You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Land of 4 Cards, PLEASE READ and comment.

coo1-umcoo1-um Member Posts: 2,924
In my Opinion....

As promotions go, overall Sky Poker seem to have gotten the strategy almost right. Most are aimed at the higher end players that make the most rake which make perfect sense with regards to profit margins. Some are loss leaders to facilitate other promotions such as the giveaways into the 50k online SPT.
Of course they don't always get it right, after all you can please everybody all of the time.

There is however an area of the Sky Poker landscape that appears to have been long since forgotten, "The land of 4 cards". Here are a group of people living for the day, twice the cards, twice the gamble and most definitely twice the fun.

They don't ask for much bar perhaps some recognition of their own existence, a little help opening the borders by means of some sort of promotion would be greatly appreciated, after all it is only a tab away from "No Limit Hold 'Em"

From time to time the powers that be squeeze in one or two week promotions surely sometime this has the land in the Land of 4 Cards, a week of rake free games, a week tournament leaderboard even if this just includes the £5.50 PLO and PLO8 games, anything to help bring the No limit tourists over for a visit, some visitors will no doubt stay around a while.

I am not sure how many Views, agrees or disagrees, likes or spam reviews it takes to get noticed by those wearing the suits at the very highest level but, in this time of equality its good to consider all players no matter how may cards they hold.

Question to all and all feedback is good, positive or negative.
Would you be tempted to try out the 4 card variants on offer if such a promotion was offered?

Comments

• Options
    poppy765poppy765 Member Posts: 1,503
    I don't play much Omaha, but if there was a promo- I'd give it a try!
  • Options
    HUGHMANSHUGHMANS Member Posts: 119
    It takes a bit of getting used to but PLO is a great game and full of action. I would like to see more tourneys worth playing i.e. £000 gtees. The UKOPS always has 1 and it seems to cover itself quite easily. Promos would help indeed.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
    It would probably need to be a combined PLO/PLO8 thing.

A promo once a year to try and build a bigger base of players, including perhaps an £11 or £22 with a low guarantee would be good.

I would be in
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    I honestly feel that the PLO8 'community' is looked after on here. Not a criticism, just an observation.

However, for those of us who like and play PLO, there is very little action on this site (apart from the cash tables) . I actual play (badly) PLO on other sites for this reason.

I would support any forum comp if there was a separation between the two formats.
  • Options
    FORDAKIDZFORDAKIDZ Member Posts: 176
    Love to play PLO, i am in.
  • Options
    Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 770
    edited November 2021
    Completely agree with @Essexphil that any promotion would need to combine both PLO and PLO8 - I think either of them as standalones wouldn't be worthwhile to do a promotion for and wouldn't generate enough interest.

I learnt to play PLO and PLO8 a few months back. I'm bad at them both, but really enjoy playing these games on Sky, particularly PLO8 with the weekly league that you run. I don't see any harm in having a promotional week/month specifically for PLO and PLO8 games - throw in some decent guarantee freerolls that anyone can play and learn the game, some bigger tourneys for regs and a leaderboard with prizes. Probably wouldn't appeal to everyone, but then again no promo appeals to everyone. I know @Tikay10 loves the 4 card game so perhaps he might be able to push for something like this in the future.

I'd certainly take part in any PLO/PLO8 promotion, but don't know how feasible it would be on Sky.
  • Options
    MAXALLY said:

I honestly feel that the PLO8 'community' is looked after on here. Not a criticism, just an observation.

However, for those of us who like and play PLO, there is very little action on this site (apart from the cash tables) . I actual play (badly) PLO on other sites for this reason.

I would support any forum comp if there was a separation between the two formats.

I agree the PLO8 community is looked after on here. Thanks to @Tikay10 facilitating a 4 week league. I am unsure of the connection between the forum and the site wide promotions, which could go a way to improving the number of entrants in both PLO8 and PLO.
    Its definitely a niche market but it does not have to be like that, given a gentle shove in the right direction a lot of players would get greater enjoyment out of the games.
    so niche that if you take away players that have played 10 or fewer games this year, over 9% are currently signed up to the league.
  • Options
    eon1961eon1961 Member Posts: 1,795
    All formats are represented in streak week promotions.
    On a purely selfish note I would love PLO8 to be promoted more but alas I fear that it is suffering death by a thousand cuts. The traffic 2-3 years ago was very good, mainly in part to the participation of Mr Kendall & since his departure from the tables traffic has almost stopped on the DYM tables.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,594

@eon1961

You boys smelt the value when I was playing.....
  • Options
    eon1961 said:

All formats are represented in streak week promotions.
    On a purely selfish note I would love PLO8 to be promoted more but alas I fear that it is suffering death by a thousand cuts. The traffic 2-3 years ago was very good, mainly in part to the participation of Mr Kendall & since his departure from the tables traffic has almost stopped on the DYM tables.

