You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Bankroll Building

mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
edited February 2021 in The Poker Clinic
As it seems to be groundhog day everyday during lockdown I am starting to get allot more serious about my poker. I am currently starting a bankroll building challenge mainly playing DYM and small stakes deep stacks & bounty hunters. I have started with £75.28. I aim to post weekly on a Sunday. I really love the game and am at best break even but I am just trying to get better with studying more, looking over my hands, putting in as much volume as I can but also balancing this with work and having a family as well. I had a small profit this week not allot but its a start. One of my goals is to become more profitable and increase my Sharkscope ability which currently puts me at 64 ability. I would welcome any comments or hands to talk about and I will post some hands as well. I play as McGlynn07. Good luck to all the sky players. Thanks for reading Danny
1st - 7th Feb 2021
Games 106
Staked £300.30
Cashed £310.35
Profit/Loss £10.05
Current Bankroll £85.33

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,075
    Good luck with this Danny.

It can be both rewarding and frustrating when we are trying to undertake a challenge and if I could offer any advice, not that I'm a good player. It would be to not get too up when things are going well and equally dont let the bad runs get to you.

I too am currently doing a bankroll building challenge using micro dym and freeroll / tickets. It's great fun so enjoy the ride and keep us posted.

Mark
  • mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    With my first week of the challenge I was focusing specifically on aggression and I had lots of big pots, some very good spots and lots of woeful plays/bluffs. It was allot of fun and I found the benefit of being aggressive at certain times is very much needed.
    I have decided to cut down from 4 tables to 2 as I have noticed that where I am making mistakes at certain times because I have played the spot incorrectly not giving enough thought to the situation I am in, or level of tournament we are in, or type of player I am up against or what the dynamic at the table is because my focus is spread too wide.
    This proved costly last night, not in monetary terms but in terms of progression. This is such an aspect of the game that is paramount to success when you understand the game flow and the moment that is in front of you or where you find yourself. I post 2 hands today that were either played badly by me or that I can learn a different approach or action. Hand One is Cutoff vs blind where I have trips vs two pair and make my river bet too small when the only play should be to shove or check shove. As I did not want check check I vb too small trying to induce. Really bad play when I see what he turned up with.
    Hand one
    mcglynn07 Small blind 40.00 40.00 2545.00
    bigballoo Big blind 80.00 120.00 1930.00
    Your hole cards
    J
    Q

carm999 Fold
    MCP Raise 160.00 280.00 1890.00
    tman69 Fold
    mcglynn07 Call 120.00 400.00 2425.00
    bigballoo Fold
    Flop

J

mcglynn07 Check
    MCP Bet 160.00 560.00 1730.00
    mcglynn07 Call 160.00 720.00 2265.00
    Turn

J

mcglynn07 Check
    MCP Bet 360.00 1080.00 1370.00
    mcglynn07 Call 360.00 1440.00 1905.00
    River

mcglynn07 Bet 480.00 1920.00 1425.00
    MCP Call 480.00 2400.00 890.00
    mcglynn07 Show
    J
    Q
    MCP Muck
    K
    K
    mcglynn07 Win Three Jacks 2400.00 3825.00

Hand 2 So late in a small tournament I had been patient, aggressive and at that stage where we widen our ranges as the need to progress with a chance of building a big stack.

Paddyboy1 Small blind 600.00 600.00 21490.00
    suziem3 Big blind 1200.00 1800.00 22080.00
    Your hole cards
    J
    Q

mcglynn07 Raise 2400.00 4200.00 28120.00
    TKDROB Fold
    DUKING Call 2400.00 6600.00 15251.50
    Paddyboy1 Fold
    suziem3 Fold
    Flop

K

mcglynn07 Check
    DUKING Bet 2400.00 9000.00 12851.50
    mcglynn07 Call 2400.00 11400.00 25720.00
    Turn

J

mcglynn07 Bet 2400.00 13800.00 23320.00
    DUKING Call 2400.00 16200.00 10451.50
    River

Q

mcglynn07 All-in 23320.00 39520.00 0.00
    DUKING All-in 10451.50 49971.50 0.00
    mcglynn07 Unmatched bet 12868.50 37103.00 12868.50
    mcglynn07 Show
    J
    Q
    DUKING Show
    K
    A
    DUKING Win Straight to the Ace 37103.00 37103.00

