You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Conquer Challenge Great Wall ( Long ) 3513.1km CHALLENGE PAUSED AFTER CALL FROM DOCTORS

Comments

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,505
    So please feel free to encourage, cajole, rail or even pelt me with virtual rotten fruit

Well done..... we can't waste food on this project however deserving. cough!
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,184
    Hi all,

Just got back from a longer ride than usual 3hrs in fact giving a distance of 67 Km and a running total of 333Km.

Think the next postcard is about 38Km away so hopefully I can get that tomorrow night assuming my legs are still working. Right now they're not on speaking terms with the rest of my body, still a nice soak should do the trick.

Stay safe, love to all.

Mark
  • Options
    rbh112rbh112 Member Posts: 384
    edited February 2022

Hi all,

Just got back from a longer ride than usual 3hrs in fact giving a distance of 67 Km and a running total of 333Km.

Think the next postcard is about 38Km away so hopefully I can get that tomorrow night assuming my legs are still working. Right now they're not on speaking terms with the rest of my body, still a nice soak should do the trick.

rbh112 here

i'm rooting for you mate and u will get there i have no doubt. Best of luck go do this. i knackered just reading what u have already done. best wishes. i'm so lazy i get knackered waiting somebody else run for the bus. so fair play.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Hi all,

Another postcard for your enjoyment as the challenge now stands at over 10% completion following another 46Km courtesy of back to back spinning sessions.

I may take Tuesday as a rest day depending on how everything feels when I wake up or I may opt just to do a very short ride so i at least bank something.

According to the info the next postcard is about 62Km away so it may be a couple of days until I earn that one.

The original Huangyaguan Wall was a combination of a 6th century stone foundation and 16th century brick battlements. It stretched for approximately 26mi (42km), although other sources cite 34mi (54km), and had 66 towers and a fortress.

As the only Wall located in Tianjin, a major port city southeast of Beijing, it held a very strategic position. Enemies wanting to invade Tianjin had to go through the Huangyaguan Pass. Numerous battles occurred here that destroyed the wall.

In the 1980s, a 1.8mi (3km) stretch of the Huangyaguan Wall and the nearby Taipingzhai Wall were fully renovated, making it one of the longest restored sections of the Great Wall. It consists of a military fortress, a gatehouse and 20 watchtowers.

The Huangyaguan fortress is nestled in a valley between Banlagang Mountain to the east and Wangmaoding Mountain to the west. It is connected to Taipingzhai Wall to the east by a bridge. During wartime the five arches beneath the bridge were closed, blocking access via the river. On the bridge’s battlements, soldiers would set up cannons to fire at enemies approaching on the river.

Taipingzhai Wall is just over half a mile long and built on the mountain ridge. It begins at the bridge and ends at Banlagang Mountain where the steep, rocky terrain takes over as a natural barrier. Part way along the wall is a barbican used as an alternative entrance and near it is a 28ft (8.5m) tall statue of Qi Jiguang. The statue was built by the local people who wanted to honour the general’s contribution to defending the borders against the northern enemies.

At the western end of Taipingzhai Wall is a square stone tower known as Widow Tower. Measuring 43ft (13m) high, the two-storey building was donated by 12 women whose husbands died building the Great Wall.

Huangyaguan and Taipingzhai are perhaps a little too perfectly restored. The essence of the Wall’s history, the ability to touch and feel its original stones or bricks are lost here. What remains though are those insane 85-degree angle stairs and the steep climbs.

Til the next time stay safe and love to all.

Mark.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Should have taken a day off instead of completing a very achy hour which saw a desperate 22Km added.

The only upsides were that this now puts me at 401Km or 250 miles in old money and my new gel saddle cover works.

This is the real grind now. The excitement of the new challenge has faded somewhat and the realisation of the monotony of the next 3,000 Km or 90 days hits home.

Breaking it down into manageable chunks will help but I know there's going to be days when it can all just do one.

Ok, talking of manageable chunks I see the next postcard is 40Km away so that's the target for today, will hit the gym tonight after the Stoke game and hopefully bag that postcard.

Stay safe, love to all.

Mark
  • Options
    You gonna cheat or crash & burn..... Why..... You don't just get out of Bed and run a Marathon ..... you start by going round the block then increase slowly over the months till you can do half that every week ..... then tackle the big one. What happened to climbing Everest........ ( this is a motivational post ) cough!
  • Options
    The Everest base camp trek was put on hold on the advice of my cardiologist, whilst the "Everest Anywhere" challenge was postponed due to 24 and a half stone of weight going through my knees and ankles.

