You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Ashes

2»

Comments

• Options
    spartathenspartathen Member Posts: 936
    There is a increasing amount of pressure on root, in the media both in oz online and back in Blighty. However not exclusively to blame as the whole selection process seems I’ll judged.
    You cant help out of form players or lack of experience of this type of contest, but you can put yourselves in a better position by selecting the right player in the right position.
    The openers clearly not up to it, the stroke player being asked to see off the best oz bowlers and build a score. And if they don’t then that impacts the captain to produce.The conundrum that is Ben stokes wether he has played enough cricket and is mentally fit. But for me the inclusion of butler who has not the concentration of test match cricket as wicket keeper when Barstow is included as well is nuts.
    Jos is a fine one dayer but Bairstow is a better keeper and batter at test level, why include him as an outfielder when all he can provide in the field is his fielding,he doesn’t bowl but is a fine fielder.
    Silver wood is as much to blame as the captain in a match they had to win and to make such I’ll judged selections throughout a poor approach to a tour is evident in the inevitable outcome.
    There is a bigger debate around the future of the ashes and test cricket which I’m not going to engage in today.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,194

There is a increasing amount of pressure on root, in the media both in oz online and back in Blighty. However not exclusively to blame as the whole selection process seems I’ll judged.
    You cant help out of form players or lack of experience of this type of contest, but you can put yourselves in a better position by selecting the right player in the right position.
    The openers clearly not up to it, the stroke player being asked to see off the best oz bowlers and build a score. And if they don’t then that impacts the captain to produce.The conundrum that is Ben stokes wether he has played enough cricket and is mentally fit. But for me the inclusion of butler who has not the concentration of test match cricket as wicket keeper when Barstow is included as well is nuts.
    Jos is a fine one dayer but Bairstow is a better keeper and batter at test level, why include him as an outfielder when all he can provide in the field is his fielding,he doesn’t bowl but is a fine fielder.
    Silver wood is as much to blame as the captain in a match they had to win and to make such I’ll judged selections throughout a poor approach to a tour is evident in the inevitable outcome.
    There is a bigger debate around the future of the ashes and test cricket which I’m not going to engage in today.

@spartathen

Good post, & I particularly agree as to Silverwood.
  • Options
    gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    Silverwood was a bog standard county bowler with a few test's in the 90s(when we were a very poor side)his bowling coach Jon Lewis had played 1 test so he's going to really coach Broad and Anderson btw if anyone thinks they need coaching get yourself booked in at the priory asap.

You don't need to be a world class player to be a top coach but it does help,Silverwood has no idea what he's doing.Root's as a captain is very poor but who is going to take over when this shambles of a tour is over ffs don't give it to Stokes,England have a cunning knack of giving the test captaincy to the all rounder when it's going wrong(Flintoff and Botham spring to mind)

We are in dire trouble at present no openers no leadership on field or of and pretty soon when Anderson and Broad decide enough is enough no bowlers apart from Wood Archer and Stones good luck keeping those 3 fit as for a spinner don't ask.
  • Options
    We needed an early night.
  • Options
    zadoczadoc Member Posts: 3,402
    Not sure we could have expected any better, RED BALL cricket has been pushed into the LONG GRASS in England.
  • Options
    spartathenspartathen Member Posts: 936
    zadoc said:

Not sure we could have expected any better, RED BALL cricket has been pushed into the LONG GRASS in England.

That’s where the debate must start however Australia seem very keen still although that dirty trick played by India back in the English summer to pull the plug on a test to avoid missing the Indian t20 domestic competition was a disgrace.
  • Options
    raggy94raggy94 Member Posts: 147
    The concept of a permanent England captain outdated, basically tradition for traditions sake. We'd have a better chance if we just pick the best on field tactician morning of test.
  • Options
    Oh no Silverwood's got to self isolate and misses picking the wrong team for the fourth test,shame it wasn't the first test the series might have still had some meaning.