You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Face Masks The best face coverings were able to filter 99.9% of particles, while the worst only 7%

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,411
edited December 2021 in The Rail
Best reusable face masks and coverings Independent Which? lab tests reveal which face coverings are best for superior filtration, breathability and comfort – plus the poor face coverings to avoid

Our research shows that the type of face covering you buy matters, as they vary significantly in effectiveness. We've tested 27 face coverings from high street and online brands to find the best options if you're in need of a new mask. We've found some brilliant Best Buys that filter particles effectively while still being breathable so they are comfortable to wear. But we also uncovered some poor face coverings that blocked as little as 7% of particles, which we recommend you avoid. As well as core'The best face coverings were able to filter 99.9% of particles, while the worst only managed a paltry 7%' performance on filtration and breathability, we assessed how comfortable and well-fitting the masks are, and how they stand up to repeated use and washing. Find out more about reusable face covering types, features and using tips in our face mask buying guide.

Airpop Pocket Mask, £24.99 for 4 (£6.25 per mask)

Which? score 94%

This hybrid ‘semi-reusable’ mask is made from three layers of spunbound, non-woven polyester and nylon, similar to disposable masks. It has a foam nose bridge and a collapsible design. It's superb at filtering particles – 99.9% before washing, and 94% after five washes. And it’s still light and easy to breathe in. Airpop says it can be worn for 40 hours and up to 10 washes before you need to retire it, so it is a more costly option than a fully reusable mask, but it’s a great choice for higher-risk scenarios such as crowded places or public transport. Pack instructions are minimal, although the Airpop website has comprehensive use and washing information. You can also buy a small case to carry the mask in (£10). The Airpop Pocket comes in white and black, and there is an Airpop kids' mask which is similar but smaller, and comes in white, blue and pink. They're available at Airpop and Amazon. Are they recyclable? We checked with Wilko - which has launched a trial drop-off scheme for recycling disposable masks in some stores - and it told us the Airpop masks could be recycled via this scheme.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/face-masks/article/best-reusable-face-masks-awLeA3A6XoZD - Which?

Find out which masks offer the most protection and why

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52613399

Comments

• Options
    This key test, the industry standard for assessing mask filtration efficiency, determines how effective a face mask is at blocking particles, using bacteria as a proxy. This is the same test used to assess surgical masks for efficiency. Tiny bacterial particles (three micrometres in diameter) are shot through the face covering via an aerosol generator at a flow rate of 28 litres per minute. Filtration efficiency is measured based on the percentage of colony-forming units of bacteria that were able to pass through the face covering. In our tests, we found huge discrepancies in how well face coverings were able to filter bacterial particles. 'The best face coverings were able to filter 99.9% of particles, while the worst only managed a paltry 7%' In order to pass the test, face coverings had to achieve at least 70% filtration efficiency. We repeated the filtration tests after the masks had been through the wash five times, and gave equal weighting to the pre and post-wash filtration score. Interestingly, filtration efficiency improved after five washes for half of the face coverings we tested, likely to be caused by fibres compressing during the wash. The largest improvement was an increase from 7% filtration to 27%, but most only improved marginally. However, bear in mind that over a longer period of time it's possible the fabric will wear and become slightly less effective. So if your mask is starting to look worn out it's time to replace it. Some state a maximum number of washes or wears before you should replace the mask.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/face-masks/article/best-reusable-face-masks-awLeA3A6XoZD - Which?
  • Options
    somniatissomniatis Member Posts: 219
    The masks were tested with "Tiny bacterial particles (three micrometres in diameter)"

3 micrometers = 3000 nanometres

Some common Virus Sizes in nanometres.

Smallpox 250

Tobacco mosaic (seen in plants) 240

Rabies 150

Influenza 100

Bacteriophage 95

Common cold 70

Polio 27

Parvovirus (often seen in domesticated animals) 20

So masks don't protect you from a deadly cold virus. Now go ask yourself why are you still wearing them? hint: Brainwashing.

Happy new year!
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    somniatis said:

So masks don't protect you from a deadly cold virus. Now go ask yourself why are you still wearing them? hint: Brainwashing.

Happy new year!

Ok. And COVID-19 particles are around 0.1 micrometer (100 nanometers) in diameter[1]. But these sizes are not very relevant because the virus is transferred in respiratory emissions of a much larger size between 1 and 500 micrometers[2].

N95 respirators are only rated for their ability to filter emissions down to 0.3 micrometers[3], larger than any virus you listed, and yet they are used successfully throughout the world in settings where airborne viruses are present.

The actual scientific evidence[4][5] strongly suggests cloth face masks are in fact quite effective at blocking these particles and reducing transmission.

So masks do protect you from a deadly virus.

If anyone is being brainwashed, it's the people who believe and repeat this sort of nonsense without any reference to what the scientific community has learned.