Both are still very much on the to do list. However, it's very much a case of listening as much to the doctors now as listening to my body. At 58 I'm slowly trying to reverse much of the 30+ years of hedonism.

This is why this challenge is almost perfect for me. It's pretty much non weight bearing, it's continual cardio based, it's habit forming, the target finish is adjustable both ways, it's enviromentally helpful planting a tree for every 20% I complete, it's providing base level training for a 24hr charity ride later in the year and when it's complete I will be fitter, stronger, lighter, faster and more healthy.

That doesn't mean there's not going to be days or sessions when I don't want to kick Kurt Zouma but no cheating, can't anyway as I photo and time stamp all distances submitted, and certainly no crash and burn.

Puke and chafe, maybe, ache and pain, definately, self pity, absolutely.

Thanks for the motivation.
  • Options
    Can we have some sympathy for the Bike please.....

You can put Superman's clothes on, but don't jump of the Building and expect to fly.

If I can make you angry enough the extra adrenalin will turn you into Adrenalin Junkie of the week and just maybe you will fly. Good Luck....( another motivational post ) for sore bum.! cough!
  • Options
    Another 31.8 Km yesterday and whilst I wouldn't normally log distances with a part Km the last 3.8 were done as a walk/jog on a treadmill and as I abhor running its staying in.

Lost another 2lbs to take the weight loss to !st 2lb which is fine 2lb a week would be a great rate.

So current distance 432.8Km.

Speak tomorrow, stay safe, love to all.

Mark
  • Options
    So another 47Km last night has resulted in 2 more postcards from my progress along the wall.

Current distance is now 479.8Km

Gubeikou Wall is a dilapidated and unrestored part of the Great Wall. There are no parapets, no battlements and no paved paths. The wild vegetation envelopes the walls into the landscape and the towers are either in ruins or completely destroyed.

The first wall was built in the 6th century and lengthened 800 years later. Under General Qi Jiguang’s supervision the Wall was further renovated and enhanced adding more towers and passes. A second layer of bricks was added beside the first making this section uniquely double-layered.

As a key pass between China and Mongolia, Gubeikou’s Wall stretched for 25mi (40km) and it consisted of a staggering 186 towers, spaced at 650ft (200m) intervals. The defence system also included 19 passes, 6 fortresses and 3 barbicans.

Being the gateway to the capital, more than 130 battles were fought here during the dynastic periods. In the early 20th century, Gubeikou was once again embroiled in a fierce battle, except this time it was with the Japanese. In 1933, the Japanese attacked the Great Wall as part of their territorial expansion. Whilst territories and passes along the wall were being defeated, at Gubeikou Wall the Chinese were able to hold their position for several days by using the ramparts to move the soldiers along the Wall, just like their predecessors did centuries before.

Gubeikou Wall is made up of two sections, Wohushan to the west and Panlongshan to the east. Between the two sections, in a valley, is a lake and Gubeikou town beside it. At the edge of Wohushan, next to each other, are two well-preserved towers, named ‘Sister Towers’. Some say it reminds them of two sisters holding hands when viewed from a distance.

Past the village to the east is the entry to Panlongshan and its two watchtowers. The first one, General Tower, is a square shaped, two-storey building that was used as the commanding office. Now roofless, it has been exposed to the elements. The second one is the 24-window Tower, the last watchtower on this section. Three storeys high, the first two levels used to have three windows per side adding up to 24, hence the name, but two sides of the building have now collapsed leaving the other two heavily supported by steel poles.

Whilst the Wall continues on beyond 24-window Tower, it becomes a military zone and so inaccessible to travellers.

Simatai Wall is the first of several closely located Great Wall sections north of Beijing. It has been partially restored but only as far as carrying out essential reinforcement work, preserving the original appearance and as such keeping the historic atmosphere. The Wall is divided by Simatai Reservoir and the two sides are connected by a suspension bridge about 530ft (150m) long. The west section used to lead to Jinshanling Wall but is no longer open due to its ruinous and dangerous state.

The restored section on the east side is accessed from the foot of the mountain, adjacent to the reservoir. The hike on the Wall is rugged and steep. There are 16 towers in all but only 10 of them are open to tourists. Although it seems to be more of a guideline than a rule, since some daredevils have conquered it. Let me illustrate the hike.

