or as they call it in Wales mwg drwg, pronounced moog droog, since I was about 14 and I was never really free of it. Quite literally a guilty pleasure because it's illegal. Problem was I was effectively disabled. Super anxious all the time, and a shocking shocking short term memory. I could often not remember what I was thinking about half way through thinking about it.

I quit last month and to say life is different would be the biggest understatement ever. I can think, I can remember, I can articulate. My anxiety is almost non existent. I'm finding pleasure in the simplest things like talking to the bat **** crazy Irish lady who lives round the corner. I used to avoid her before.

That said, I'm a bit ott atm and maybe need to reign it in a little. It should come with time.

Don't do drugs kids.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Wow, that's amazing @kapowblamz

I actually noticed a difference in your style & tone of posting in the last few weeks. Might be coincidence, but I really sensed it.

I am hugely anti-drugs, but having said that, there but for the grace of God & all that it would be me. The main reason I've never touched them is that I know once I started I knew I would never be able to stop. So I got lucky really.

I did do cigarettes most of my life, that's a drug too, the difference being cigarettes - which kill us - are legal. Go figure.

I have read just about every rockstar biography, including the big smackheads such as Anthony Keidis, Keith Richard, Steven Tyler, Duff McKagen, plus I'm Joe Walsh's biggest fan, and it's weird, I loathed that they all took drugs to such excess, but I ended up admiring them hugely when they eventually managed to get clean. Seems dead easy to get hooked, but incredibly hard to get off.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Here's a wonderful film by & about Duff McKagen, & what drugs can do. And what happens when they manage to get off.

Warning - it's an hour & a half long, but a truly fabulous story & well worth a watch. Sorry about the sub-titles, but the video is all in spoken English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCV3OzmF_sQ
  • Options
    In relative terms, compared to those guys, I've had it easy. Pot isn't physically addictive, it's all mental, and my brain is doing happy cart wheels at the thought of being free of it so I'm onto a winner. If I'd been hooked on heroine things would of ended up very bad indeed.

I'm still hooked on the nicotine, but via vaping, which I think I can live with for now. One thing at a time.

I'll watch that documentary tonight. It'll be therapeutic, no doubt.
  • Options

In relative terms, compared to those guys, I've had it easy. Pot isn't physically addictive, it's all mental, and my brain is doing happy cart wheels at the thought of being free of it so I'm onto a winner. If I'd been hooked on heroine things would of ended up very bad indeed.

I'm still hooked on the nicotine, but via vaping, which I think I can live with for now. One thing at a time.

I'll watch that documentary tonight. It'll be therapeutic, no doubt.

Please watch it - I'm quite sure you'll love it. The first 10 minutes is a bit flat, but once it gets going it's some story.
  • Options
    I absolutely will. I'm even resisting reading Duff's Wikipedia page until after.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Small punts on the quiz machines :blush:
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Massive kudos to @kapowblamz , kicking any addiction is a very long. arduous and often frightening thing. Huge admiration and sincerely well done.

Don't really have a guilty pleasure, as it's been everything to excess of late. Maybe revisit this after a few months of the health kick and see what little cheats have crept in.

• Options
    Tikay10 said:

I actually noticed a difference in your style & tone of posting in the last few weeks. Might be coincidence, but I really sensed it.

I am hugely anti-drugs, but having said that, there but for the grace of God & all that it would be me. The main reason I've never touched them is that I know once I started I knew I would never be able to stop. So I got lucky really.

I did do cigarettes most of my life, that's a drug too, the difference being cigarettes - which kill us - are legal. Go figure.

I have read just about every rockstar biography, including the big smackheads such as Anthony Keidis, Keith Richard, Steven Tyler, Duff McKagen, plus I'm Joe Walsh's biggest fan, and it's weird, I loathed that they all took drugs to such excess, but I ended up admiring them hugely when they eventually managed to get clean. Seems dead easy to get hooked, but incredibly hard to get off.

Hugely anti-drugs too Tikay. Experimented and have a little understanding how addictive they can be, not for me. Can ruin people/families more than other addictions I feel.

Not about the one @kapowblamz is referring to btw, it's got more benefits than others of course and I personally use a variation of it myself.
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

Tikay10 said:

Hugely anti-drugs too Tikay. Experimented and have a little understanding how addictive they can be, not for me. Can ruin people/families more than other addictions I feel.

Not about the one @kapowblamz is referring to btw, it's got more benefits than others of course and I personally use a variation of it myself.
    CBD?
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Jaffa Cakes by the box full.
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
  • Options

Ahh, NOW we are getting there. Jaffa Cakes, Ambrosia Rice & Maple Syrup. Hardcore stuff now. Bring it on.
  • Options
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    Weetabix with butter :-)
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

Get outa here you perv.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    Tikay10 said:

VespaPX said:

Get outa here you perv.
    Yummy

• Options
    edited July 2020

Cammykaze said:

Tikay10 said:

CBD?
    Yeah, find the balm from H&B quite good, I use it twice a day at the moment. Rub into clavicle area, below the chin.
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

Tikay10 said:

VespaPX said:

Get outa here you perv.
    Yummy

That has got to be a windup..... :lol: