You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

SPT Online - chit-chat, goss, live update of sorts & general chunter thread.

Comments

• dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    Just catching up with the end.
    Thanks @Tikay10 and @TVSpice for the excellent reporting.

WP all.
  • tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,578

Just catching up with the end.
    Thanks @Tikay10 and @TVSpice for the excellent reporting.

WP all.

Plus 1
  • GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,540
    Great write-ups @Tikay10 & @TVSpice . Many thanx for all your efforts. Well done to smashy, a very Nicey win. I have to give a special mention to @PKRPar ,who i tipped to make FT. Not to be this time, but a big score is on its way. 😎
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,483
    200 free seats in a 360 runner tournament that didn't meet the guarantee. Great value to the players, but not the business (IMHO). Perhaps the satellite tree will be tweaked in the future to get more bums on seats.

However, congratulations to all the winners and a big thanks to the 'spice girls' for the updates throughout a long couple of days.
  • NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 846
    Probably wasn't a total disaster for the business. Always hard to predict the way this pandemic goes in terms of people having nights out and stuff and impossible to know the weather in advance, so it can be slightly tricky when you start to get close to the "summer" months...a week earlier and probably it fills up, (the football may have been a factor too). It's always good to have events that get people returning who don't play here all the time and that's a knock-on benefit that is harder to measure. Also people that pop-in to play a bigger buy-in event will often deposit a little more and play some other games or have a bet on the football or something so the business can benefit in other ways. It's always good for Sky Poker to have a focal point like this and to give players something to look forward to and plenty of people will have played more thn usual in the run up as they try to qualify for a seat. Hopefully James is not having too many sleepless nights about the overlay.
  • NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 846
    I meant to say very well done to @TVSpice and to Tikay for the long hours they put in here over the weekend. Personally I got totally bashed up throughout and did three bullets without ever getting to an average stack...I think I spent about two hands with more than my starting stack. It looked like a fun one to get going in and I'll hope to do better in the next one. Well done to everyone who turned a profit.
  • Sky__JamesSky__James Member Posts: 434
    It was a disappointing miss but we came up against 2 English teams in a Champions League final and the nicest weather of the year just out of a recent lockdown so was always going to struggle. It's a chunky miss for Sky Poker but not in the grand scheme of things.
    https://pokerfuse.com/news/poker-room-news/211978-pokerstars-big-blowout-records-biggest-overlay-online-poker/
  • HUGHMANSHUGHMANS Member Posts: 113
    You guys know more about it than me, but my thought is that the daily £48 satellite was nearly always won by players already in the tourny. It was mentioned earlier that one guy qualified 11 times. They see it as an easy £200 scoop and not in the spirit of a satellite???. Now if the sat was prohibited to players already bought in or qualified, wouldnt that have got the numbers up substantially?
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    HUGHMANS said:

You guys know more about it than me, but my thought is that the daily £48 satellite was nearly always won by players already in the tourny. It was mentioned earlier that one guy qualified 11 times. They see it as an easy £200 scoop and not in the spirit of a satellite???. Now if the sat was prohibited to players already bought in or qualified, wouldnt that have got the numbers up substantially?

It isn't that simple.

Without the people who play sats for cash, there are very few people who play these.
    Now it could be that the best regs scare people off. I think that is true for 1 seat satellites, but not for larger seat guarantees.

Having said that, needs to be some middle ground. Just a thought-if Sky ever invest on better technology, of course. It will not work (as happens on other sites) to have "Tournament £s"-most sat regs play a lot on here. What could happen is for the £220 prize to initially awarded as tickets. So if person busts out, then automatically rebuys if has won more than 1 seat. And any tickets only converted to cash after end of buy-in period.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,809
    edited June 2021
    HUGHMANS said:

@HUGHMANS

The problem with that is that it removes so much of the liquidity from the satellites & they would end up as only 2 or even 1 seat guaranteed.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,483
    Tikay10 said:

HUGHMANS said:

@HUGHMANS

The problem with that is that it removes so much of the liquidity from the satellites & they would end up as only 2 or even 1 seat guaranteed.
    But the original sats changed from 5 to 4 seats earlier on anyway.

I haven't got the easy solution to this but it does need looking at. I myself have played 'sats for cash' sometimes, so know there is a fine line.

If the objective is to get bums on seats, surely multi seat winners detract from that philosophy?

There were also quite a few 'away' players which made for some dynamic situations when their bounties came up for folks to grab. Unsure if they were players given free seats who could not make it or folks glued to the TV while watching Chelsea destroy Man City in that final.
  • Sky__JamesSky__James Member Posts: 434
    There isn't a better way to do it at present with the current software and we need the regs for liquidity.

The only reason we can do it for satellites to live SPTs is because tickets can be manually managed at the event and we keep a record of any spares. Even then I have to manually sort out the qualifier lobbies each day.

People tend to opt in to promos whether they can make it or not. £100k is a massive guarantee for us and we wouldn't be able to try without a promo giving away 200 seats.
  • gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Pleasing to

There isn't a better way to do it at present with the current software and we need the regs for liquidity.