The trail begins at Tower 1 near the suspension bridge. Proceeding east, the trail passes through towers, up steep stairs and then back down. Between Towers 4 and 5 the wall is only on one side of the path with a chain safety-barrier on the other.

There is a fantastic view of west Simatai winding its way up the mountain from Tower 7 and a cable car terminal at Tower 8. The path flattens out a bit up to Tower 10.

The next two towers are not part of the restored section nor forbidden to hike but access is off the path, through brush and over some boulders. The official trail ends with a great big pink sign warning that a fine will be imposed if going beyond. But what does beyond look like?

From Tower 12 there is no more path. A few perpendicular walls lead to Towers 13 and 14 and after that there is just a single wall about 20in (50cm) wide, on an 80-degree gradient with plunging cliffs on one side and steep mountain on the other. The wall ends suddenly, leaving a gap between the wall and Tower 15. The only way around is by climbing off the wall onto a beaten path and circling around the tower to the other side.

Back on the wall, this part is known as Sky Bridge. Narrow and tiered, it is no more than 30ft (100m) long but a mere 16in (40cm) wide. Climbing the tiers, each one leads further up the mountain, until it opens up to a wide but ruined path. Good place to rest before the final arduous climb to Tower 16.

Wangjing Tower (#16) sits on the summit of Simatai Wall at an elevation of 3,200ft (980m). Anyone courageous enough to tackle the climb is afforded spectacular views of valleys, mountain ranges and miles of winding Great Wall.

See you soon folks, stay safe, love to all

Mark.

• Options
    No updates until Monday as I came down with a heavy cold on Friday so am using the weekend to get dosed up and ready to recommence, hopefully in about another 48 hours.

It's not ideal but better this than trying to push through and then needing more time to recover later by making things worse.

Pass the Hot Lemon.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    Wimp
  • Options
  • Options
    No definately not crashed and burned it's merely some in flight turbulence, believe me I'm bringing this in for a textbook landing.
  • Options
    When you bite off more than you can chew you put on weight and can't get off the ground like Mr Ostrich..........another motivational post from the comfort of my armchair.
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

Back in the saddle, literally as Monday night saw 40 Km added total now stands at 519.8 Km with the first tree plant happening at 702 Km.

Felt really strong and did the whole thing a one level higher resistance than usual. Quads are a little achy but nothing a few hours rest won't see right.

Hoping to put about 300 Km on this week if only to catch the pesky pacer who's now some 40+ Km ahead.

Got a milestone in about 22 Km. Don't know if its a new postcard or just a town / village that I pass through, whatever I'll post it on here.

Stay safe, love to all.

Mark
  • Options
    Hi guys, so another 46Km has in fact resulted in 2 postcards so here they are complete with a little information regarding each one.

Split the distance into 2 separate rides with one at 4pm and the other at 10.30pm for no other reason than just because. I may do the same Tuesday it really depends on my mindset after I drop the missus off to shop with her mate.

Anyhow 565.8 Km into it now which is nice because the distance to completion is now under 3,000 Km and that's a target ticked off.

There are a couple more postcards within a hard ride and I might try and get them both in one hit, then after that it's 702 km for 20% done and a tree (Yipee).

Am I enjoying it still? Well I have this mantra which goes "I may as well train. I'm in a bad mood anyway". Some days it's great and I love it others are cr4p and I would rather be anywhere else than sitting on a saddle grinding out Kilometres.

Still one day I won't be able to do stuff like this and that's the great motivator.

Enjoy your day.

Mutianyu Wall is fully-rebuilt and in complete contrast to Gubeikou’s wild and ruinous appearance. Constructed out of slabs of granite, as per the original Ming design, Mutianyu is approximately 1.8mi (3km) long and has 23 watchtowers spaced at 330ft (100m) intervals.

Mutianyu was first built during the 6th century but as with most of the Wall pre-Ming era, it no longer exists. During the early Ming period (14thC), the Wall was built a second time on the same site by General Xu Da.

Restored in 1986, Mutianyu is considered to be the best-preserved and the most scenic part of the Wall year-round. Located within Mutian Valley, with each passing season the Wall is a kaleidoscope of colour. In spring and summer, it is green and blossoming. In autumn it turns from crimson to amber to yellow. As the final leaves fall the white snow of winter ushers in.

