You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

RNG question

TheSawTheSaw Member Posts: 75
No, not any kind of ‘conspiracy theory’ or ‘the deck is rigged’ thread, just a genuine question, asked out of curiosity, that’s intrigued me for a while and come to mind again following a recent hand.

Playing the 8pm main a few days ago. 8 players remaining. I’m in the BB and dealt 2 playable cards. UTG shorty decides its shove time, the tourney chip leader just calls from the button and the SB shorty also goes allin. I’d have called the 2 short stack shoves but I didn’t want to tangle with the chip leader out of position, so I reluctantly got out of the way.
Chip leader had AQ, he didn’t improve, so I believe he would have checked it down to the river, which (had I called pre) would have given me the nuts and a stack on a par with the leader. Absolutely nothing new there I know. Every poker player has 1000’s of those ‘if only’ moments.

But it just got me thinking. In live poker, the flop, turn and river are all pre determined once the deck has been cut. We can say with absolute certainty – “this is what I would have hit”. Is the same true in online poker? – is the run out already fixed after the hole cards have been dealt? - or is the RNG constantly ‘whirring away’ with the remaining cards in the deck until they are dealt in the middle? In other words, if I’d taken a split second longer to find a ‘call’ rather than a ‘fold’, would that in turn have produced a completely different set of community cards and therefore we can never truly beat ourselves up over what might have been?

Comments

• Options
    gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    If you think that your best of giving online up and just playing live.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,530
    Either way, it makes no difference to how you decided to play the hand, and that's all that matters.

If you beat yourself up about a bad runout and blame calling 3 seconds later than you wanted to then that's just a mental aspect of the game you need to work on. It's totally ridiculous to think such a thing, as I'm sure you're aware.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    This was mentioned a few years ago.
    I think the answer was that the "deck" is shuffled just once before the hole cards are dealt.
    The timing of any further cards is irrelevant.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that was the reply.
    Maybe someone else can confirm (or not).
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651
    It's pre determined once the whole cards are dealt there's no shuffle
    My chips would have been in the middle quicker than a fly on $hit :#
  • Options
    TheSawTheSaw Member Posts: 75

This was mentioned a few years ago.
    I think the answer was that the "deck" is shuffled just once before the hole cards are dealt.
    The timing of any further cards is irrelevant.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that was the reply.
    Maybe someone else can confirm (or not).

stokefc said:

It's pre determined once the whole cards are dealt there's no shuffle
    My chips would have been in the middle quicker than a fly on $hit :#

Thanks dragon1964 and stokefc for your sensible replies. That's all I was looking for.
    Unlike the first 2 responders who did not grasp (or chose to ignore?) the sentiment in which the original post was written.