[1]: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8
    [2]: Asadi, S., Wexler, A. S., Cappa, C. D., Barreda, S., Bouvier, N. M., & Ristenpart, W. D. (2019). Aerosol emission and superemission during human speech increase with voice loudness. _Scientific reports_, _9_(1), 1-10.
    [3]: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/NIOSH_air_filtration_rating
    [4]: https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n432
    [5]: https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    somniatis said:

The masks were tested with "Tiny bacterial particles (three micrometres in diameter)"

Smallpox 250

Rabies 150

Influenza 100

Bacteriophage 95

Common cold 70

Polio 27

Happy new year!

Oops.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,229
    Brainwashing ma erse, It reduces the spread of the virus that's enough for me, if the self righteous people who cry " conspiracy " at every turn would wear them the hospitals would not be under half as much pressure.
    The thing is you have got all these people who know **** all about viruses becoming experts overnight, the scary thing is that some dafties believe them.
  • Options
    somniatis said:

Smallpox 250

Rabies 150

Influenza 100

Bacteriophage 95

Common cold 70

Polio 27

Happy new year!

BARNEY CALMAN: If we have to wear masks to help stop the spread of Covid, can we at least get ones that work?

BARNEY CALMAN: Some types of mask are vastly superior - namely, FFP2 masks, the ones that look like a beak. But, unfortunately, they're not the kind most people are wearing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-10360857/If-wear-masks-help-stop-spread-Covid-ones-work.html
  • Options
    Secondary school pupils will be told to wear face masks all day when they return this week - as PM says keeping classrooms open is his number one priority in the face of Omicron and testing chaos

Education Secretary Nadhim Zahawi last night said he and Boris Johnson saw schools as their 'No 1 priority', adding that they wanted to 'do everything in our power to minimise disruption'. The wearing of masks is not a legal requirement, but Ministers expect schools to follow the guidance, which also applies to teachers and support staff. The measures will be reviewed on January 26, with a Government source saying they 'will not be in place a minute longer than they need to be', and adding: 'It is obviously a better classroom experience without masks.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10361401/Secondary-school-pupils-told-wear-face-masks-day-return-week.html
  • Options
    Stay calm and carry on using football nets to stop ping-pong balls....

Listen to this you can do it while playing poker. Don't hear it, listen to it.

I wonder how many of you would follow this experiment through to it's fatal conclusion.

The Milgram experiment(s) on obedience to authority figures was a series of social psychology experiments.

Read about it here.

Here is the video in case your hard of reading.

Brainwashing is hard to overcome. I can't cure you, but if you make time and do some critical thinking and do your own research you just might come to a "fair and balanced" view of the situation.

• Options
    somniatis said:

Brainwashing is hard to overcome. I can't cure you, but if you make time and do some critical thinking and do your own research you just might come to a "fair and balanced" view of the situation.

Just to be clear, when you say "critical thinking" and refer to doing your own research, do you mean listening to a Joe Rogan podcast and reading an irrelevant Wikipedia page? Or is there more high quality research that you haven't shared?
  • Options
    @NOSTRI - Watch/listen to the videos and read the wiki page then get back to me with your comments, questions, critique. Then I may take time to further educate you. Until then...
  • Options
    somniatis said:

@NOSTRI - Watch/listen to the videos and read the wiki page then get back to me with your comments, questions, critique. Then I may take time to further educate you. Until then...

I'm familiar with this comments. It's the one where he referred "mass formation psychosis," describing it as a condition where the influence of a large group of people cause a person's beliefs to become decoupled from reality, which can then be exploited by leadership figures.

I found it to be a very insightful observation. It definitely reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it...
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    somniatis said:

Give up on them, they’re too far gone.

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    This topic is interesting for many reasons and one in which I know better than to give a personal opinion on a public forum.

Have been called enough names that have been trotted about which I don't believe resemble close to what I actually believe on this issue. Sure the same goes for others to a degree.

It's an emotive discussion with little agreement taking place. Disagreements and discussions are good for learning in the right environments, approaching it can be tricky.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,077
    edited January 2022
    chilling said:

somniatis said:

On the plus side, that is quite funny.

But perhaps parodying the words of someone who died far too young of a virus due to not taking the then-recommended precautions may not have been the best option...
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,533
    The British Public will decide Dumb Blonde or Whistle Blower.
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    Essexphil said:

chilling said:

somniatis said:

But perhaps parodying the words of someone who died far too young of a virus due to not taking the then-recommended precautions may not have been the best option...
    Exactly,even worse when you know who made the HIV in a lab,and he’s often in the news.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,077
    chilling said:

Essexphil said:

chilling said:

somniatis said:

Exactly,even worse when you know who made the HIV in a lab,and he’s often in the news.
    I haven't read that.

Was it in "Conspiracy Nutjob Weekly"?
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,391