You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

I do not have a gambling problem so can we please stop doing this.

2»

Comments

• kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    People complain that they or their family is a mess because of gambling. They complain to their mp, or to a charity, or the ukgc, who in turn lobby the government. If this issue comes up enough they have to deal with it. The more it comes up the stricter regulation becomes.

While some would call it nanny state it's not. Its just the government reacting to the concerns of those lobbying.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,432

People complain that they or their family is a mess because of gambling. They complain to their mp, or to a charity, or the ukgc, who in turn lobby the government. If this issue comes up enough they have to deal with it. The more it comes up the stricter regulation becomes.

While some would call it nanny state it's not. Its just the government reacting to the concerns of those lobbying.

does it matter if we call it the nanny state or iggidy bob? if the wrong regulations/legislation comes in it hurts us all the same regardless of whether we see it as nanny state or the government just responding to lobbying.

the real question I guess is what is likely to come in. are we likely to see restrictions on how much we can bet in any period or what stakes we can play?
    or is it simply going to be a deposit limit?
    or nothing at all?
  • RinkhalsRinkhals Member Posts: 212
    Just to throw my 2p into the ring I'll tell you about a family member how thek keep telling me gambling is for mugs. It's a fair point but the irony is that on average I'd say they spend about £60 a week on alcohol and tabacco. Maybe even more whilst on average I reload my account probably once every 3 years and then it's only £20 a time. I could afford more but don't need to.

The thing is if the government bought in a law that was based on the amount staked then I bet (pun intented lol) that a player with a similar profile to mine from the point of view of deposits made could quite easily break the threshold purely because of the amount of games that they play if they played at the higher buy in levels.

Basing it purely on amount staked might have no relation to the player's profitability but as has been said it's a nice headline grabber.

I'm playing mainly £0.28 and £0.55 DYM's and average about 100 games a week. It would look from the amount staked that I'm gambling anywhere from £28 to £55 a week or £1456 to £2860 a year. Trouble is it takes no account of the wins or that a lot of that is recycled money. The reality being I've probably made a small profit.

Meanwhile my family member has stuffed the best part of £3000 down the toilet with no one telling them that they have a problem.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,432
    so now Boris Johnson and Domnic cummings are taking over the whole gambling review and looking for a massive overhaul calling it exploitative.

Basically they want to distract attention away from themselves and their major **** ups with Covid.

If they cared about people been exploited why do they continue to prop housing prices and buy to let market? I am all for captalism but a rigged economy allowing rich people to borrow made up money that never existed to acquire assets and increase the value of property pricing poorer people permantly out of the market, and then forcing the people at the bottom of society to effectively pay these loans off for the rich. Thats not exploitative??

or how about the major malpractice of banks/loan sharks where banks can literally fine you hundreds of pounds in fines for going pennies over your overdraft limit and then charge extortionate interest and then when somehow you do get in the position to pay the whole debt of in one go delibrately obstruct you from making payment to clear the debt to the point where you end up with a situation literally close to hostage negotiation just to pay of the debt. Why because they want to keep fines and interest coming. Then when the bank goes busto presumably because people dont want to get morgatages with them after been screwed like that or any financial products the government bails them out and makes sure they win legally to continue this business practice.

If this Government cared at all about people been exploited or exploitative practices surely this would have been dealt with in a different way?

anyway apparently they are looking at extreme affordability checks, staking limits, and limiting the speed of bets.

Which means all the heads up hyper turbo people on here, and all the turbo don people on here might be about to get royally screwed, Cash games will likely go byebye and I guess the only thing left will be micro staked MTTS.

https://www.highstakesdb.com/10574-boris-johnson-to-rewrite-uk-gambling-laws-as-industry-reels-from-new-curfew.aspx

• chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    From the way you’ve finished your post, you are really thinking about how a change might affect you. That’s fair enough.
    There are many folks with gambling problems,some hide it from their partners.
    There are various “ Responsible gambling notices” under Skybet.
    If you don’t recognise it as a problem for some, then you need to open your eyes.
    Alistair Darling ( Labour ) saved some banks,which was crucial at that time.
    The BOE sets interests rates,then it’s up to the borrower and lender to sort out a deal.
    I’ve worked with guys that worked out the housing market in the 80’s.
    Rents cover mortgages ,whoop whoop. Buy a few houses. These guys were just tradesmen in the building game.They wouldn’t have classed themselves as rich then.
    Folks bought their councils houses, moved from my area to somewhere cheaper, Quids in.
    There are far too many landlords in this country for sure, but we have free markets.
    There’s a big difference between “ everybody needs somewhere to live”, and buying your own place.

There are and will be folks far worse of than yourself.
    You won’t know what’s going to happen on here in the future anyway.
    Some people invest, some waste their money.

Stay Alert.
  • chappo100chappo100 Member Posts: 116
    the UKGC can do one they are so annoying. so playing on an ipoker skin today I busted out two rebuys because I hadn't clicked stay logged in on some new session time reminder. Ask support how to take off this session time reminder and it gives you the option of 30min or 1 hour as a reminder that you are gambling. like literally not in anyone elses business GTFO out of mine would be so f nice to play a poker session without stuff like this causing chaos.