Point taken regarding the streak week promo, although PLO and PLO8 are still almost hidden from all but those who know the games are there, and do not receive and individual site wide recognition.
  • Options
    warticwartic Member Posts: 403
    edited November 2021
    I would be interested. Its a given that the big promos are aimed at the big stakes players but on the other hand all sites promote safer gambling within a players limits and that is in the sites interest and the core customer interest. I do like the PLO8 midweek promo so is there a demand for PLO, No limit and Pot limit comps at the same stakes? Should it be over M-F on a week rather than a month? Will say I have no desire to be playing late for my stakes (wee stakes) after workers bed time or even this old bassas bed time
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,594

@wartic

Its a given that the big promos are aimed at the big stakes players

I'd say it's more a case of "high volume" than high stakes. They aim Promos at the formats that get most traffic, rather than big players, or at least, for the most part.

For all many of us enjoy 4 card poker, the fact is it is a very very small part of the overall "pie", & that's been the case as long as I can recall. Folks just prefer bish bash bosh NLH.

Aiming a promo at a small % of the player-base makes no commercial sense, sadly.

I'm all in favour of it, I really am, but them's the facts.

Having said that, I applaud Mr Coo1's initiative & I hope it gets traction.
  • Options
    AKAscottyAKAscotty Member Posts: 81
    i've always felt there is a place for a £20, 1k guarantee on a Sunday for PLO OR 08, Surely it would get 50 runners once a week
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    Best time to be alive if you’re a minority who wants to be represented :)

Personally not too fussed about promotions, but trying a couple of slightly bigger (non-BH) games even if only once a week might be nice.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    AKAscotty said:

i've always felt there is a place for a £20, 1k guarantee on a Sunday for PLO OR 08, Surely it would get 50 runners once a week

Personally, I think you have a better chance at getting 100 runners at £11 than 50 at £22. Happy to have others debunk that theory. Love the idea of once a week tournament to give it a try. You could go alternate weeks PLO / PLO8 . I would also prefer non BH, but that probably goes against the grain. Having said all this, even with my love for the game , I have not played much poker at all recently, I have lost the enjoyment of playing online.
  • Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    pompeynic said:

AKAscotty said:

Personally, I think you have a better chance at getting 100 runners at £11 than 50 at £22. Happy to have others debunk that theory. Love the idea of once a week tournament to give it a try. You could go alternate weeks PLO / PLO8 . I would also prefer non BH, but that probably goes against the grain. Having said all this, even with my love for the game , I have not played much poker at all recently, I have lost the enjoyment of playing online.
    To be fair to Sky higher buyins have been tried before there was a nightly £11 PLO8 which failed lucky if it got 20-30 runners. There was also a Sunday night £33 PLO8 which only lasted about 6 weeks.

@coo1-um's idea is the only way your going to get bigger buyins. Promo to get more people playing or change the rewards freeroll (no cost to Sky). Force them to play it :D then hopefully they might stick around when they realise it's much more fun to play.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    With the benefit of hindsight, think about what an opportunity was missed by not having a once a week slot on Sky Poker TV. Dedicated to the four card game, would have been perfect to introduce to new players, explaining and showing how hands were played out.
  • Options
    lfccarllfccarl Member Posts: 1,489
    safc71 said:

pompeynic said:

AKAscotty said:

To be fair to Sky higher buyins have been tried before there was a nightly £11 PLO8 which failed lucky if it got 20-30 runners. There was also a Sunday night £33 PLO8 which only lasted about 6 weeks.

@coo1-um's idea is the only way your going to get bigger buyins. Promo to get more people playing or change the rewards freeroll (no cost to Sky). Force them to play it :D then hopefully they might stick around when they realise it's much more fun to play.
    i been asking for a freeroll for years we need more tournaments