You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

School With No Meat.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,547
Woke headteacher who banned punishments and shouting at children forces pupils to go VEGETARIAN 'to stop climate change': Fury as meat is BANNED from canteen and lunchboxes in 'ludicrous' move at Lancashire primary

Barrowford Primary School (pictured bottom) in Lancashire has banned meat from lunchboxes and its canteen in order to educate children about the environmental impact of eating animals. The rule was introduced last year, but parents were not told until a letter was sent out on Thursday. In the letter, headteacher Rachel Tomlinson (top) said she had made the decision in order to 'stop climate change'. She cited the carbon footprint caused by the livestock industry and that meat and dairy products 'come at a huge environmental cost.' Barrowford Primary School was branded 'inadequate' by Ofsted in 2015 - the office's lowest possible rating, before achieving a 'good' rating just one year later. Tomlinson at the time received widespread criticism for her controversial approach which prevented teachers from raising their voices and removed all punishments for misbehaving students.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10515015/Fury-primary-school-bans-MEAT-lunchboxes-canteen-Parents-blast-ludicrous-rule.html

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,283
    ha ha ffs. Stupid woman doesn't even understand that not eating animals will not prevent climate change anymore than it will solve North Koreas Human Rights abuses.

Cites carbon footprint left by the livestock industry but probably drives a car, washes her clothes, has central heating, travels on holiday and certainly puts dye on her hair.

I'm thinking some lawyers going to have a field day over this. You have no right to dictate what a child can or cannot have in their lunchbox.

One things for certain, Fruitcake is definately on the menu.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,550
    Where or when do you start a Revolution ......
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,550
    Do we need to eat animals why not humans over 50s passed they're sell by date.
  • Options
    Its a shame that we would leave our childrens future in the hands of somebody so thick that could believe they may possibly get away with this.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,112
    This could have been done so much better.

There could have been a "meat free Friday", and the point could have been made without forcing major dietary change on people. As I understand it, it is quite difficult for young children to have the correct diet without meat.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

This could have been done so much better.

There could have been a "meat free Friday", and the point could have been made without forcing major dietary change on people. As I understand it, it is quite difficult for young children to have the correct diet without meat.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, this was always going to be impossible to get away with.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,603
    Is she Dale Vince in a wig?
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,657
    Humans have eaten meat since the dawn of time as do a lot of animals/mammals its in our genetic profile, of course people can chose not to and that's entirely a personal choice
    Meat rules
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    Perhaps she can pursue a different career path?

• Options
    She is unlikely in the future to get a job where she is in charge of anything, not even the paperclips.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231
    The local authorities,council should be havin a word with her.
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    It's alarming how easily you can whip up a mob of intellectually lazy people on an internet forum into a senseless rage by misrepresenting the basic facts of a news story.

A headteacher has removed meat from the school lunch menu and banned parents from bringing meat into school in their lunchboxes? That is certainly alarming!

But the second line from the content of this story says this:

Rule was introduced last year, but parents only found out in letter last week

I stopped reading here because, hold on a moment: how did it take parents so long to realise the school had banned them from putting meat in their children's lunchboxes?

Let's go to the apparent source of this story, The Sun, and see if that offers any clarity. I spotted this in the second sentence of The Sun's story:

Students at Barrowford Primary School near Nelson, Lancashire, are only offered vegetarian dinners - and kids are also urged not to bring meat in their packed lunches.

So they are only "urging" parents not to let their children bring meat on the premises? This already seems a lot different to the DM's headline claim that it has been "banned" from lunchboxes.

Let's read on.

[The letter to parents] concluded: "If you still want to send packed lunches, could you please consider meat-free options to further support us in doing our bit to reduce carbon emissions as a school community?"

Oh these twists and turns. Even The Sun--that bastion of journalistic integrity!-- is trying to mislead me. Rather than banning meat in lunchboxes, or even urging against it, it seems the headteacher has merely asked parents to consider meat alternatives.

That is outrageous! That is a frankly reasonable request that a parent can just ignore if they don't wish to comply. How am I supposed to get angry enough about this to mindlessly share this to all of my Facebook and Twitter friends and in return give the Daily Mail a nice boost in ad revenue???

To reiterate, I got to line number two of this news article before it became clear the headline was deliberately misleading. I was then forced to read a further two sentences of the source article to get to the bottom of it.

It was quite easy took no time at all.

And I didn't make myself sound like a div on a public forum for being effortlessly lead down the garden path by it.

I certainly didn't put myself through the indignity of taking a deliberately misleading headline at face value, failing to bother reading the content of the story it topped, and then calling her stupid based on my incorrect understanding of a situation I don't understand and haven't bothered trying to understand.