I feel his flatting range for this tight player can be 99 TT AK AQ KJ and KQ but not KK or QQ. Because there are so many hands I can get value from here checking is worst play. I was afraid of scaring him away and not focused on building the pot with a great hand. After spending time on aggression last week and trying to be familiar with being in big pots. I need to write some notes as reminders for when I play and also have some goals for the session.
    Mark/ The Edge cheers for the advice. I will take it on board. I wish you luck with your challenge and hope it goes well. I think the emotion of the game and the wave of a few good results can really squew your thought processes. I am trying the hard work and consistent approach now. Turning up every day and working at it in an effort to succeed and beat this thing rather than expectation, thinking I'm better than I really am and thinking poker owes me something. True edge comes from thought processes, ranges, value betting to the thinnest extent and putting in the hours away from the game to prepare you for the battle ahead and create the exploits. See you at the tables eh?!? Thanks Mark. Danny
    This week I have been experimenting with 3/4 bets just to see again what spots I can come up with when it works and when it does not. Been fun but also looking afterwards in hand history to see what I can learn from peoples reactions and what they respond with. I have really cut down on my volume and only 2tabling now so have allot more thoughts going into my decisions. I have been tilted just now as I got deep on small tourny last two tables 9 left and I lost internet connection for about 10 minutes, so very tilting but it could be allot worse in life at the minute with all that is going on out there in the world. Gonna call it a night as good decisions wont come from me now.
    A winning week so have to stay positive. Thanks for reading. Danny
    8th-14th February
    Games 72
    Staked £231.14
    Cashed £269.71
    Profit/Loss £38.57
    Current Bankroll £118.64

• chappo100chappo100 Member Posts: 116
    gl on the grind, have you been on the skypoker discord? a lot of decent HH discussion on there to if you studying hard to improve. https://discord.com/channels/719924318238277663/719924318238277667
    This week has been a bit chaotic. Had a few arguments with the mrs which has left me a bit tilty at the tables but if I felt it ever impacted on my play then I turned off and walked away. Therefore I have really struggled for volume and had a small losing week. You know we embrace it. The imperfection of this game where it mirrors me when sometimes its good and sometimes truly shocking whether its the result or the play I make or my read or my interpretation of what is going on around me.
    I have been trying to focus on what I am good at and understand my strengths and try to stay away from my weaknesses. (I have many btw). I have decided that at present I am no good at multi tabling so this week I am going to just do one table from now on and this week ahead excites me as I get to produce month end figures and I know I am going to have my biggest plus week so far. Positive mental attitude is plan for this week. I am pleased I have the discipline to walk when I cant give my best due to mood or my attention not being in the moment. This is a big deal for me as in past I would have just plowed on and the losses would have been £50-£90 easily I reckon.
    Writing on here makes me accountable to you guys. So small pat on the back there as I have to see this as a step in the right direction and I am really enjoying my poker at the minute.
    Thinking about writing some goals for the year so will update next week and I think having something else to strive for will help me push forward. Will be trying cash a bit more this week so will let you know how it goes. I hope everyone is well and coping mentally with the messed up situation we are living in. Good luck all and thanks for reading. Danny

15th-21st February
    Games approx 81 (my excel closed and i never saved it) have autosave on now
    Staked £262.80
    Cashed £247.71
    Profit/Loss - £15.09
    Current Bankroll £103.53

• gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Good luck with this Mr McGlynn.
    Cheers Reg I mean Greg, be good mate see you on the felt.
    21st -28th February
    Games 80
    Staked £219.65
    Cashed £232.42
    Profit/Loss +£12.07
    Current Bankroll £116.30

February Totals

Games 339
    Staked £1013.89
    Cashed £1060.19
    Profit/Loss +£41.30
    Current Bankroll £116.30

Focused on hand reading this week and looking back at certain spots that have been very interesting and given me allot to think about. Working plenty away from the table and making lots of progress but still making lots of mistakes including bluffing in certain spots that are just not good for my range or my hand or the position I am in at the table, or my opponent which has made me a bit too transparent and easy to play against at times. This has made me very short stacked also which again hampers my ability in game which is a downside but as a plus I am very glad that I have been trying to include this as I don't want to be betting only when I have it. I have been slowly doing more multi-tabling as one table at a time is pretty slow. I more often than not have a constant dialogue either verbally or in my head of what is going on in most hands which has made the game allot easier to play. Sometimes this stops when I am just watching a certain hand playout amongst certain people to see what they turn up with.

The enjoyment of the game is really very high at the moment with me nailing certain decisions or putting someone on a range or hand and benefiting from it by either making the right decision to call or fold or at times taking them off of the pot.

The challenge at the moment is trying to be consistent. Trying to turn up every day and put the effort in with play and study. Sometimes I am lazy and just play but my results are never as good as when I study first, but neither is my focus or my enjoyment so understanding that effort and enjoyment are more closely linked and tied in to results and overall what I get from the game as a whole has been my biggest learning point this month.