Heading east to west, the first tower was at the junction of three paths. Known as Big Corner Tower, it is placed in such a way that only the corners are visible from any angle, hence its name.

After a couple of towers there is a steep descent that leads to Zhengguan Terrace. Made up of a large central tower flanked by two smaller ones, this type of build is a unique feature along the Wall. The three towers, connected by a 130ft (40m) long terrace, were used to store grains and station troops.

The path meanders up and down from here on a beautifully restored Wall. The earthy coloured bricks with softer, worn edges seem much more at home with the landscape than the sharp-edged, dark grey colours of Huangyaguan. It is interesting to observe the different approaches to restoration projects.

As the Wall snakes up and down the hills, I can’t help but liken it to a serpentine dragon lying across the mountains with the sawtooth path as the dragon’s scales.

Where Mutianyu was beautifully restored, Jiankou is completely wild and ruined. Traversing steep ridges through dense vegetation, Jiankou is one of the most dangerous sections of the Wall. The bricks are broken, the walls collapsed and the path often vanishes before it reappears again. It is a wildly adventurous section, almost on par with Simatai.

The most exciting part of this Wall is the Eagle Flying Tower. Built on steep cliffs, the Wall has near vertical steps on both sides of the peak. On the left side the path requires scrambling up crumbled walls and endless sections of rubble. On the right side the descending stairs, known as Heavenly Ladder, lean at 85-degrees angle.

They are so narrow at the top that only one person could pass at a time. Each step is shallow horizontally and deep vertically, making it difficult to climb down. It would be easier getting down in a sitting position than standing up.

Several towers are engulfed by trees, their canopies peeking through the broken rooftops that once served as battlements. Once again I marvel at the structure and try to imagine the many workers that toiled in all kinds of weather conditions building this.

So much of Jiankou has been dilapidated that between 2015-2019 a huge repair project was undertaken. A half mile (750m) long section was faithfully restored, focusing on strengthening the walls, fixing broken bricks and clearing the dense thicket. A few trees that have grown through the bricks have been left there whilst others were removed to clear the path.

What raises my curiosity though are the two Mandarin signs that say “No Tourists” whilst at the same time there are signs dotted along the path directed at tourists. Another question is, why do the restoration if it’s not geared at tourism? The answers are elusive but there is no doubt that Jiankou is an explorer’s paradise.

Until next time guys,

Stay safe, love to all.

Mark
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,501

"Anyhow 565.8 Km into it..."

Say it quickly, & it does not sound far, but it's (roughly) the equivalent of cycling from London to Glasgow. Fair old ride that.

Keep it going Mark.
  • Options
    Just back from the gym and another 45Km bagged and tagged.

It would appear that I've also earned 2 more postcards so as per usual here for your perusal, enjoyment and education they are.

The challenge is now entering a bit of a boring section. There is another postcard in 12Km then its another 75 Km to the town of Longbaoshancun with the 20% marker and the first tree a further 6.5Km after that.

So at the moment its 610.8 Km and I'm really hopeful of reaching that 20% marker by Saturday morning.

Will keep you informed.

Enjoy the day.

Remember when the wall at Panjiakou was submerged beneath a dam? Huanghuacheng is another that was buried beneath the water.

When this Ming section was built, it took 188 years to complete. Towards the end of its construction time, scheming officials informed the emperor that General Cai Kai, who was in charge of the build at the time, was spending too much time and money on a sloppy job. The emperor, in his anger, ordered the general to be executed. It dawned on him later that perhaps he should have had the Wall inspected. Following a survey report, it was discovered that the Wall was actually very well built, solid, steep and fortified. Realising his mistake, the emperor ordered a monument to be erected in honour of the general.

Fast forward to modern times and Huanghuacheng is now divided by a reservoir to the west and a lake to the east. Several sections of the Wall are under water, of which two are accessed via dams. One of the submerged sections is not directly connected but a short path skirts around the water providing access to the other side. The third connection is over a glass-decked bridge.

The Wall between the reservoir and lake is in a ruinous state, with most of its sides completely destroyed, the watchtowers collapsed and trees growing through them. The original pavements are long gone and the trail is filled with wild vegetation, leaving only a narrow single-person track to hike through.

Huanghuacheng offers spectacular views of mountains, lakes and the ever-present snaking Wall ribboning over the ridges.