Phew, that was close!

As a bonus, I can still be upset that they removed meat from the school menu if I want to, without making myself seem like a moron for believing the parts of the story which are easily-disproven lies!
  • Options
    loosecamelloosecamel Member Posts: 152
    Good on her!
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    Thanks for the clarification @NOSTRI .
    I hadn't read it as I really don't like giving those two publications the "clicks".
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    NOSTRI said:

It's alarming how easily you can whip up a mob of intellectually lazy people on an internet forum into a senseless rage by misrepresenting the basic facts of a news story.

A headteacher has removed meat from the school lunch menu and banned parents from bringing meat into school in their lunchboxes? That is certainly alarming!

I stopped reading here because, hold on a moment: how did it take parents so long to realise the school had banned them from putting meat in their children's lunchboxes?

Let's go to the apparent source of this story, The Sun, and see if that offers any clarity. I spotted this in the second sentence of The Sun's story:

Students at Barrowford Primary School near Nelson, Lancashire, are only offered vegetarian dinners - and kids are also urged not to bring meat in their packed lunches.

So they are only "urging" parents not to let their children bring meat on the premises? This already seems a lot different to the DM's headline claim that it has been "banned" from lunchboxes.

Let's read on.

[The letter to parents] concluded: "If you still want to send packed lunches, could you please consider meat-free options to further support us in doing our bit to reduce carbon emissions as a school community?"

Oh these twists and turns. Even The Sun--that bastion of journalistic integrity!-- is trying to mislead me. Rather than banning meat in lunchboxes, or even urging against it, it seems the headteacher has merely asked parents to consider meat alternatives.

That is outrageous! That is a frankly reasonable request that a parent can just ignore if they don't wish to comply. How am I supposed to get angry enough about this to mindlessly share this to all of my Facebook and Twitter friends and in return give the Daily Mail a nice boost in ad revenue???

To reiterate, I got to line number two of this news article before it became clear the headline was deliberately misleading. I was then forced to read a further two sentences of the source article to get to the bottom of it.

And I didn't make myself sound like a div on a public forum for being effortlessly lead down the garden path by it.

I certainly didn't put myself through the indignity of taking a deliberately misleading headline at face value, failing to bother reading the content of the story it topped, and then calling her stupid based on my incorrect understanding of a situation I don't understand and haven't bothered trying to understand.

Phew, that was close!

As a bonus, I can still be upset that they removed meat from the school menu if I want to, without making myself seem like a moron for believing the parts of the story which are easily-disproven lies!

I would be extremely surprised if she has not exceeded her authority.

Tomlinson said: 'We made our school lunches meat-free to demonstrate how each of us making a small change to our daily habits can have a much wider positive impact, and that reducing meat consumption is just one way to do this. We have been careful to approach this in a balanced way, and teach that it is fine to eat meat, but that reducing our consumption can help our planet'
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    NOSTRI said:

Let's read on.

Phew, that was close!

Headteacher who banned punishments and shouting takes meat off school menu

A school’s decision to permanently stop serving pupils meat ‘to help the planet’ has caused a stir among parents.

Pupils at Barrowford Primary School are now only offered vegetarian lunches at the canteen and are encouraged to bring in veggie packed lunches too.

The new rule was brought in last year in a bid to highlight the carbon footprint of the meat and dairy industries.

But parents are upset that a letter informing the of the change was only sent to them on Thursday.

While headteacher Rachel Tomlinson claims the Lancashire school has received no complaints, plenty of mums and dads have shown their anger on social media.

The letter sent to parents concluded: ‘If you still want to send packed lunches, could you please consider meat-free options to further support us in doing our bit to reduce carbon emissions as a school community?’

Children were never to be considered naughty and were encouraged to resolve disputes between each other themselves, using phrases such as ‘you have emptied my resilience bucket’.

Parents then called for Mrs Tomlinson to resign and blamed her for the school dropping from a ‘good’ Ofsted rating in 2012 to ‘inadequate’ three years later.

One said: ‘You can’t experiment with childrens’ futures, fail spectacularly and then keep your job. She should go.’

Another, with two boys at the school said: ‘I teach my both my sons right from wrong when they are at home and I feel my hard work is being undone by the school.’

‘If a pupil misbehaves, they are sent to a chill-out room where they play on iPads and Xboxes. That is just encouraging them to be naughty.’

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/16/lancashire-barrowford-primary-school-headteacher-bans-meat-from-menu-16114890/
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,657
    Haysie stop being a div/moron
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,556
    stokefc said:

Good luck with that....i only came on here cos @NOSTRI posted..
    Easy answer..just iggy @HAYSIE & especially The Daily Mail.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

?