Also I must stay away from regs and try and focus on other players. (Note to self)

I have not written any goals at the moment but I might based around volume and study. These are the things that with determination and effort I can achieve. I want to focus more also on playing well and making good decisions at the table and taking the onus off of winning and making cash. I know we don't always get what we deserve in poker so by changing what is important to me I understand that I am trying to do something different than I have done before which is one of the most important things we can do as players to improve ourselves, our outlook and what we are trying to achieve.
    One thing that has surprised me is I never realised that I could stake as much as I have done from such a short bankroll.
    Must stay away from cash also as I am not currently rolled for it. Too many ups and downs and too swingy to stay level headed.
    I just want to improve month on month and try and become a better player.
    Thanks for reading this and speak to you next Sunday.
    Hope everyone is coping ok and am happy to answer any questions or talk about the game. Regards Danny
    This week I took three days off so did not have as much volume. I really needed a break to gather my thoughts and think about my game and how I can make progress that is beneficial and not so much mistake based. I was experimenting with different parts of my game but was also noticing that the same mistakes as before where appearing which hinders my progress so it's like two steps forward and one step back. I felt it was necessary to do this as it definitely is a leak of mine that limits my enjoyment and ultimately my development.

Mistakes are for sure a part of the game but some are avoidable.

I have been trying to write goals when I play to help me focus on what I am trying to achieve in game and also remind me of the areas of improvement and this week it has been hand reading to help me put people on hands and ranges but also think about the other factors which help point you in that direction like board, pot size, opponents stack size and the previous history of the game and also what type of opponents we are up against. It has made hands much easier to play when you can range opponents in a certain way.

I have been listening to a podcast called The Chip Race with David Lappin and Dara O'Kearney with is very good and I would recommend this to all the poker buffs.

I also won a Raffle ticket off of Sky for £20 so am going to buy Flopzilla Pro to help me look at hands after games and put more work into hand/range reading.

I also spent last night watching some of the Sunday Major on Sky and the bubble play.
    It really reminded me that it is a game of deception we are playing here and I should not be announcing my hands so much when I play and don't be so face up (note to self).
    It was so much harder to put good players on hands based upon their actions in game which is something I am going to be trying this week. ( With mistakes guaranteed knowing me lol)

I had a small loss this week but feel like I have learned lots and am still enjoying the challenge of playing and also putting fun back into the game. Hope everyone is well. Thanks for reading, Danny

1st March - 7th March
    Games 43
    Staked £119.17
    Cashed £90.38
    Profit/Loss -£20.32
    Current Bankroll £95.98
    8th March - 14th March
    Games 53
    Staked £181
    Cashed £203.13
    Profit/Loss +£22.13
    Bankroll £118.11

Had my most fun week so far on the challenge and I am really making progress based upon the reaction of the players around me . Had some very deep runs for me but made monstrous mistakes in two tournaments when in the money, One I did not go after it hard enough(was way too passive) when I look back the situation needed me to look at my pot odds and the two other stacks involved one went all in I called with 99s and the other stack shoved to iso for 35K (i was getting 2.5/1 and must call) and I folded he had eights vs K7s and I would of held. So big lesson for me there and then as a result of my meekness I went completely the other way when down to the last 15 in another tourny and was super aggro when it was not necessary. So I need to strike a balance but it certainly is fun trying and the challenge of bettering myself is a constant and thought provoking exercise. I really am trying to do things so differently than before and take myself out of the comfort zone and you have to be quite harsh and critical of yourself in order to make gains in the right direction.

I have been writing on the forum allot and a guy really helping me to understand and talk about the game and give up his time and knowledge is CraigCu12 so a big shout out to him. He also streams on Twitch and is a very good watch so please give him a look if you have time. He is playing now so I have to go and give my support he's about to FT a 6K Bounty Hunter, so good luck fella hope you take it down.

Definitely having an uptick in my game so more hard work in store. Also working on my fitness and doing more exercise as Football starts on the 4th April and I have to get in shape what with all this lockdown inactivity to get ready to Referee again.

Listened to the Tournament Poker Edge podcast this week with Clayton Fletcher. Very good podcast if you are interested. Another downloaded also this week is the Thinking Poker Podcast with Andrew Brokos and Nate Mayvis. Always worthwhile too hear people who take the game allot more seriously, and to get their insight and their thoughts and how they improve.

Really buzzing about the game at the minute and can't wait to play most of the time.

Always happy to talk about the game as well if anyone has any questions.

Take care people and lockdown ends soon. Something to look forward to.

NORMAL HAS NEVER BEEN SO EXCITING AND YOU BETTER BE READY PEOPLE.