The only reason we can do it for satellites to live SPTs is because tickets can be manually managed at the event and we keep a record of any spares. Even then I have to manually sort out the qualifier lobbies each day.

People tend to opt in to promos whether they can make it or not. £100k is a massive guarantee for us and we wouldn't be able to try without a promo giving away 200 seats.

Funny how you have plenty to say here but have ignored the countless other threads which have more than merited a response for months. Stop being so **** gormless and keep your customers informed regarding the countless issues people have been having.

Glad to see your tournament was an utter failure and you've had to resort to running a proper promo this month. Haha.
  • tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,578
    I have to agree that there should be some middle ground somewhere.

Having played quite a few satellites to the event I guess that I would normally have expected to have won a seat as I have done in other tournaments.

However, I do think that a lot of players who already had seats, gifted or not, made many of the satellites more like Bingo than poker. Tried to take advantage of this on a number of occasions but hey ho not to be.

Considered buying straight in but decided that if my aces were being cracked by 7-2 off suite in the satellites I had little chance in the main event.

Regretted missing it afterwards but enjoyed the commentaries and watching the tables during the event. I was going to watch a film but ended up watching the fast and furious tables instead. Very enjoyable (perhaps I don’t get out enough).

Probably won’t bother with the satellites next time if the stay the same and will buy straight in.
  • cpfc_2010cpfc_2010 Member Posts: 316
    gregkdy82 said:

Pleasing to

Funny how you have plenty to say here but have ignored the countless other threads which have more than merited a response for months. Stop being so **** gormless and keep your customers informed regarding the countless issues people have been having.

Glad to see your tournament was an utter failure and you've had to resort to running a proper promo this month. Haha.
    This has got to be one of the nastiest, most pointless posts I've read on here and that is saying something.

Do everyone a favour and stop sharing a piece of your mind, you can't afford it.
  • TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,240
    @Tikay10

I was looking back at the lead changes etc. At the start of day 2, @smash57 had 57k, no bounties and was in 65th of the remaining 70 players. That is a lesson in patience, clearly some great play (and undoubtedly some luck at the right time) to go on from that position to take down the tournament with a prize of £14291.50 along with £2448.55 in bounties!

I would love to hear from him as to his thoughts at the start of day 2.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,809
    TVSpice said:

@Tikay10

I was looking back at the lead changes etc. At the start of day 2, @smash57 had 57k, no bounties and was in 65th of the remaining 70 players. That is a lesson in patience, clearly some great play (and undoubtedly some luck at the right time) to go on from that position to take down the tournament with a prize of £14291.50 along with £2448.55 in bounties!

@TVSpice

Yes, sometimes you just have to hang in & hope the cards come & that when they do, they hold.

I watched him from the last few tables out & I'm maybe no judge of the game these days but he impressed me immensely. I so wish misterpj had watched, it was a beautiful exhibition of how to play the game, & when he did get it wrong he made no excuses. Sure, he seemed to run well, but he definitely played as well as anyone that I watched.

He did chat occasionally (warmly) but he was asked a few questions & he pointedly swerved them (as is his right) so I'm not hopeful he'll come on here & comment.

Interesting that his first game on Sky Poker was on Saturday, when he played 2 (including the SPT) & 1 further game on Sunday - & that's it.

Whilst you are here, thank you again for all your help over the weekend, it really was appreciated by so many of the readers, many of whom have since commented along the same lines.
  • TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,240
    Tikay10 said:

TVSpice said:

@Tikay10

@TVSpice

Yes, sometimes you just have to hang in & hope the cards come & that when they do, they hold.

I watched him from the last few tables out & I'm maybe no judge of the game these days but he impressed me immensely. I so wish misterpj had watched, it was a beautiful exhibition of how to play the game, & when he did get it wrong he made no excuses. Sure, he seemed to run well, but he definitely played as well as anyone that I watched.

He did chat occasionally (warmly) but he was asked a few questions & he pointedly swerved them (as is his right) so I'm not hopeful he'll come on here & comment.

Interesting that his first game on Sky Poker was on Saturday, when he played 2 (including the SPT) & 1 further game on Sunday - & that's it.

Whilst you are here, thank you again for all your help over the weekend, it really was appreciated by so many of the readers, many of whom have since commented along the same lines.
    My pleasure @Tikay10. As I said on Sunday, it takes more than one pair of eyes to keep up with what is going on and whilst I was going to chip in where I could, when I read that @pompeynic was unavailable due to family commitments, I cleared the decks to help more. I would have watched regardless so watching a few more tables along with the tournament lobby was no hardship. If the next one is online, I will try to make myself available to help if needed. If it is live, I, along with the 'other half' will try to get down to watch.
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,471
    edited June 2021
    gregkdy82 said:

Pleasing to

There are ways in which to go about getting points across
    You seem to pick the nut worst way every time

• miniman88miniman88 Member Posts: 134
    Any plans for a live SPT very soon? Feels like there’ll be a mini live poker boom in the next few months, so could be a perfect time to do it.