Juyongguan, translated as Juyong Pass, was a solid stronghold and one of three very important passes. The other two were Shanhaiguan to the far east and Jiayuguan to the far west. Located in Guangou Valley it is flanked by Cuiping and Jingui Mountains.

The current structure is a modern renovation of the pass built by the Ming in the late 14th century with the earliest fortification dating to pre-Qin Dynasty (221BC).

In 1211, Mongol Emperor Genghis Khan breached the Juyong Pass not once but twice in his conquest of China.

Genghis Kahn was the founder of the Mongol Empire and a formidable military leader. During the Jin Dynasty (12th-13th centuries), on one of his campaigns, the Khan lured the Jin army to a field battle at Juyong Pass. Once outside the gates, the Khan’s soldiers retreated knowing full well the Jin soldiers would give chase and leave the Pass unattended. The Jin were swiftly surrounded as the greater Mongol army appeared from the nearby mountains. Deceived and defeated, the Pass was breached and ransacked.

Barely two years later, Juyong Pass was once again under attack by Genghis. This time, the Jin soldiers sealed the north gate but Genghis, not to be outdone, took an alternative route. He travelled over 120mi (190km) southwest to the next but less-guarded pass, crossed it and returned to Juyongguan, attacking it from the south gate and recapturing it.

Juyongguan is a circular route that can be tackled either from the north gate or the south gate. A total of 14 watchtowers are dotted along this 2mi (3.2km) stretch. The width of the wall varies from as little as 4ft (1.2m) to as wide as 55ft (17m).

The path heading west climbs about 2,000ft (600m) up Jingui Mountain to the highest tower. As a steep climb, it is sometimes exacerbated by the steps that can range anywhere between a few inches to 2ft (61cm) in height. The east side is gentler with great views of the fort, the high watchtowers over the two gates and the river pass.

Being close to Beijing, it is a highly trafficked destination putting a lot of strain on the Wall and its ongoing maintenance.

Okay guys stay safe, love to all.

Mark

• Options
    Morning all, It's fairly brief today.

A pitiful 32Km added yesterday as my legs steadfastly refused to work the way they were designed to. Going to change the routine to 3 days on followed by a non cycling day when I shall probably do Hyrox training or such like. First Hyrox day will be Sunday.

Anyhow another postcard earned as I get toward the first major milestone and the running total ticks over to 642.8Km.

First built in 1505 to protect the Juyong Pass, Badaling was fully restored in the 1950s and was the first section to open to tourism. Badaling is also the last major tourist centre and is where the Wall that most people know about ends.

Stretching across mountain ridges, the width of the Wall is 19ft (5.7m), intentionally built to accommodate five horsemen galloping across side by side or ten soldiers marching shoulder to shoulder. Split into north and south, Badaling has 30 watchtowers – eight south of the main gate and 12 north of it. Its highest point is at 3,300ft (1,500m) with grand panoramic views of lush landscape and rocky terrain. Boardwalks and railings have been installed as part of the renovations.

Close to Beijing, Badaling was a major defence border on the northern frontier. When Genghis Khan unified the Mongolian tribes and established his empire, he set his sights on China. Many military conquests north of the Wall ensued over the next sixty years until his grandson, Kublai Khan, ascended the throne as Mongol Emperor in 1260. Establishing the Yuan Dynasty a decade later, he set up his capital in modern-day Beijing. When in 1279, he conquered the Song Dynasty in southern China, Kublai reunified the country and became the first Mongol to rule all of China. The Yuan Dynasty ruled until 1368 when they were defeated by the rebel leader Zhou Yuanzhang, who founded the Ming Dynasty.

Famous merchant and explorer, Marco Polo, spent 17 years in Kublai Khan’s court. He learned the language and served as a messenger. He was promoted several times to government official positions, something that was unheard of before, when most of China was closed to foreigners. Kublai Khan encouraged foreign trade and many envoys travelled by sea to visit China. When Polo returned to Venice, it was a turbulent time and he found himself thrown in jail. It was in jail where he penned his book, ‘The Travels of Marco Polo’. For a long time, his book was seen more as fiction than fact but in recent times his accounts have been verified by academics and other explorers.

When Christopher Columbus set off across the Atlantic two hundred years later, he carried with him Marco Polo’s book. Fact or fiction, Marco Polo inspired generations of globetrotting adventurers.

Enjoy your day, stay safe and love to all.

Mark