Speak soon and thanks for reading. Danny
  • benhur7200benhur7200 Member Posts: 77
    Hi there, ive played on the same table as you many times this year and i can see a change in your play and for the better it seams. hope you do well with your goals. i tend to find my environment makes a huge difference to my game, i like to watch a programme i enjoy at the same time im playing as it raises my mood. also i now use a large screen ( 32" or bigger) to play, also helps me if playing two tables or more. just two things i now do and use and both have helped me enjoy the game even more.
    all the best with your future games
    Ben Hur thanks for the kind words. We often play together and you are certainly a tough nut to crack. Are you ever planning on moving up or you happy to do your thing at the stakes you play? I see you on the felt Ben cheers mate.
    15th March - 21st March
    Games 78
    Staked £217.78
    Cashed £203.13
    Profit/Loss -£25.46
    Bankroll £92.65

Had a losing week, and been quite frustrated. Some things are working well but I still keep making some silly mistakes. Have been playing allot more bounty hunters and played more £5 DYM's so I know that I am still making progress as the fields are either bigger with bounties or tougher with £5DYM's. I have been multi-tabling again which also adds to the complexity of it all but just want to get used to that as volume is key but only 2 tables at the minute. I just want to cut the mistakes out this week so that is going to be my focus.

Had a comment from someone who I play regularly and he says that he sees I am trying to do something different so that is good.
    Good luck people and see you next week.
    Regards
    Danny
    22nd March - 28th March
    Games 57
    Staked £188.65
    Cashed £147
    Profit/Loss -£41.65
    Bankroll £51
    Had a very bad week this week and it feels like part of my poker is broken, One thing I have noticed is I keep making the wrong decision because I am not thinking of the situation I am in as I play different tournament types at the same time like DYM and Bounty Hunters. The positive is I am learning as I go which is something it is just an expensive lesson but we all know there is allot of losing in poker.
    I am going to cut down the amount of days I play and also only have one game type going at the same time which should help me and also have a new rule of looking at hands before I play so I can get a feel for the equities and strength of hands as a warm up. I am hoping this will help and then look at hands after I play and use the new software I bought. I wont be playing as many Bounty Hunters until I get my bankroll back up.
    I listened to a podcast this week on thinking poker with Andrew Brokos which was called why Brian beats Alex at Poker and it was very interesting and definitely worth a listen if you get a chance.
    Lockdown ends this weekend so I hope everyone is well and will enjoy the freedom and hopefully some good weather.
    Good luck at the tables.
    Danny
  • gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    They are maybe both 'hold em' games but you couldn't get two games more different strategy wise than dyms and bounty hunters. If you are trying to learn and improve both at the same time, you are bound to run into problems. Having only one game type open at a time is definitely the way to go and should help you with the multi-tabling too.

I think from playing against you, that maybe you are over thinking the dyms a bit. They are simple games don't overcomplicate them.

Good luck for April. Hope you have a good month.
  • gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    gregkdy82 said:

They are maybe both 'hold em' games but you couldn't get two games more different strategy wise than dyms and bounty hunters. If you are trying to learn and improve both at the same time, you are bound to run into problems. Having only one game type open at a time is definitely the way to go and should help you with the multi-tabling too.

I think from playing against you, that maybe you are over thinking the dyms a bit. They are simple games don't overcomplicate them.

Good luck for April. Hope you have a good month.

100% agree when starting out it's one format at a time,standard dym's are very much abc poker fold fold fold some more then ask MrKendal if you are being over aggresive,
    Thanks for the comments guys. Over complicating has been my thing so I value your comments and have to make it simpler for myself. Message received and understood .
    Danny
    29th March - 4th April
    Staked £183.80
    Cashed £167.21
    Profit/Loss -£16.59
    Bankroll £34.41
    Feel like I have had a good week at the tables even though I have lost. I am trying to be more difficult to play against & am trying to take my focus away from the result that I get but focus more on the decisions I make at the tables. Am not playing as many games now and it has definitely been beneficial and I also have the £20 from sky I won in a raffle so that helps me when I look at my balance but for the sake of the challenge I still have £34.41 in my roll.
    Hope everyone is doing good and see you next week.
    Thanks
    Danny
    Staked £117.25
    Cashed £101.19
    Profit/Loss -£16.06
    Bankroll £18.35
    Had another good week even though I have lost and I am making better decisions and giving the spots at the table allot more though but have not been helped by the cards or result. Feel more motivated to have a good week and aim high even though I am getting very low on funds. Will have to start having smaller buy ins but will still try and play in as much play as possible.
    Lockdown ends today so hopefully things will lift a bit more for the community. Hope you all have a good week.
    Thanks
    Danny